Trailer Valet XL - solves all my narrow driveway and bad back problems - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching

Old 10-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A 10% grade is very steep for a highway, but probably not unusual for a driveway.

Grade-climbing ability can be limited by traction or by power.
  • The Camper Trolley should have the best traction of any dolly design (because it takes a high load by locating back from the coupler, and because all of that load is used for traction).
  • If the limiting factor is power, then I'll note that the stated grade will be with the heaviest allowed trailer, and it will be able to drive a lighter trailer up a steeper slope. For instance, the CT2500RS and CT4500 have the same drive hardware (motors, etc), but the CT4500 is rated for an 8% grade with a 9,021 pound trailer, while the CT2500RS is rated for a 10% grade with a 5,512 pound trailer. Take another half-ton off, and I'm sure it can go steeper.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Again, JUST THINKING OUT LOUD (so to speak).
If the winch was mounted to the rear bumper of the trailer, and a 'movers' dolly was placed under the front hitch, couldn't the trailer be towed and steered into place, providing of course, an anchor point is available for the hook end. The process would have to be reversed to bring the trailer back to the starting point.
In my brothers case, if it the trailer is brought in back end first, he would just use the tow vehicle to do it, as his alley is wide enough. The problem is that they would like to not have the door against the fence, thus are considering a dolly or something to move it in.

The folks from Trailer Valet say a 3% slope, and Parkit360 say 6% slope. My brothers would be just under 6%, which does not seem like much.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If grade-climbing is a big issue, you can't beat the traction of the euro-style caravan mover which drives the trailer's tires. From the Purple Line specs for their Enduro Mover EM 4445:
Quote:
Safe Working Load (SWL)
5000 lbs (2 motors) – up to 1.5 tonnes on a 25% incline
6800 lbs (4 motors) – up to 2.5 tonnes on a 20% incline
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #44

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Wow. I'd just get a Parkit360 10K and be done with it. You'd save about 2 grand.
I know! Wouldn't that be nice, but they won't work on gravel, according to the mfgrs that I contacted some time ago.

And we don't have any plans on paving over the driveway and/or parking areas.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com

NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I know! Wouldn't that be nice, but they won't work on gravel, according to the mfgrs that I contacted some time ago.

And we don't have any plans on paving over the driveway and/or parking areas.
I've seen them work on gravel, provided it's not too coarse or deep of course. I think your biggest obstacle is the slope.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #46

Trailer: Casita 17' (sold) .... 2017-21' Escape forthcoming !!!
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I purchased the Trailer Valet XL a couple months back. It is well engineered and works as intended. The coupler on my 21' is not flat across the bottom and presents some issues with getting the ball tightened up against the coupler. The supplied plate helps but the unit wants to pivot back and forth as you go forward and reverse. I am working on a work around and I will see how it goes next time I use it.
I have a call into ETI - I may pay the $ to re-open our build sheet to have an ATWOOD coupler used instead of the stock RAM coupler.

As our long and very narrow driveway means I really want to use our Trailer Valet XL with our forthcoming 21'

Thanks so much Carl for reporting your issue here - much appreciated!!

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:38 AM   #47
dab

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I have a call into ETI - I may pay the $ to re-open our build sheet to have an ATWOOD coupler used instead of the stock RAM coupler.

As our long and very narrow driveway means I really want to use our Trailer Valet XL with our forthcoming 21'

Thanks so much Carl for reporting your issue here - much appreciated!!

John
I bought a Trailer Valet XL and attempted to use it to move our 17' Casita on a gravel surface with a slight incline to the storage building. It couldn't get enough traction - on pavement it would have been fine. But if you have more than a very short distance to move it, I'd look for another solution. And you'll be bent over to operate it.

And the bottom of the trailer coupler has to be FLAT to allow getting the Valet securely attached.

Dave
Boise, ID
dab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:57 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B on Feb 7, 2017
Couldn't you just use the Trailer Valet 5X? I've been looking at that one and it looks like it would work and is cheaper. It has a receiver that mounts on the frame instead of using an actual hitch ball. The device detaches when you don't need it.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #49

Trailer: Perhaps in 2017
all interesting devices but isn't having a long inclined driveway and a new trailer , a perfect opportunity to also justify the purchase of a new tractor to anyone that needs an explanation....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:10 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Like this?
Escape Trailer Owners Community - Cozy Rosie's Album: when the camper is almost too high to fit in the barn... - Picture