Trailer Valet XL - solves all my narrow driveway and bad back problems - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I purchased the Trailer Valet XL a couple months back. It is well engineered and works as intended. The coupler on my 21' is not flat across the bottom and presents some issues with getting the ball tightened up against the coupler. The supplied plate helps but the unit wants to pivot back and forth as you go forward and reverse. I am working on a work around and I will see how it goes next time I use it.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Remote control... and Steering, part 2
They also claim this:

... but a different page lists this an as optional item:

... suggesting that the remote does not actually include any steering capability. Perhaps the marketing guy had some idea of what he wanted to sell and the design/production guy didn't actually build that?
If you are interested in remote control operation of a trailer dolly, here is a really interesting video that I came across for a device called "Camper-Trolley CT2500-TAM (Tandem Axle Mover)".

https://youtu.be/3rnO3MbBpJ0

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I purchased the Trailer Valet XL a couple months back. It is well engineered and works as intended. The coupler on my 21' is not flat across the bottom and presents some issues with getting the ball tightened up against the coupler. The supplied plate helps but the unit wants to pivot back and forth as you go forward and reverse. I am working on a work around and I will see how it goes next time I use it.
Hmmmm this makes me a bit worried - as I will need to use our trailer valet XL to go backwards up our flat driveway. To back our forthcoming 21' into place.

Does anyone happen to know the exact make and model of the Escapes hitch?

So I can check with trailer valet for a possible solution.

Thanks. I
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
JUST THINKING OUT LOUD HERE BUT:
if rock a rock solid anchor point was available, couldn't a truck winch do the job of one of these expensive dollies?
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...ch/A-p8212417e
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
JUST THINKING OUT LOUD HERE BUT:
if rock a rock solid anchor point was available, couldn't a truck winch do the job of one of these expensive dollies?
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...ch/A-p8212417e
We are looking at that option for my brother. I think it would be quite doable with a regular wheeled, non - motorized dolly. The problem then is the reversing of the trailer. Relying on gravity might be an issue.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Truma Mover

To bad these are not an option for RV's in the U.S.

Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post

Looks like a very well engineered product, but for me it's way too complex, and probably ridiculously expensive. You're also permanently installing the little motor assemblies on the RV.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #28

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Purple Line Mover

This is what we're getting. Yes, it's quite expensive. However, we're parking on compacted gravel and none of the other movers out there will work on that (I asked and got replies from the other mfgrs). I wasn't interested in moving boards under the wheel, which is what we'd have to do if we used the other brands.

Dirk plans to install it himself and we'll provide detailed photos and description as I know there's a few others on this forum that want that information.

E-go Trailer Movers | Trailer Mover | Remote Trailer Movers | Purple Line
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #29

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Why do you say that? There's a ton of USA dealers listed when you do a search by country. As to whether they'd have it in stock, you'd have to call 'em I guess.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
This is what we're getting. Yes, it's quite expensive. However, we're parking on compacted gravel and none of the other movers out there will work on that (I asked and got replies from the other mfgrs). ...
This one would work fine on gravel. see link that I gave a few posts up.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Why do you say that? There's a ton of USA dealers listed when you do a search by country. As to whether they'd have it in stock, you'd have to call 'em I guess.
Most of the time items offered in Europe are not readily available in the U.S. which is to bad as they have some nice things. Though I believe over time those things will make there way to the U.S. as evidence of the Truma Mover posted earlier.

As I'm not in the market for a trailer mover not really searching and was more of assumption based on past searches for items I would like to see in or on my future RV.

Glad to see this available in the U.S.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We are looking at that option for my brother. I think it would be quite doable with a regular wheeled, non - motorized dolly. The problem then is the reversing of the trailer. Relying on gravity might be an issue.
Again, JUST THINKING OUT LOUD (so to speak).
If the winch was mounted to the rear bumper of the trailer, and a 'movers' dolly was placed under the front hitch, couldn't the trailer be towed and steered into place, providing of course, an anchor point is available for the hook end. The process would have to be reversed to bring the trailer back to the starting point.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Yep, not yet available in the States. I just heard back from one of their so-called dealers. Dang.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
This one would work fine on gravel. see link that I gave a few posts up.
Yeah it would and it's nicer than the Purple Line Mover in that it's not permanently installed on your trailer (from what I can figure out about it). However, it's only available in Australia! Dang! That's where the Purple Line Movers started out, however they have dealers in the US and Canada. Must be lots more rugged terrain over there, which is why these devices were developed.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
If you are interested in remote control operation of a trailer dolly, here is a really interesting video that I came across for a device called "Camper-Trolley CT2500-TAM (Tandem Axle Mover)".]
I like that!

Aside from the remote control, this design uses the differential drive method of steering that I mentioned earlier. According to the manual, it does steer much like a bulldozer, moving only one track at a time (to turn) or both at the same speed (to go straight forward or backward). It also has tracks, presumably to keep the height down so that it can pivot under the trailer's tongue, which makes sense.

Quote:
Yeah it would and it's nicer than the Purple Line Mover in that it's not permanently installed on your trailer (from what I can figure out about it)
Right - the Camper-Trolley hooks onto a bracket which clamps onto the trailer's frame.

Unless you are using one dolly for multiple trailers around the house or shop, being permanently installed on the trailer seems like an advantage to me: it's always there whenever and where ever you want to use it, without hauling anything around. Of course, the real advantage of the built-in caravan movers is traction.

Quote:
However, it's only available in Australia! Dang! That's where the Purple Line Movers started out, however they have dealers in the US and Canada. Must be lots more rugged terrain over there, which is why these devices were developed.
The Camper-Trolley might be popular in Australia due to the surfaces in some areas, but as mentioned on the Australian website they're a Danish product, by Kronings. I think the biggest reason for either style of device is the need to precisely maneouver trailers into very tight storage locations in Europe - the same reason that some Escape owners are interested in them, rather than just backing the trailer in with the tow vehicle.

Although the Australian distributor of the Camper-Trolley only sells it in Australia, the manufacturer has a distributor in Canada and one in the United States.

I think that RV owners in both Australia and much of Europe are willing to pay for relatively expensive equipment if it provides the functionality they want - more willing than RV owners in North America. I'm just guessing, but I suspect that the Australians and Europeans also replace their RVs less frequently - keep in mind, this is all RV owners, of whom Escape owners are probably not typical in some ways.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #36

Dang, Brian, you went through their site more than I did! Thanks for the additional info. Email sent to the USA contact, so we'll see what's what.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #37

Following is the reply I got from the guy at the US Kronings:

I am the area manager for Kronings in the USA. You can see my web site @ campertrailermover.com .

We have the CT2500rs in stock as it is a upgraded version of the CT2500 std. It has 2 speeds making it the fastest moving trolley of all the trolleys. It is slightly more than the std. 2500 but worth every penny of it.
I need to get an idea of your location?

I furnish the CT-2500 complete with remote control, storage bag and 12volt charger along with hook up for your trailer depending what is necessary.
Please give me a call at your convenience and let's talk about your setup. 352-603-0834 cell.

The CT-2500rs is $3,295.00 complete and includes hookup.

Look forward to your call.

Dave Nye
Kronings
Old 10-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #38

The website claims that the Camper Trailer Mover trolley can move a trailer up a 10% incline. Is a 10% incline driveway, for example, very steep?
Old 10-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
The website claims that the Camper Trailer Mover trolley can move a trailer up a 10% incline. Am I wrong in thinking that a 10% incline is not very steep?
Yeah, I saw that. Our driveway is way steeper than that, so it probably won't work there. However, I think our driveway is too steep for the trailer, regardless of how it's moved, as it'll scrape going up and down it.

And I noticed in the video, when they moved it up an incline it wasn't very steep.

But I do like how it's not permanently installed as there won't be any holes drilled in the underneath of the trailer nor will Dirk have to get under there to install it. But he hasn't looked at the info yet and he'll be the decider on all this. Wonder if I can move it into the back of the truck (which we're picking up tomorrow!!!), via the method shown in the video.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
The CT-2500rs is $3,295.00 complete and includes hookup.
Wow. I'd just get a Parkit360 10K and be done with it. You'd save about 2 grand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk