Trailer Towing and the Law - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Same law applies to emergency vehicles in Oregon. Slow down (mandatory) move over if it's safe and possible.

The other biggy in Oregon is called... Give them a Brake! In road construction zones the speeds are posted and often a lot less than non-construction zones. Fees and fines double if you're caught going over the construction zone speed and there's always at least one trooper ready for ya!

Be safe everyone.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #32

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Same law applies to emergency vehicles in Oregon. Slow down (mandatory) move over if it's safe and possible.

The other biggy in Oregon is called... Give them a Brake! In road construction zones the speeds are posted and often a lot less than non-construction zones. Fees and fines double if you're caught going over the construction zone speed and there's always at least one trooper ready for ya!

Be safe everyone.
We have the same laws in Florida. And starting this year they finally made texting while driving illegal, (I have no idea what took them so long to pass that one).

Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I was doing my usual 58 mph at the time but did not react to the troopers...
... it cost me a $169 fine and 4 points! Quite a bite.
It would be more expensive here, with the same demerits.

The RCMP provides a national overview, but in Alberta you could be fined double the normal amount for being 33 km/h (21 mph) over the speed limit (which is effectively 60 km/h when passing the police vehicles). That's $374 to $702 (if charged for the full speed), and it's not for failing to stop, it's for failing to slow down or move over, for the safety of the officers. In Alberta the same applies to any other emergency vehicle (ambulance, fire, even a tow truck).

The same Alberta laws cover the fines for speeding in construction zones, similar to what Donna described for Oregon.

We should be particularly aware of the risks that these laws address when driving RVs, since they are much wider than most of our typical vehicles, and it is really easy when towing a trailer to fail to allow for the extra width of the trailer when judging clearance to people at the roadside.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Trailer towing

To help me avoid unexpected requirement to move over or change lanes I watch for a semi that is going my way and driving at my speed (60 to 65 in LA) and I stick with him, usually in the 2nd lane of 4 to 6 lanes. They always try to change lanes for emergency vehicles and they can see them before I can and they also change lanes early for a merge. In AZ the speeds are higher but I still try to find someone to follow at a distance.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #35

Trailer: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Be safe everyone.
Similar laws in Georgia, while I don't have a TT yet, I've hauled a variety of horse and boat trailers in the SE and have had to back into some "slim" spots. I dry sailed sail boats and had to hook up and back them down a ramp and back out and into parking spot. So my I think my backing skills are good to go. I've had to go through downtown Atlanta with both horse and boat trailers - not fun.
NDNwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:09 PM   #36

Trailer: 5.0TA 19 Aug 2016, 2012 Dodge RAM 1500, Andersen Hitch.
I have been told by a southern California Highway Patrol office (I asked about towing an RV trailer in the HOV lanes) 6 axles is the limit! Besides, limited space and 55mph towing speed with traffic doing 70 is a big clue to stay out! A suggestion for getting a long rig turned around in a congested area: if it isn't church time, look for a steeple. Usually you will find a nice big empty parking lot...

ethanallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote