TPMS - solar tireminder - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2018, 01:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
TPMS - solar tireminder

Still no reviews of the Tireminder solar system. I am reluctant to pull the trigger until someone, somewhere, has something to say about it. Has anyone on here heard anything, or does someone have anything to say about the system?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
Still no reviews of the Tireminder solar system. I am reluctant to pull the trigger until someone, somewhere, has something to say about it. Has anyone on here heard anything, or does someone have anything to say about the system?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Allan I just finished watching this, it might interest you.

https://youtu.be/DMBh12HAEow

Cheers
Doug
Old 03-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #3

Thanks Doug, I had a look at it. There is also a demo video on the Tireminder site as well.

It would be nice to hear about some longer term, first hand experience. Tireminder seems to be doing something different with this unit, so I am reluctant to assume that the favorable reviews of their other models mean much.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 E19'
I went ahead and grabbed one, since Amazon lowered the price down to $136 from $186, and my domestic purchasing manager finally gave her approval. It has since crept back up to $140 or so, but that sure beats the old $186 on Amazon and the $200 from Tireminder, Tweedy's, and formerly at Camping World (it was since on sale for less, but now they only show the 2 sender version for $126, they formerly had the 4 sender version for $175 or so). I had been in touch with Todd in TireMinder's customer service with a few questions - see relevant postings starting at

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f10/tire-pressure-monitoring-systems-6907-12.html

and asked if they would do a group buy, but never got a response, so I took that to be a "No". Even if they did, it's not likely that they would have come down much below the Amazon price.

The unit seems to work fine, both with and without the included signal booster - we want the option to unhitch, leave the trailer behind, and use the TireMinder senders and monitor on our 4Runner tow vehicle (without using the signal booster) when traveling trailer-less off-pavement on bad dirt roads.

For use on our 2017 Honda Accord, I got one of these for $70 (now up to $80), and like it since it lets you specify the low and high pressure and high temperature alarm parameters

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

while the TireMinder apparently has the alarm parameters hardcoded as:

Pressure loss of 3 PSI or more in less than 2 minutes.
Pressure loss of 6 PSI or more in 2 to 10 minutes.
Pressure loss of 15% or more of the baseline pressure.
Pressure increase of 20% or more of the baseline pressure.
Internal tire temperature of 167°F (75°C).
Internal tire temperature that exceeds 185°F (85°C)

but I like that it's smart enough to take the rate of deflation into account.

I'm hoping to use the Blueskysea unit for the 4Runner concurrent with the TireMinder on the trailer - if there is no interference between the two. Both the Honda and the 4Runner have the less-useful global idiot light that only tells you that there is a problem - no idea which tire it is, and no temperature indication. So far I have tried the TireMinder on the tow vehicle both with and without the signal booster, and the Blueskysea unit on the 4Runner, the Honda, and the trailer with no apparent communication problems with the trailer, even though it's not specifically intended for trailer use.

The plan is to try the TireMinder and Blueskysea together the next time I have the trailer out of storage, and hope they play well together. They both transmit at 433 MHz, but there must be more to it than just the frequency, else it couldn't differentiate from amongst the 4 tires. Maybe it has some sort of packet addressing scheme or something? Anyhow, if the TireMinder and Blueskysea units are happy with each other, I'll order another Blueskysea unit and use one on the Honda and the other on the 4Runner along with the TireMinder.

TireMinder gripes: After a few seconds the display dims way down so it's real hard to see in the daylight; you have to manually turn it on and off (the Blueskysea is motion activated so it wakes up from hibernation when the vehicle moves, but it still has a real on/off too); and the over/under pressure and over temperature alarm only beeps and flashes for maybe 10 seconds, then shuts up (the Blueskysea unit just keeps beeping and flashing till you do something).

The TireMinder is absolutely miniscule - fits in the palm of your hand - and can be stuck permanently on the windshield, whereas the Blueskysea unit is a good bit larger, but still compact.

I have only very limited experience with both of these systems, so can't speak to longevity questions.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post

TireMinder gripes: After a few seconds the display dims way down so it's real hard to see in the daylight; you have to manually turn it on and off (the Blueskysea is motion activated so it wakes up from hibernation when the vehicle moves, but it still has a real on/off too); and the over/under pressure and over temperature alarm only beeps and flashes for maybe 10 seconds, then shuts up (the Blueskysea unit just keeps beeping and flashing till you do something).

The TireMinder is absolutely miniscule - fits in the palm of your hand - and can be stuck permanently on the windshield, whereas the Blueskysea unit is a good bit larger, but still compact.

I have only very limited experience with both of these systems, so can't speak to longevity questions.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Do I understand correctly that the only time that the display reads brightly is for several seconds after you press the on switch? Does it always go dim even when the vehicle is moving? Having to depress a switch any time I want to read it is a non-starter for me.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Do I understand correctly that the only time that the display reads brightly is for several seconds after you press the on switch? Does it always go dim even when the vehicle is moving? Having to depress a switch any time I want to read it is a non-starter for me.
Yes - that's exactly what I'm seeing, although today it was somewhat sunny in Seattle (!), and the dim setting maybe really wasn't too terribly dim - still readable but definitely on the dim side. I just wish it would stay at full brightness all the time. I suppose the argument is that when it alarms due to over/under pressure or over temperature, it goes to full brightness while beeping and blinking. I was planning to ask TireMinder about this, but there's no menu as such anywhere and I doubt that there's a jumper or something inside, so I'm not too optimistic. Given the good price and the signal booster, I think I'd rather have a nice strong signal than convenience. It's easy enough to hit the power button to have a few seconds of full brightness when desired - a good job for the co-pilot.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #7

Thanks for the clarification. As long as I can read it, that will suffice. By any remote chance, have you read it with sunglasses on? Polarized ones? And, I suppose that as long as the alarm function is effective, that might work even better than looking at the display periodically anyway. The alarm criteria you mention look good to me, although I am not sure how a valve cap sensor reads internal tire temperature.

Re. the dimming, my guess is that it is to save battery power. The solar charging area is small, and radios use power, and of course color LCDs do too. It will be interesting to hear what Tireminder has to say about it.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. As long as I can read it, that will suffice. By any remote chance, have you read it with sunglasses on? Polarized ones? And, I suppose that as long as the alarm function is effective, that might work even better than looking at the display periodically anyway.
Well, the big yellow thing in the sky is up there two days in a row in Seattle, so I just went out and looked at the TireMinder Solar and the Blueskysea both in shaded (but bright) and direct sunlight. They both dim down quite a bit when seen through sunglasses (not positive but I think they're polarized), the Blueskysea unit less so than the TireMinder Solar, but it's brighter to start with. The Blueskysea display looks to have more contrast than without sunglasses, but is still dim. Sorry, but this brightness business is all kind of subjective. They both have a nice attention-getting beep, so unless you're asleep at the wheel or have the music cranked up louder than it should be for attentive driving, the alarm should let you know about any issues.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #9

Thanks very much for the information - duly noted, and very helpful. I am still on the fence on this one, still considering the TST unit as well. It would be nice on long trips to have good TPMS on the tug as well rather than just the idiot light that came with our truck. Decisions, decisions.

Cheers,

Allan
Old 05-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
My Review of Solar Powered Tire Minder

This review covers installation on a 5.0TA.

While at Bayview Campground after delivery I finished the installation of the Tire Minder system. I had already installed and programed the display in my tow vehicle before leaving home; the only thing left was to install the valve sensors on the trailer tires. Each sensor has its location number labeled on the sensor top. Sensor 1 = Front DS, Sensor2 = Front PS, Sensor 3 rear PS and Sensor 4 rear DS

I tried the system without connecting the booster that comes with the kit, but the display kept losing the signal from the front DS tire of the trailer. Since I had ETI install a twelve volt drop in the front exterior storage compartment. I used this location to mount and test the booster, when connected the booster will indicate power with a green light.

I no longer lost any signal for any of the sensors the remainder of the trip. I tested the alert portion by letting air out of one tire and the display immediately sounded the alarm with a beeping sound and the location of the tire on the display was flashing.

The box contains the display, 4 wheel sensors, two wafer battery packs for a total of eight batteries, the booster, Short USB Cable, zip ties, extra double stick tape, lock nuts for the sensors with tool and instructions.

There are three buttons at the top of the display and the display will rotate some. After being turned on, the display will dim after a short time, but one push of the top center button will brighten the display and the display is easy to program.

So far I like the system and has worked well for the short time I have had it. System is solar rechargeable and can also be charged by USB cable on the right side of the display. The display gives you PSI and Temperature. I assume the air temperature reading is collected from the air at the valve stem given the low temperatures I saw.

Note: Since the USB cable port is on the right side of the display. You want to be mindful of this when mounting the display against the windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire Minder_DSC_1999.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #11

Glad to see that Kent seems happy with the product, and I finally have an update on mine. I was hoping to run the Tire Minder Solar TPMS on the trailer concurrent with a relatively cheap TPMS for the tow vehicle (see previous posts), but was concerned that since the 2 TPMS's both transmit at 433 MHz, there would be some interference between the two systems. I got our trailer out of storage for its monthly stuff - drive it home the long way to get the wheel bearings spun up and exercise the brakes, fire up all the appliances, run all the gadgets, equalize charge the batteries.

Got through all that, then installed all 8 senders on the valve stems. Aired all tires up to 50 psi, then one at a time lowered them to 45 psi, noting that the lowered tire showed up in the correct spot on the monitors and was accurate. Did the tow vehicle first, then the trailer. Then lowered them to 40 psi, starting with the trailer this time. Same thing - correct spots on the monitors and accurate - and no apparent data collisions between the 2 systems. Reproducible results are a good thing, but it was a real mind-numbing process airing down tires and checking 16 times. Everything seems stable and while the tow vehicle TPMS consistently read 1 or maybe 2 psi higher than actual pressure, the Tire Minder was spot on w.r.t the tire pressure gauge.

As part of the testing, it was nice to check the rapid deflation warning alarm:

Pressure loss of 3 PSI or more in less than 2 minutes.

When I aired down the 5 psi in a short time span, I got the rapid deflation alarm, even though the pressure was still within the acceptable pressure range.

I give it 5 stars!
Old 05-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Thanks for the write-up. Always nice to read a review where you know the usage of the product is the same as what you want to do.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #13

An Overdue Update

Since my last post in this thread, I've towed around 2,300 miles using the TireMinder Solar TPMS on 5 separate trips, from below freezing to the upper 90's, and the TPMS has performed perfectly - it's been accurate, with not a single signal loss issue. It even shows changes in PSI when one side of the trailer goes from sunshine to shade and back - very entertaining to watch.

I have had a few exchanges with the folks at TireMinder - a few questions and ordering spare jam nuts and wrenches - and have been very happy with their customer support.

I see that fully 18% of the reviews on Amazon are for 1 star out of 5, and am not sure what to think about that...
Old 01-04-2019, 01:41 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Thanks for the follow up on these. They’ve been on my “want” list for some time. These or a set of TST TPMS’s with internal sensors...hmmm...
Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I see that fully 18% of the reviews on Amazon are for 1 star out of 5, and am not sure what to think about that...
Amazon reviews can be helpful, but I've learned over the years to take them mostly with a grain of salt. I've been burned by 5 star reviews for products that turned out to be junk, and 1 and 2 star reviews for products that are excellent.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
It even shows changes in PSI when one side of the trailer goes from sunshine to shade and back - very entertaining to watch.
Easily entertained, eh?

Good to hear your what your experiences were. I am considering one, but man these things are pricey, at least three tire replacements worth.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #17

Trailer: ?
I used this one successfully on a Casita 17'. Since the kit included four sensors and the Casita only had two wheels, I put a sensor on the spare tire.
I was doubtful it would work on the spare since the sensor was pointed away from the receiving unit plus covered with the tire cover, but it did.

I'm putting the same system on my 21' just not on the spare.

Ed

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075848KTW...v_ov_lig_dp_it
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Easily entertained, eh?

Yep - small minds and easy entertainment.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I'm following this thread with interest. As older tow vehicle TPMS acts up and requires expensive replacements and reprogramming I was thinking about how nice a system would be that handled 8 tires. A search looks like they exist, but not by TireMinder. Does anyone know why? Are there other brands that are recommended that might have options for more tires?
Old 01-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #20

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I'm following this thread with interest. As older tow vehicle TPMS acts up and requires expensive replacements and reprogramming I was thinking about how nice a system would be that handled 8 tires. A search looks like they exist, but not by TireMinder. Does anyone know why? Are there other brands that are recommended that might have options for more tires?
Tire Minder has systems that can handle up to 22 tires.
Had their system on a motothome. Worked well.

https://www.minderresearch.com/tirem...s-and-trailer/

The New TireMinder TM-77-6 Tire Pressure Monitoring System features updated software and a large display to make monitoring your RV, Motorhome, 5th Wheel, Motor Coach, or Trailer easier than ever.
Large, crystal-clear 3.25” display Monitors up to 22 tires (0 to 232 PSI) Visual, audible, and blow-out alarms Checks for tire issues every 6 seconds Low-/high-pressure and high-temp alerts
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote