Trailer Hitch Coupler - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
tdf - sounds very similar to what a cop buddy of mine told me. Most criminals are lazy and go for the easy route whenever possible - thus the reason most of them are criminals in the first place! He also said, luckily, most of them aren't the brightest lights either.

We'd all be in big trouble if they were all Professor Moriarty.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #22

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
From a policeman friend, thieves don't care if the coupler has a lock. It's easier and faster to just connect the safety chains and drive off. He said to use a good cable lock around the axle and through the wheels. They have to cut it which takes more time.
I agree with that. My thinking is that a coupler lock will deter the ones that prefer to hook up and tow away. I know about chaining to a truck and hauling away and that would be a lot easier to do with a smaller trailer. Just in case, I also plan on getting a wheel boot like device like NW Cat got to prevent a gung-ho thief from towing it away despite the coupler lock.

We live in an area where this kind of thing just does not happen, knock on wood, but leaving trailer in a campground while out for the day with what we have been seeing lately is worrisome. Battery powered grinders will eat chain/cable easily.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
When I researched coupler locks last year while waiting for trailer build, I was impressed with the Proven lock and it went to top of my list. So glad to see yours installed. How do you like it ? I am ready to purchase, red cap of course.
too early to tell..... seems to be the most heavy duty coupler lock around.

I'll use it alongside a sturdy wheel clamp, so i think most thieves would not bother trying to remove 2 sturdy locking devices.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
They might see all that security and figure there must be something valuable in the trailer.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #25

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
They might see all that security and figure there must be something valuable in the trailer.
Well they are welcome to our towels, dishes and clothes as anything of real value goes with us and locked in truck with a better door.

Trailer door hinge is held in place with a handful of Robertson screws. Opening time = 30 seconds. The coupler / wheel locks will protect our investment in the trailer itself.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Well they are welcome to our towels, dishes and clothes as anything of real value goes with us and locked in truck with a better door.

Trailer door hinge is held in place with a handful of Robertson screws. Opening time = 30 seconds. The coupler / wheel locks will protect our investment in the trailer itself.
Hmmmmm never thought of the trailer door hinge screws as a weak point.

Any clever way to slow down a thief , at that point?

Neatly epoxy the screw heads over? (Just the heads)

?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #27

Well, I will replace the hinge screws with security style ones that will only slow a casual opportunistic thief. This looks like a the same screw there now but has a built in center pin so that you can not insert the driver bit unless the driver bit but has a center hole. Not totally foolproof of course but will deter an opportunist roaming a campground. These security drivers are not sold at big box stores but exists.

Epoxy will work as well but you might need to remove the door one day.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Well, I will replace the hinge screws with security style ones that will only slow a casual opportunistic thief. This looks like a the same screw there now but has a built in center pin so that you can not insert the driver bit unless the driver bit but has a center hole. Not totally foolproof of course but will deter an opportunist roaming a campground. These security drivers are not sold at big box stores but exists.

cool idea.

Once you buy them, and get them installed, if you happen to think of it, could you please post a web link here?

I'm a bit handy, but unsure of what to buy.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Once you buy them, and get them installed, if you happen to think of it, could you please post a web link here?
Be happy to John. Right now am busy with our project house and installing 300 amp-hr 6 volt batteries inside the trailer, one next to each wheel well for side to side balance. Then the Xantrax True Charger that feeds them.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm a bit handy, but unsure of what to buy

Insurance.....
Old 01-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #31

Well insurance helps to recover but its nice to deter an opportunist. I see the torx security driver bits are everywhere !!!! I remember needing to show my ID at an industrial shop years ago. Well its better than nothing but there has to be a better solution.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
. Well its better than nothing but there has to be a better solution.
I put my faith in my alarm system. The din is so loud that I believe that most crooks that might force the door won't linger long enough to grab much.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Be happy to John. Right now am busy with our project house and installing 300 amp-hr 6 volt batteries inside the trailer, one next to each wheel well for side to side balance. Then the Xantrax True Charger that feeds them.
Thanks for the kind offer.

But I just went and looked at my door on our 2017 21' and with the new style of door - no screws visible.

So no need. Thanks anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5143a.jpg  
Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #34

John, that's great news ! Well one less thing for you to worry about. For the rest of us on the Classic side I am sorry to see the security torx drives sold everywhere now. What's the point, any crook would have a complete set. There are those one way screws used in bathroom stalls that are very difficult to back out. Honestly, the best policy is to NOT go away sight seeing and leave valuables in the trailer. Am happy for all the new style owners with the flat door.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I put my faith in my alarm system. The din is so loud that I believe that most crooks that might force the door won't linger long enough to grab much.

Ron
I agree an alarm could be plan B for us. There are other backup plans should we be in the trailer and an uninvited guest decides to visit. Not a pretty story.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

A local company that installs security bars on basement windows taps a lead ball into a Robertson head screw. It is sized to fit snug. When I first came across this and tried to get the screws out I had trouble, then realized it was real easy to get the right sized drill bit, and that got the plug out easy. A thief would not likely be as resourceful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Something simple like an alarm, or some kind of tracking device sounds not too bad.

As mentioned before, I am just not going to worry too much about it. I am more likely to get trampled by a herd of elephants than get my trailer stolen. I have rarely heard of it happening, and never from a campsite.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As mentioned before, I am just not going to worry too much about it. I am more likely to get trampled by a herd of elephants than get my trailer stolen. I have rarely heard of it happening, and never from a campsite.
Well Jim, a crook is welcome to take whatever is inside as long as its not the entire trailer and we are not inside at the time as that leads to unwanted drama.

For a variety of reasons I won't get into, campgrounds in the US, specifically California, are experiencing challenges that did not exist years ago. None of this existed 10 years ago. The population is changing. I suspect its worst here in the Golden State. I used to hike local mountains, can't anymore.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am more likely to get trampled by a herd of elephants than get my trailer stolen. I have rarely heard of it happening, and never from a campsite.
Are those Albertan camels?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Nope, that would be wapiti. We have lots of them in big herds.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #40

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
We have them all!! In the zoo