Trailer Valet XL - solves all my narrow driveway and bad back problems - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A 10% grade is very steep for a highway, but probably not unusual for a driveway.

Grade-climbing ability can be limited by traction or by power.
  • The Camper Trolley should have the best traction of any dolly design (because it takes a high load by locating back from the coupler, and because all of that load is used for traction).
  • If the limiting factor is power, then I'll note that the stated grade will be with the heaviest allowed trailer, and it will be able to drive a lighter trailer up a steeper slope. For instance, the CT2500RS and CT4500 have the same drive hardware (motors, etc), but the CT4500 is rated for an 8% grade with a 9,021 pound trailer, while the CT2500RS is rated for a 10% grade with a 5,512 pound trailer. Take another half-ton off, and I'm sure it can go steeper.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Again, JUST THINKING OUT LOUD (so to speak).
If the winch was mounted to the rear bumper of the trailer, and a 'movers' dolly was placed under the front hitch, couldn't the trailer be towed and steered into place, providing of course, an anchor point is available for the hook end. The process would have to be reversed to bring the trailer back to the starting point.
In my brothers case, if it the trailer is brought in back end first, he would just use the tow vehicle to do it, as his alley is wide enough. The problem is that they would like to not have the door against the fence, thus are considering a dolly or something to move it in.

The folks from Trailer Valet say a 3% slope, and Parkit360 say 6% slope. My brothers would be just under 6%, which does not seem like much.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #43

If grade-climbing is a big issue, you can't beat the traction of the euro-style caravan mover which drives the trailer's tires. From the Purple Line specs for their Enduro Mover EM 4445:
Quote:
Safe Working Load (SWL)
5000 lbs (2 motors) – up to 1.5 tonnes on a 25% incline
6800 lbs (4 motors) – up to 2.5 tonnes on a 20% incline
Old 10-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #44

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Wow. I'd just get a Parkit360 10K and be done with it. You'd save about 2 grand.
I know! Wouldn't that be nice, but they won't work on gravel, according to the mfgrs that I contacted some time ago.

And we don't have any plans on paving over the driveway and/or parking areas.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I know! Wouldn't that be nice, but they won't work on gravel, according to the mfgrs that I contacted some time ago.

And we don't have any plans on paving over the driveway and/or parking areas.
I've seen them work on gravel, provided it's not too coarse or deep of course. I think your biggest obstacle is the slope.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I purchased the Trailer Valet XL a couple months back. It is well engineered and works as intended. The coupler on my 21' is not flat across the bottom and presents some issues with getting the ball tightened up against the coupler. The supplied plate helps but the unit wants to pivot back and forth as you go forward and reverse. I am working on a work around and I will see how it goes next time I use it.
I have a call into ETI - I may pay the $ to re-open our build sheet to have an ATWOOD coupler used instead of the stock RAM coupler.

As our long and very narrow driveway means I really want to use our Trailer Valet XL with our forthcoming 21'

Thanks so much Carl for reporting your issue here - much appreciated!!

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:38 PM   #47
dab

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I have a call into ETI - I may pay the $ to re-open our build sheet to have an ATWOOD coupler used instead of the stock RAM coupler.

As our long and very narrow driveway means I really want to use our Trailer Valet XL with our forthcoming 21'

Thanks so much Carl for reporting your issue here - much appreciated!!

John
I bought a Trailer Valet XL and attempted to use it to move our 17' Casita on a gravel surface with a slight incline to the storage building. It couldn't get enough traction - on pavement it would have been fine. But if you have more than a very short distance to move it, I'd look for another solution. And you'll be bent over to operate it.

And the bottom of the trailer coupler has to be FLAT to allow getting the Valet securely attached.

Dave
Boise, ID
dab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:57 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Couldn't you just use the Trailer Valet 5X? I've been looking at that one and it looks like it would work and is cheaper. It has a receiver that mounts on the frame instead of using an actual hitch ball. The device detaches when you don't need it.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:49 AM   #49

Trailer: pondering.....
all interesting devices but isn't having a long inclined driveway and a new trailer , a perfect opportunity to also justify the purchase of a new tractor to anyone that needs an explanation....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Like this?
Escape Trailer Owners Community - Cozy Rosie's Album: when the camper is almost too high to fit in the barn... - Picture
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab View Post
I bought a Trailer Valet XL and attempted to use it to move our 17' Casita on a gravel surface with a slight incline to the storage building. It couldn't get enough traction - on pavement it would have been fine. But if you have more than a very short distance to move it, I'd look for another solution. And you'll be bent over to operate it.

And the bottom of the trailer coupler has to be FLAT to allow getting the Valet securely attached.

Dave
Boise, ID
I have used our Trailer Valet XL a number of times with our (now sold) Casita 17 and it worked very well.... on flat pavement.

I would not expect it to work on gravel.

I have no problems bending over to crank it.... but I have also used it with the supplied drill attachment. That worked well as well.

Another forum member here who has a 21' Escape (and the stock RAM coupler) found that the slightly curved up leading bottom edge of the ram coupler led to about 15 degrees of wiggle when using his Trailer Valet XL.

I asked ETI if they would consider having their frame builders use a different than the stock (RAM) coupler, and they understandably said no.

They said there are issues of liability, and they dont want to open a can of worms having a unique frame made just for me.

I'm planning on using a thin shim of some sort when using the Trailer Valet XL with our 21'..... having used the TV-XL numerous times, i dont think the slight wiggle it is a safety issue.

and... I also emailed with someone at Trailer Valet and they were very responsive.... did some research, and got back to me, and basically said that the RAM coupler should work fine, and not pose any problems with their XL.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 T
trailer valet?

is there a way to use it with a 5.0T? or some other type of trailer dolley?
Lee.Artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I have used our Trailer Valet XL a number of times with our (now sold) Casita 17 and it worked very well.... on flat pavement.

I would not expect it to work on gravel.

I have no problems bending over to crank it.... but I have also used it with the supplied drill attachment. That worked well as well.

Another forum member here who has a 21' Escape (and the stock RAM coupler) found that the slightly curved up leading bottom edge of the ram coupler led to about 15 degrees of wiggle when using his Trailer Valet XL.

I asked ETI if they would consider having their frame builders use a different than the stock (RAM) coupler, and they understandably said no.

They said there are issues of liability, and they dont want to open a can of worms having a unique frame made just for me.

I'm planning on using a thin shim of some sort when using the Trailer Valet XL with our 21'..... having used the TV-XL numerous times, i dont think the slight wiggle it is a safety issue.

and... I also emailed with someone at Trailer Valet and they were very responsive.... did some research, and got back to me, and basically said that the RAM coupler should work fine, and not pose any problems with their XL.
You ordered a Trailer Valet XL that had a 2" ball? And it was shipped to you?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
You ordered a Trailer Valet XL that had a 2" ball? And it was shipped to you?
Yes I ordered a Trailer Valet XL (a while back) with a 2" ball

and i picked it up to save on the shipping cost. I was nearby.

at the time shipping was a cost. it is free, right now.

https://www.trailervalet.com/shop/tr...fL8aApmL8P8HAQ
Old 11-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Thanks. Lucky for you that you are nearby. Free works, too.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee.Artman View Post
Some dollies attach to a post or other fitting on the frame of the trailer, and that could be used in the middle of the front of the main section of the 5.0 or 5.0TA frame, between the front jacks. The trailer's structure would need to be checked, and possibly reinforced, because it is not intended to carry load there. And clearance to turn the dolly would depend on the dolly design.

The Trailer Valet XL is designed to attach to the coupler, so would not be suitable for the 5.0 or 5.0TA.

I think the Camper Trolley (discussed earlier in this thread) would be good for a 5.0 or 5.0TA.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #57

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think the Camper Trolley (discussed earlier in this thread) would be good for a 5.0 or 5.0TA.
We've got one of these getting shipped out to us (probably) next week. Decided to go with that instead of the Purple Line Mover. It's for a 21 though, so could not tell you if it'd work on the 5th wheel.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I purchased the Trailer Valet XL a couple months back. It is well engineered and works as intended. The coupler on my 21' is not flat across the bottom and presents some issues with getting the ball tightened up against the coupler. The supplied plate helps but the unit wants to pivot back and forth as you go forward and reverse. I am working on a work around and I will see how it goes next time I use it.
Update:

Used the Trailer Valet XL this week again. I believe the issue was not the coupler itself not being flat. I was making a hard left turn from the parked position. The force to turn the tandem wheels is so high that it is actually bending the lip of the coupler and allowing the Valet to swing forward. I had straightened the lip and promptly rolled it up again. The force does not affect the actual part of the coupler that grabs the ball, but will bend the flat unsupported lip.

So it does not look good for my use. Back to square one.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee.Artman View Post
Almost any dolly could be fit with additional attachments. You would need to make an adaptor to go from the ball mount of the dolly an attach to the king pin. Then two bars that would go from this adaptor to each corner of the lower frame on the 5.0.

Here is a link to a video I found on You Tube that uses this type of connection.

Not cheap, but the Parkit360 Transformer 15K moves fifth wheels.
https://parkit360.ca/collections/par...ant=1038452480

Quote:

This dolly has a weight rating of 300 kg, which would be a bit light for most outfitted 5.0 TAs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Some dollies attach to a post or other fitting on the frame of the trailer, and that could be used in the middle of the front of the main section of the 5.0 or 5.0TA frame, between the front jacks. The trailer's structure would need to be checked, and possibly reinforced, because it is not intended to carry load there. And clearance to turn the dolly would depend on the dolly design.
I use an electric dolly made by Powermovers Power Movers | MOVING MADE EASY. I did not like the Parkit machine, their video looked like a accident waiting to happen. I also needed a dolly that could turn in a smaller area. At the time the only alternative was the Powermover, it is designed for the big fifth wheels, over kill for a 5TA. In any case, it attaches to a short length of pipe (provided by the dolly builder) that was welded (by ETI) to the front cross member between the power jacks. The trailer is lifted with the jacks and lowered onto a pin on the dolly. The handles for the dolly extend beyond the 5th wheel hitch so it can be steered. It works well, a bit heavy, I move it in/out of an alley to a parking pad, 90 degree corner.
A small footnote, I did rebuild the dolly to make it easier store and use.
Attached Thumbnails
20150120NX7_6201.jpg