Trailer Towing and the Law - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
I remember watching a motor home (pulling a car), pull into a narrow dead-end road in downtown New Orleans. I stayed to see if the guy needed any help but he got out, unhitched the car, did a nice K-turn, hitched the car back up, and was on his way. It didn't take him more than five or ten minutes. He was obviously a very experienced driver.

I also saw, in downtown Salt Lake City, a truck with a slide-in camper smash the camper roof into the overhead as it tried to enter a parking garage. I don't know if the driver was trying for an insurance claim or just so frustrated he wasn't thinking straight, but he backed up and rammed the overhead again, peeling back at least three feet on the roof of the camper.

Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 17B
I'd like to recommend the Garmin RV GPS. Although it only takes RV lengths, no accounting for TV and trailer, I found it excellent for routing. I gave it a slightly shorter length than the actual measurement. the real reason I loved it was that when one was approaching a turn it would say something like 'take either of the two left lanes' or 'stay in the second lane from the right'. Stuff I found absolutely priceless, along with knowing which exits, etc. were good. Especially when one travels alone. Maybe other new brands give this depth of information but it is a first for me.

Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' , 2008 Airstream 19'
I was wondering about trailer use of HOV lanes here in California. I pulled into one while towing and immediately wondered why I had done it. I could only go 55mph by law and was blocking traffic. It also occurred to me that the law says trailers are limited to the 2 right lanes. I pulled out at the first opportunity and will not ever return. Typical auto speeds can reach 80 at times in the HOV lanes, so I think it best to stay where we are more comfortable and not pissing everyone off.
As to parking lots I have found it best to plan ahead, and not rely on backing up unless it can't be avoided. I will take up as many parking slots as necessary to get my shopping done. Two slots head to head is best, as it only ties up 2 spaces, but not always possible in smaller lots. While camping in Dana Point last week we had to pass up several restaurants due to architectural problems with their parking layouts. We finally found one that worked.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:00 AM   #14

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' , 2008 Airstream 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally P View Post
I'd like to recommend the Garmin RV GPS. Although it only takes RV lengths, no accounting for TV and trailer, I found it excellent for routing. I gave it a slightly shorter length than the actual measurement. the real reason I loved it was that when one was approaching a turn it would say something like 'take either of the two left lanes' or 'stay in the second lane from the right'. Stuff I found absolutely priceless, along with knowing which exits, etc. were good. Especially when one travels alone. Maybe other new brands give this depth of information but it is a first for me.
Sally,
Good to hear Garmin has cleaned up their act in the maps department. I have used Garmin maps since 2002, and have found them to be about 5 to 6 years behind the road development. Never could trust them without my own dead reckoning skills. They spent way more time developing their anti-pirating locks than keeping up with road changes. As if someone would want to steal a 6 year old obsolete map..... Their hardware has always worked well though.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneM. View Post
What a great idea! Pity there's not an app that does the same thing.
Try this...
RV GPS app
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:33 AM   #16

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Not sure about HOV lanes, but a many said, I'd avoid them because of the lane changes etc. The one special highway regulation I came against was the slower speed limit in California for trucks, and vehicles pulling trailers. They are limited to 55mph statewide. However, in Southern California they are all going like a bat out of hell, so on my way back home I did the same. Evidently there is a difference between Southern and Northern California because I got $200 ticket for traveling 65 mph in a 65 mph zone.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:52 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
This might be a good site (click on state or province):

Towing World Official Website
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:25 AM   #18

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
From the CHP website.

Trucks and Cars with Trailers:
Any vehicle towing a trailer, large trucks, and other vehicles subject to a 55 MPH speed limit cannot use an HOV lane regardless of the number of occupants.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
This might be a good site (click on state or province):

Towing World Official Website
Thanks Karen, that is a good one to know.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Thanks Karen, that is a good one to know.
If I read this site correctly, some states and provinces require a different license to tow (like Oregon and B.C.) but it would appear that reciprocity precludes someone like me (Washington State) getting a ticket for non-compliance.

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote