Trailer Valet XL - solves all my narrow driveway and bad back problems - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #81

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Ordered Trailer Valet XL

Thank you for all the information in this thread. I just ordered the Trailer Valet XL to use with our Casita 17FD for now and then our new Escape 21 once it's finished next summer.

We have a concrete driveway with a slight upward slope. Getting the trailer into the correct position is tough because the driveway is short and off an alley, so there is no room to straighten out the car and trailer. This requires backing in at an angle and then rotating the trailer into position.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:35 PM   #82

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Using Trailer Valet XL on Casita 17

I just got a new Trailer Valet XL and tried it with my Casita 17. Overall it worked OK, but having the trailer on a sloping driveway requires careful coordination between the brake and power drill.

I had some trouble with the brake handle dropping out of the brake release position and the brake being set unexpectedly.

I also found that I needed to remove any tension on the brake, either with the crank handle or electric drill before being able to release the brake. This requires some finesse when using the electric drill. One time I pulled the trigger too hard and ended up with the drill twisting around in my hand.

I only used the low speed, which results in the trailer moving very slowly. I expect as I get more experience I will feel comfortable using the high speed.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:28 PM   #83

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We purchased a large, fully pre-constructed gazebo, and it was delivered to us on one of the shed trailers shown in videos above. Using the side-ways wheel systems, the driver was able to position the gazebo exactly where we it needed to be placed. Pretty cool and very functional contraption.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #84

Trailer: Sold Trailer
Does anyone have experience with attaching the trailer valet bracket on a 17' Escape? We assume we will have to go to one propane tank even though we aren't getting the storage box, to make room for an equalizer hitch. The valet itself will not be permanently kept on the frame. We don't have our tow vehicle yet, but assume we will be using an equalizer hitch.
ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #85

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug View Post
We assume we will have to go to one propane tank even though we aren't getting the storage box, to make room for an equalizer hitch.
Before the optional front storage box was available, the Escape 17 had two propane tanks mounted without interfering with access to the frame, by putting one ahead of the other. More recently, they tanks are mounted side-by-side and far forward on the tongue so that the box can sit behind them.

Here's a photo of this setup from 2006:

Without the box, you could mount the tanks the old way, and have room for weight-distributing hitch brackets and a Trailer Valet bracket. Some work on mounting brackets for the propane tanks would be required to make this change.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #86

Trailer: Sold Trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Before the optional front storage box was available, the Escape 17 had two propane tanks mounted without interfering with access to the frame, by putting one ahead of the other. More recently, they tanks are mounted side-by-side and far forward on the tongue so that the box can sit behind them.

Here's a photo of this setup from 2006:

Without the box, you could mount the tanks the old way, and have room for weight-distributing hitch brackets and a Trailer Valet bracket. Some work on mounting brackets for the propane tanks would be required to make this change.
Your photo didn't come through, but your quick reply really helps us. Escape will know how they used to do it. Many thanks!
ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #87

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Does anyone have experience with attaching the trailer valet bracket on a 17' Escape? We assume we will have to go to one propane tank even though we aren't getting the storage box, to make room for an equalizer hitch. The valet itself will not be permanently kept on the frame. We don't have our tow vehicle yet, but assume we will be using an equalizer hitch.
i would recommend you just get the XL - needs no bracket.

attaches to the ball.

the bracket would be a BIG pain, and off center, so possibly unstable

just my 2c.

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:30 PM   #88

Quote:
Your photo didn't come through...
In case the photo link (which goes to FiberglassRV) doesn't work for others, here's a cropped version of the image showing the old tank setup:
Attached Thumbnails
EscapeFront_oldPropaneSetup.jpg  
Old 08-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #89

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
"Thinking about upgrading to a 21' Escape, and I was concerned about pushing an 8" wider, heavier trailer up our narrow driveway, (at the end of each trip) but the XL solves my problem."

Hey, La, if you tow with a truck, have you considered a ~$160 front hitch? We wanted to angle our 17' Casita onto a small side pad, dodging tree limbs. So, we found one for our '95 K2500. This worked like a charm. Yes, you need a spotter, but no problems with elevation, rough terrain, etc. And yes, I know that your 21'er will tongue weigh kind of high, but you're not traveling with it in front, just moving it around a little....
Old 08-24-2017, 07:20 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Here's a more recent photo of this setup, with WD brackets:

(from 2007, 17'B VIN#146 $16,500cdn OR $13,750usd)