Trailer Valet XL - solves all my narrow driveway and bad back problems - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Smile Trailer Valet XL - solves all my narrow driveway and bad back problems

Holy cow this is the new, revised Trailer Valet model (the XL) solves all my narrow driveway and bad back problems.

It does NOT need to be bolted onto the trailer. Can be left at home in-between trips.

Does not matter if the trailer has WDH. (as mine does)

COOL! I have been looking for a solution... and this seems to be a good solution.

90 second video:

No, I dont work for them… I just stumbled upon this video, and will very likely be buying one.

I thought the community here might like to know about this. I'm certainly excited!!

Thinking about upgrading to a 21' Escape, and I was concerned about pushing an 8" wider, heavier trailer up our narrow driveway, (at the end of each trip) but the XL solves my problem.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
That would be great if it really works like that and it isn't too expensive. I wonder how well it does going up a slanted driveway.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
That would be great if it really works like that and it isn't too expensive. I wonder how well it does going up a slanted driveway.
According to their website "The XL moves most trailers up to 10,000lbs up and down slopes up to 5 degrees using a crank handle or an 18V drill."
Old 09-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Wow, looks fantastic.
https://www.trailervalet.com/shop/trailervaletxl/

Ouch, $600...
Old 09-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
I would question the stability of the Trailer Valet with just the 2 wheels under the coupling. Though the cost is 2 times the valet the Power Mover AC 6 looks much more stable and has a proven track record. Another thing I noticed in the video is the operator is stooped over - not easy on a tender back.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Wow, looks fantastic.
https://www.trailervalet.com/shop/trailervaletxl/

Ouch, $600...
Only $540 right now though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
I would question the stability of the Trailer Valet with just the 2 wheels under the coupling. Though the cost is 2 times the valet the Power Mover AC 6 looks much more stable and has a proven track record. Another thing I noticed in the video is the operator is stooped over - not easy on a tender back.
Boeing's 747 has just 2 wheels under the nose. If it's engineered right it should be safe.

Regards,

Matt
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by memobug View Post
Boeing's 747 has just 2 wheels under the nose. If it's engineered right it should be safe.

Regards,

Matt
Yeah, but what about all those smokin' thingamajigs behind
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Holy cow this is the new, revised Trailer Valet model (the XL) ...
90 second video:
I hate videos instead of clearly presented information, so I looked up their website... but it is either broken or just really bad. In this case, there is no decent description and no manual (for the XL) available.

Sigh... so I watched the video. The attachment is stabilized by screwing a collar up against the bottom of the coupler after latching the coupler onto the ball

Quote:
I would question the stability of the Trailer Valet with just the 2 wheels under the coupling.
I would, too, especially on a slope. Will this really apply the force of over 870 pounds that it would take to move a 10,000 pound trailer (their stated capacity) up a 5 degree slope... especially with only 1,000 to 1,500 pounds on the device's tires for traction? Even if they don't know the difference between degrees of slope and % grade - and really mean a 5% slope - it would still be over 500 pounds. An Escape is much lighter, of course, but it still seems shaky to me.

I guess I would have to see it, and try it myself.

Quote:
But is it engineered right? The top of the 747's landing gear is not just a ball joint, with some guy trying to keep it upright by hanging onto a handle, assisted by a collar that tries to make the coupler work in a way which it was never intended to work.

Interesting, and I appreciate the tip, but I think there are better solutions... although nobody may be manufacturing them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I saw some manuals are linked on the Support page, Bryan:

https://www.trailervalet.com/support/

They have an 800 number so maybe there are others available?

Regards,

Matt
Old 09-16-2015, 11:15 PM   #11

Quote:
I saw some manuals are linked on the Support page, Bryan:

https://www.trailervalet.com/support/
Yes, I saw that... unfortunately without one for the XL.

Quote:
They have an 800 number so maybe there are others available?
Possibly - I have obtained manuals this way from other manufacturers. In each case, I find it really disappointing that a product would be sold without properly supporting it with published documents. If I buy a product I'm annoyed to have to search out the manual; if I'm shopping a lack of information makes the product easy to skip past.

The whole thing gives me the impression that someone came up with the coupler screw clamp scheme and the company tried making up a batch of movers using it in case someone might want to buy one. If it works well, then great
Old 09-16-2015, 11:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I Another thing I noticed in the video is the operator is stooped over - not easy on a tender back.
Wearing platform shoes didn't make it any easier for her. Yes, I looked at her shoes It made my back ache just watching the video. Holding a drill in position while also steering made it hurt even more.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:50 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I bought a ParkIt 360 for about 2 1/2 times the price of this TrailerValet. Pricey, but I like it. The wheels are larger, it appears the balance is probably better, and it's not a hand crank. It utilizes the trailer batteries. The mechanism for securing to the ball is the same, a collar that tightens up against the bottom of the coupler. It also has a long handle so one doesn't need to hunch over uncomfortably. And I never move the trailer wearing my slingback high heel pumps...

Bob
Old 09-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
And I never move the trailer wearing my slingback high heel pumps...

Bob
I would certainly hope not, safety comes first. Besides, with camping related activities, you should be roughing it, and not all dressed up anyway.

I really like the idea of the Trailer Valet XL for those that could make use of it. Part of the reason for the design is to make it portable, for those folks that might like to take it on the road.

I have never had need yet for an aid like this. Any campground is designed that you can back in with your tow vehicle, but maybe if you find this easier and faster, it might just be the ticket. Where I could foresee using it myself, is if the storage spot for it was too tight to use a tow vehicle to manoeuvre it into place.

You do have to bend over slightly with it, but not that much at all. I am sure it could have been made taller, but then it would be heavier, more cumbersome, and likely cost more. I would suggest yoga classes as a compromise.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have never had need yet for an aid like this. Any campground is designed that you can back in with your tow vehicle, but maybe if you find this easier and faster, it might just be the ticket. Where I could foresee using it myself, is if the storage spot for it was too tight to use a tow vehicle to manoeuvre it into place.
Jim, I don't believe you will be able to use any of these devices to back your 2016 5.0TA into a campsite unless the manufacturers radically change the design! What you need for the 5.0TA is 4 male silverback gorillas, strong ones, but transporting them would create a problem and you would need a transport truck to carry enough food. Besides, I have heard that gorillas are really not into RVing!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Jim, I don't believe you will be able to use any of these devices to back your 2016 5.0TA into a campsite unless the manufacturers radically change the design! What you need for the 5.0TA is 4 male silverback gorillas, strong ones, but transporting them would create a problem and you would need a transport truck to carry enough food. Besides, I have heard that gorillas are really not into RVing!
I hadn't considered that, Carl. Thanks for the eye opener. We would have to try the gorillas on a temporary basis first, just to make certain that Jasper would get along with them, but I bet Lisa might like having them around. I do have to be careful though, as I might just find myself getting replaced, as the gorillas would likely be easier for Lisa to train than I have proven to be.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #17

I just read the last two posts to Lisa, and she emphatically agreed with the last line in my post. I may need to pull up my socks a bit.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17ft
I was looking at the trailer valet and the parkit dollies, but with my back being bad I'm not sure I want to be bending over that long cranking on the handle for the valet. As for the Parkit dolly it was to unstable for my trailer latch. I was lucky enough to meet up with a wonderful couple who were trying to sell theirs and they let me try it before I buy it. No such luck for this old guy.

I wondered if anyone has seen the TRAX power dolly or has used it. Its a bit pricy but not too far off from the other power dolly system. I guess you get what you pay for they say, but from what I found on the web it's quick and easy to use.
Readn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readn View Post
I was looking at the trailer valet and the parkit dollies, but with my back being bad I'm not sure I want to be bending over that long cranking on the handle for the valet. As for the Parkit dolly it was to unstable for my trailer latch. I was lucky enough to meet up with a wonderful couple who were trying to sell theirs and they let me try it before I buy it. No such luck for this old guy.

I wondered if anyone has seen the TRAX power dolly or has used it. Its a bit pricy but not too far off from the other power dolly system. I guess you get what you pay for they say, but from what I found on the web it's quick and easy to use.
with the TRAILER VALET XL you can use a power drill, instead of cranking.

comes with adaptor.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:12 AM   #20

Trax power dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readn View Post
I've never heard of it, but based on the website description it appears to be a reasonable device. The company looks pretty shaky, with website content that reads like it was written by someone with a marginal command of English and not proofread by anyone (although it should be by their Sales and Marketing guy) and a product line consisting of a single model (called "TX6000" to make it look like it isn't the only one).

Steering
One page says
Quote:
EASY TO CONTROL STEERING

TRAX X2 motor design dolly removes all the stress when steering your trailer in the desired direction. Simply press the TRAX power control throttles and walk with your trailer to it destination unlike other brand trailer dollies, where you have to force the handle extremely hard just to pivot the dolly.
Unfortunately, it provides no explanation of why this design would be any easier to turn than others (a differential, perhaps?), and none of the three posted videos provides any hint. Two separately controlled motors would provide great steering control, and the use of "throttles" in the plural suggests that's what they have, but the photos don't show that and the features list doesn't include that. Indeed, one video is nothing but text (no demo) without any explanation of the steering, one is a demo of just going straight, and the other is a demo of just spinning in a circle... they don't demo steering, so I suspect it is not so easy.

Remote control... and Steering, part 2
They also claim this:
Quote:
WIRELESS REMOTE OPTION

Any of our double motor powered dollies can easily be upgraded to a wireless remote control option. A single analog/variable speed joystick control allows for complete 360º coverage of your trailer move. Simply put, you can stand anywhere and park your trailer perfectly without any help from anyone.
... but a different page lists this an as optional item:
Quote:
  • Joystick throttle control (This is either a teathered control or wireless remote, it only allow the user to move the power dolly forward or reverse for the TX6000 model dolly)
... suggesting that the remote does not actually include any steering capability. Perhaps the marketing guy had some idea of what he wanted to sell and the design/production guy didn't actually build that?

Brakes
The page regarding surge brakes is just nonsense: it has a reasonable description of how surge brakes work, but the author has no idea of correct trailer terminology, and there is no explanation of how the dolly brakes, particularly when the trailer has surge brakes. This optional feature certainly looks like nonsense:
Quote:
7-way fully automatic brake control system for both electric brakes and surge brake system
Quality
From a single page of the Trax website: there are no such things as "plantary" gears, "Trickel" chargers, or "teathered" controls. I know what they mean, but a potential customer shouldn't have to translate from gibberish to the intended words as if they were listening to a toddler. I wonder if quality control is as sloppy for design and production as for communications?

And why do people make videos for their business with audio, and not say anything to explain what they are doing in them? Well, there was a creepy laugh at the end of one...

So, you can buy a dolly from two-guys-making-dollies, and that might make more sense than building it yourself, but it's hard to tell what you'll be getting.