Trailer Hitch Coupler - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Trailer Hitch Coupler

Hi all,
I have an Escape 17B due for delivery in March. I am going to purchase a trailer hitch coupler lock from Proven Industries before I pick up my trailer. Can someone provide me a picture of a new Escape 17ft trailer coupler so I can show it to these guys to ensure I'm ordering the right lock?

I contacted Escape as to the brand / model of the trailer coupler on the new Escape 17ft trailers and they let me know it is a generic coupler built overseas with no brand or model number. So in order to make sure I get the right lock I'd like to show Proven Industries the current trailer coupler. They recommend model 2178-A that fits the Atwood Yoke Latch coupler but I have no way of knowing if the current Escape 17ft trailer coupler is the same as an Atwood or not. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2017, 11:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Hi all,
I have an Escape 17B due for delivery in March. I am going to purchase a trailer hitch coupler lock from Proven Industries before I pick up my trailer. Can someone provide me a picture of a new Escape 17ft trailer coupler so I can show it to these guys to ensure I'm ordering the right lock?

I contacted Escape as to the brand / model of the trailer coupler on the new Escape 17ft trailers and they let me know it is a generic coupler built overseas with no brand or model number. So in order to make sure I get the right lock I'd like to show Proven Industries the current trailer coupler. They recommend model 2178-A that fits the Atwood Yoke Latch coupler but I have no way of knowing if the current Escape 17ft trailer coupler is the same as an Atwood or not. Thanks!

Others have used the 2178-A on their Escape and it fits. The coupler is the same for all Escape models.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Had to replace the stock coupler -an Atwood knockoff made in China labelled RAM. You can buy it for $20 online or an Atwood for $30. Since changing it out we have much fewer problems hitching and especially unhitching. Too bad for $10 more Escape doesn't use a quality part made in North America. If you can supply your own coupler that would be an upgrade worth considering.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Had to replace the stock coupler -an Atwood knockoff made in China labelled RAM. You can buy it for $20 online or an Atwood for $30. Since changing it out we have much fewer problems hitching and especially unhitching. Too bad for $10 more Escape doesn't use a quality part made in North America. If you can supply your own coupler that would be an upgrade worth considering.
Yes, I thought of that also. Figured it was an inexpensive coupler on the trailer now and I'd replace it with something more substantial at a later date.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Others have used the 2178-A on their Escape and it fits. The coupler is the same for all Escape models.

I wasn't sure if the coupler had changed or not with the new Escape 17ft model. Figured it was worth checking. Thanks
Old 01-05-2017, 12:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Yes, I thought of that also. Figured it was an inexpensive coupler on the trailer now and I'd replace it with something more substantial at a later date.
The part isn't expensive but the labor to R & R it is.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I think after towing your trailer for eight years, you'll decide that you really don't have an issue that needs fixing.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Couoplers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think after towing your trailer for eight years, you'll decide that you really don't have an issue that needs fixing.
Over center yolk type latches are all pretty much the same. I have a utility trailer with an unmarked coupler, a boat trailer with an unmarked coupler, and we have a 2010 Escape too. The same lock fits on all and they all work on Valley, Curt, Reese and Draw Tite two inch balls, I like a little grease on the ball, up inside the coupler, and on the knees of my pants when I forget my ball cover. 45,000 miles of towing and that greasy off-shore coupler continues to perform flawlessly. I could change it out for the price of a new one as I have the tools to remove the old one and certified welders as friends but why? Get the lock, I firmly believe it will work on the coupler you described. Have a great day
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
According to several forum posts (posted in April) on the Proven Industries lock, the correct model number for the lock is 2516-A, not 2178. ( Being a complete newbie, I "screen-shot" important forum information. Since almost everything is deemed by me
"important information," I now have more jpgs of forum posts than I have photos of grandchildren in my iPhoto's...)
Nrgtic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgtic4 View Post
According to several forum posts (posted in April) on the Proven Industries lock, the correct model number for the lock is 2516-A, not 2178. ( Being a complete newbie, I "screen-shot" important forum information. Since almost everything is deemed by me
"important information," I now have more jpgs of forum posts than I have photos of grandchildren in my iPhoto's...)
I want to be very clear here.....the Proven Industries model 2516-A lock is for a 2 5/16 inch coupler and model 2178-A is for a 2 inch coupler. It's very clear on their website....and the Escape 17ft takes a 2 inch ball per my asking Escape. Just so someone doesn't order the wrong coupler lock.....
Old 01-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
I want to be very clear here.....the Proven Industries model 2516-A lock is for a 2 5/16 inch coupler and model 2178-A is for a 2 inch coupler. It's very clear on their website....and the Escape 17ft takes a 2 inch ball per my asking Escape. Just so someone doesn't order the wrong coupler lock.....
Not sure what website you are looking at, but this is the info that I have:

Atwood coupler lock | best trailer lock online

"Model 2516-A (Fit's 2'' and 2 5/16 Atwood Yoke Latch Couplers)"

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Not sure what website you are looking at, but this is the info that I have:

Atwood coupler lock | best trailer lock online

"Model 2516-A (Fit's 2'' and 2 5/16 Atwood Yoke Latch Couplers)"

This is the site I'm ordering from:
Products | Proven Industries - Best Trailer Locks
Old 01-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Proven Industries coupler lock

I just received one a couple of months ago for my 2016 19' Escape. I can confirm that you want the 2178 it is the one with the blue puck lock.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #14

Quote:
This is the site I'm ordering from:
Products | Proven Industries - Best Trailer Locks
Just called Escape and Proven Industries. Escape confirmed all their trailers have a 2 inch coupler. Called Proven Industries....the Atwood style coupler is different than the coupler Escape is using.

So the model 2178-A is the one you want. The model 2516-A will not fit an Escape because the coupler configuration is a yoke style and the ball size is 2 5/16 which is too big for an Escape coupler.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Sorry for wrong info... I was only going by my "screen shot" of these forum posts:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...lock-7582.html
Nrgtic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Just called Escape and Proven Industries. Escape confirmed all their trailers have a 2 inch coupler. Called Proven Industries....the Atwood style coupler is different than the coupler Escape is using.

So the model 2178-A is the one you want. The model 2516-A will not fit an Escape because the coupler configuration is a yoke style and the ball size is 2 5/16 which is too big for an Escape coupler.
I was told by Proven a few months ago to buy the 2516-a

I bought one

Here it is, installed today on my 2017 21' Escape

Seems to fit just fine.

and

to the best of my knowledge - ETI uses a (2") Ram brand coupler that is very, very similar to an Atwood.

oh and Hugh - the puck color is selected as you check out - you can get blue, or red, IIRC.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5139.jpg   IMG_5140.jpg   IMG_5141.jpg  
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #17

Quote:

I bought one

Seems to fit just fine.

and

to the best of my knowledge - ETI uses a (2") Ram brand coupler that is very, very similar to an Atwood.

oh and Hugh - the puck color is selected as you check out - you can get blue, or red, IIRC.
Interesting. Let me see if I can get to the bottom of this.....I'm back on the phone.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #18

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Seems to fit just fine.
you can get blue, or red, IIRC.
When I researched coupler locks last year while waiting for trailer build, I was impressed with the Proven lock and it went to top of my list. So glad to see yours installed. How do you like it ? I am ready to purchase, red cap of course.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
From a policeman friend, thieves don't care if the coupler has a lock. It's easier and faster to just connect the safety chains and drive off. He said to use a good cable lock around the axle and through the wheels. They have to cut it which takes more time.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've been using one like this for eight years, but mine is cheaper and less secure. Seems to be working.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 12.37.32 PM.png