Trailering Mirrors - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Hi. Thank heavens for this forum. After reading all the information on towing mirrors we are planning to buy the grand aero mirrors. I'm double checking a couple of things. I'm assuming they will fit a 2014 Nissan Frontier SV from what I have read. Currently they are not available at Costco Canada (pity) but are available through Amazon. Is there any other place that people know of to order them through?
Erie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #42

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie View Post
Hi. Thank heavens for this forum. After reading all the information on towing mirrors we are planning to buy the grand aero mirrors. I'm double checking a couple of things. I'm assuming they will fit a 2014 Nissan Frontier SV from what I have read. Currently they are not available at Costco Canada (pity) but are available through Amazon. Is there any other place that people know of to order them through?
This is where I ordered mine from. They shipped from Pennsylvania.

Grand Aero Towing Mirrors-pplmotorhomes.com
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Check with a local RV shop - I say them on sale at a small shop in Binghamton, NY for less than I paid at Amazon.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 19ft
I have the same tow vehicle and the mirrors fit and worked very well, after traveling 8,104 miles on a months trip.
chris valenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
An observation on the Grand Aero mirrors is they get knocked off easily by pedestrians. No, not the ones in the crosswalk waiting for the lights to change, but people walking between cars in a parking lot or around your vehicle at a gas station. If walking from the front or your vehicle to the rear the mirrors extend further than people realize and they knock them off.

A solution is to fold the entire mirror assembly in whenever possible but it still happens.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
An observation on the Grand Aero mirrors is they get knocked off easily by pedestrians. No, not the ones in the crosswalk waiting for the lights to change, but people walking between cars in a parking lot or around your vehicle at a gas station. If walking from the front or your vehicle to the rear the mirrors extend further than people realize and they knock them off.

A solution is to fold the entire mirror assembly in whenever possible but it still happens.
This may be related to the type of vehicle that the mirrors are installed on. Mine have not been knocked off or fallen off in the 2-1/2 yrs that I have been using them on my FJ.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #47

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Just did my first trip with my new Aero 2 mirrors bought from Amazon, on the recommendation of several folks here.

Glad I got them, makes a big difference, although extra visibility area seems greater on driver's side than passenger side?

Minimal vibration, easy on/off, but require minor adjustment after reinstall action, a nuisance on the passenger side.

Thanks for the advice.

Happy travels.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #48

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Hmmm.... Used mine for 3 years and never had to fine tune between placements. Trick.. Only loosen the clamps not the bars. I also marked the location on the mirror with all pieces of electricians tape. When they are off just be careful not to disturb the pivot point behind the mirror. I also marked this with a silver Sharpie just in case the mirror did move I could put it right back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
Just did my first trip with my new Aero 2 mirrors bought from Amazon, on the recommendation of several folks here.

Glad I got them, makes a big difference, although extra visibility area seems greater on driver's side than passenger side?

Minimal vibration, easy on/off, but require minor adjustment after reinstall action, a nuisance on the passenger side.

Thanks for the advice.

Happy travels.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:21 PM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post

Glad I got them, makes a big difference, although extra visibility area seems greater on driver's side than passenger side?.
Is the passenger side mirror flat? Mirrors on the far side from the driver are usually convex, so you see more, but everything looks smaller (and further away) than it really is.

The Aero 2 is made in both flat and convex, but the Amazon.ca listing that I found doesn't say which is supplied.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Only loosen the clamps not the bars. I also marked the location on the mirror with all pieces of electricians tape.
Doing that, problem is that gap in mirror housing is so tight, very difficult to slip the clamp in without a certain amount of squeezing/wriggling. Gap is generous at sides & bottom, but bottom is angled so that clamps won't attach to hang mirror off bottom, & gap at top is very tight. Weird shape mirror -- rectangular but with outside bottom corner "truncated" (Ford Ranger) As it is, clamped on top, mirror (stock, not Aero) is so tight that with Aero clamps in place the remote mirror adjustment won't move the mirror in the housing!

Still way better than stock mirrors only.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:52 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Is the passenger side mirror flat? Mirrors on the far side from the driver are usually convex, so you see more, but everything looks smaller (and further away) than it really is.
Stock mirrors are driver's side flat, passenger side convex. Aero's are both convex, same degree of "convexity" on each (can be swapped side-to-side), but degree of Aero convexity is less than degree of stock mirror convexity.

On driver's side, Aero extends field of view approx 60% (subjective guesstimate) over stock mirror, but on passenger side, only about 20% over stock -- probably because of the differing degrees of convexity between stock & Aero.

To put it somewhat differently, with the Aero's I can SEE vehicles way closer behind me on driver's side than on passenger side - regardless of how close they APPEAR in the mirror. The passenger side has a much larger blind spot, with or without the Aero's.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:24 AM   #52

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My Grand Aero mirrors are both flat. No distortion. Depends what you order.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:14 AM   #53

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I ordered and got the Aero 2 mirrors. Mine came from Amazon without any instructions. Had to look on the box picture to try and figure out how to place them. Not sure if I got them right but in the end decided I didn't need them for the cargo trailer I was towing anyway. Saving them for when my 17A is ready.

Did you get instructions with yours? The curved bar is a bit confusing.

Tom
Old 08-16-2015, 01:31 AM   #54

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I feel like I see pretty well with my normal mirrors I have a 17 so with the wider trailers it might be needed. My issue is the blind spot I was thinking I should get the mirrors to help with the blind spot but reading above it sounds like it doesn't help?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:41 AM   #55

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
The Cargo trailer I was towing from Tacoma, WA to Skagway, AK was only 6'+ wide but tall
Old 08-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
The new, stock towing mirrors from GM are excellent - no problem seeing everything when changing lanes. Maybe GM has an option that would work for your truck.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #57

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I ordered and got the Aero 2 mirrors. Mine came from Amazon without any instructions.

Tom
Pix of my passenger side mirror installed. Bugs are gratis.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Aero 1.jpg   Grand Aero 2.jpg  
Old 08-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #58

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
The new, stock towing mirrors from GM are excellent - no problem seeing everything when changing lanes. Maybe GM has an option that would work for your truck.
I ordered the large extendable camper mirrors when I ordered the new GMC tow, but the biggest disappointment was that the lower part of the mirror is not convex. Ford's mirrors are convex and totally cover any blind spot along side of you. They have aftermarket mirrors just like mine but GM doesn't recommend them because there is extra bracing in the door with the factory ones. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote