Tran cooler on 2013 Tacoma - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Gbaglo:
I don't get it. You don't trust Toyota,but you trust Hayden and the manufacturer of your temp gauge.
Cypher :No not really I trust Toyota to do whatthey can to make a decent product but also make a decent bottom line. I dotrust what I have firsthand experience with Hayden and the temps my transmissiongot to while it was hooked up to scan gauge , inline mechanical autometer transtemp gauge and later my obd scanner live capture mode and autometer gauge. Theyall stayed with in a 3-5 degree temp range of each other.
Brian B-P
I agree that there are many factorscontributing to vehicle load and transmission fluid temperature, but I don'tsee a reason to assume that a company selling transmission fluid coolers hasbetter accounted for this than a company which designs and builds (and coverswith warranty) vehicles. I think the many of person-years of experience in theSAE (which established J2807) are worth listening to. Of course actualtemperature observations (such as those provided by Mike, and that we haveencouraged Karen - the original poster - to get) are very relevant.

Toyota decided that for towing duty an external transmission fluid cooler isappropriate, and they provided it (as shown in Toyota parts diagrams). If theyunder-sized it, then the fluid will run too hot and a larger cooler isappropriate.

Escapes and Bolers are not identical, but I don't see how they differ in anyway relevant to Tacoma transmission cooling.

Cypher : I never stated as such I stated that isthe maker of the one I choose from REAL WORLD experience with them and from othersalso using them. I said there are other makers that are just as good. I could care less what SAE J2807 contains Ihave the temps I observed with three different methods I will go with the realworld I live in not a perfect environment /driver /vehicle setup world thatengineers would use for expediency of testing and 1000’s iterations of any test parameters done in minutes notmonths.
I would guess no there isn’t muchdifference in the Escape or Boler except ohh weight and balance, aerodynamics ,rolling resistance loads but since the question was asked about a Tacoma and aEscape 19 It would probably be best to have owners of that setup answer thequestion since it is the OP’s question .

Thoer:

Cypher: Iposted my experience I would hesitate to rely on the AT light as it comes on at284 Deg F on the transfer case and 275 Deg F for the transmission and will stayon till the temps drop 30 to 40 or so degrees. Everything I can find about the transmissionfluid that is in the Tacoma says 300 is breakdown I have looked and looked fora hard number direct from Toyota or the actual maker to no avail.

SteveD:

had a Hayden transmission coolerprofessionally installed in my 1999 truck.
It worked well in the Summer . In the winter it worked too well.
Solved one problem , Created another .

I am from the old school in that I believe the old adage. " If it ain'tbroke don't fix it" or "You can't fix it if it ain't broke"

I am not a fan of Toyota , never owned one , never will , but I know they didnot get to be one of the world's largest auto manufacturers by consistentlybuilding shoddy products or constantly lying to the public.

Cypher : Yeah that can be a problem there is afine line between cooling and to much cooling lol . I have my readings and experienceso I changed it and no issues since . The OP asked about a particular setupthough IE Tacoma and 19 ft escape so I answered from my REAL world experience.And as has been shown others with the same or very very similar setups haveshown different experiences hence I directed them to the forum dedicated to theTacoma’s.
I am by no means a fan boy I could listhalf a dozen things they should have done or very easily do to make life simplefor owners number one being bring the dang HI Lux to this country !!! lol
And I am done with the discussion OP I amsorry others took this thread a whole other direction if you are good with yoursetup great enjoy your truck and your Escape see you on the road :}

Cypher
Too much info in one post, makes my head hurt. Not going to read it. And as long as there's HTML code that works for this forum, I'm done.

May you ALL have a good day!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Yes. Without spaces between words, and punctuation and proper quotes, I gave up after three sentences.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #23

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post

Toyota will also tell you it is ok to put your boat in the water after driving a 100 miles .. What they don't tell you is the rear end pumpkin vent is at the axle tube height. You risk sucking water in the rear end if you back in to far to fast cooling the pumpkin off to quick sucking the valve open from the inside. You learn these little things when you own and maintain a vehicle.

Cypher
Umm, I own a boat, several in fact and wonder why in the world would you submerge your trucks brakes in the water while launching a boat? That's what would happen while the vent was (edit) close to being submerged.
And yes the strap on mirrors leave something to be desired with the factory pads. We cut a couple little disc out of self healing silicone pads and use those with ours and they do not droop
I figure if we do run into an issue with the heat I can perform an quick jury rig and splice an additional cooler into the return line from the existing cooler. And we do have the scangauge so I'll have something else to watch other than the rapid decrees in average mileage.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #24

Trailer: None now
We had to use the safety cooler years ago with a Chevy Citation, AKA Chevy's answer to the Lada. We quickly discovered on vacation that the stock cooling system was not up to Death valley, nor the 100 plus degrees temps of Arizona and mountains, no way. We had it looked at several times during the trip and thermostats replaced, cooling fluid replaced and the mechanics could not figure out what was wrong. Finally lemon lawed it after it had warped the head as one of its many issues during it's short 19,000 miles residence in our garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Before our current truck, we towed our 21' over 20,000 miles as high as 11,000+ feet in the Rockies with our 2003 4Runner, a mildly similar vehicle--V6 and rated at 6400lbs. after the addition of a more substantial receiver-hitch to match what would have come on a V8.
Since it didn't have an external trans cooler, I added one (probably Hayden) and monitored with a Scanguage II. Reading the temps was only part of the equasion, the other part is adopting a suitable max temp that you feel comfortable with. The Valvoline tech that I contacted said he'd gear down, slow down or otherwise ease off at 240F. I never went over 230F. Gearing down had an almost instantaneous cooling effect.
If I had it to do over again I'd select a fan powered external cooler, but with a 19' I'd think you'd be fine with just monitoring, especially if you Tacoma does in fact have the external cooler.
As a safety valve, don't forget the age-old extra radiator every car has---turn on your heater on full blast regardless of the season. It actually does help, especially with the trans cooler my old 4Runner came with that goes through the side tank of the radiator. Dropping the coolant temperature also dropped the trans temp.

Good luck.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Umm, I own a boat, several in fact and wonder why in the world would you submerge your trucks brakes in the water while launching a boat? That's what would happen while the vent was (edit) close to being submerged.
And yes the strap on mirrors leave something to be desired with the factory pads. We cut a couple little disc out of self healing silicone pads and use those with ours and they do not droop
I figure if we do run into an issue with the heat I can perform an quick jury rig and splice an additional cooler into the return line from the existing cooler. And we do have the scangauge so I'll have something else to watch other than the rapid decrees in average mileage.
Sigh do I answer this or just ask I presume you have never seen a vehicle backing a boat down a ramp and go to far, slide on the slime etc . Kind of interesting if you go look and find the front pumpkin vent it is up on the fire wall about middle area. The bold comment isn't making sense to me but I will explain again. The vent for the rear pumpkin is screwed into the axle tube putting it just above center of your wheels. It is designed with a spring loaded valve to vent built up gasses etc as the gear oil gets hot. If your rear end is hot enough and you go a little to far down a boat ramp, through flooded streets, or slip down a boat ramp you douse your rear end in cold water. The rapid cooling can open the valve from the vacuum created in the rear pumpkin thereby sucking water in vs keeping it out.

Now let the google engineers google that and perhaps they will find it on about 4 different Toyota websites with people who have DONE IT. :}

Merry Christmas

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #26

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
One thing about an engines running at operation temp is to make sure it is clean , old or new engines must be free of bugs in the coolers and mud and heavy dust on the lower engine and tranny's and transfer gear boxes. Factory tow packs will do fine if there in new and clean condition . Basically maintain you tow and it will tow .
Old 12-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #27

The op asked a question I answered it as an owner of the same make of vehicle and the same model of camper. I answered with my real experience on trans temp and a few tibits about some of the Tacoma failings.

If you do not own a Tacoma and have not done real research on the ins and outs of them and some of their draw backs using antidotal information from different vehicles and campers is useless information to the OP .

And again I am out Hope the Holidays are good for you and yours :}

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Our 2005 Tundra is similar in size, power and capacity to the current Tacomas. We have been towing our Escape 21 up high mountain passes for almost two years and for 8 years before that a heavier trailer, usually at or near the GCVW rating. We never had an issue with our tranny fluid breaking down. When our Tundra dies we will likely get a Taco.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
Good morning

2010 Double Cab Long Box TRD Sport with factory tow package, automatic 5 speed transmission. No Scan guage (at present but on wish list) for monitoring transmission temps. No Weight Distribution Hitch. Factory leaf springs, no airbags. And also we have hard canopy on truck. Use Grand Aero Towing Mirrors which I find satisfactory for purpose.

Tow 19' Escape. With A/C. Dual pane windows. Single battery in storage box in front.

Usual set up when towing:

Truck
- full fuel tank
- 400 lbs gear maximum
- 2 passengers
- 17' canoe on top of truck

Camper
- full propane (40 lbs)
- empty grey and black tanks
- 1/2 tank fresh water
- two mountain bikes on back of trailer.

Always tow in 4th gear even on the Saskatchewan Prairies. Travel 120 km/h or 75 mph. Tend to drive without cruise control, just a matter of presonal preference. Use Air conditioning religiously. Driving style moderate to mildly aggressive.

To date I have been very happy with performance of the truck and factory setup even in the mountains. Never have had idiot come on for transmission temperature warning. Which is great because when it comes on it is too late (In my opinion). Average towing mileage per year is roughly 10 000 kilometers or 6,000 miles. (Longest single trip 5000 kilometers)

Shannon
smac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The OP has a truck with a factory transmission cooler and rated to tow 6400 Lbs . He wants to pull a 19 ft Escape which when loaded for travel weighs approx 3800 lbs , well within the towing limits of his vehicle. Yet he is being told by some he needs an auxiliary transmission cooler . I have also have read on this and other forums where people ask about pulling an Escape 19 with a vehicle rated for 3500 lbs and some of the same people say it is a non issue , just pack light . To me the two answers are contradictory and make no sense . I would assume that the transmission in his vehicle is stronger than the transmission in a small SUV rated to tow 3500 lbs but my assumption may be wrong since I don't own a Toyota.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I can't help with the 2013 Tacoma, but for those considering a 2016, I suspect it has an adequate transmission cooler, at least for a 3100 lb trailer. I have a ScanGuage measuring fluid temperatures at the output of the converter & pan. The temperatures rarely move from 194°F, although I have only done relatively small hills, and as of yet not done a long haul up a mountain.

The highest I've reached so far in 6000 miles of towing it 210°F in the pan & 218°F at the converter output. It very quickly drops back to normal once off the hill. Comparing that to the RAV4, which normally ran a pan temperature of 220°F towing and often hit 240°F or more on long climbs, is reassuring. By the way, the over temperature light never came on on the RAV4, even when I hit a pan temperature of 266°F pulling the trailer to the top of Cedar Breaks National Monument.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I did once manage to turn on the transmission warning light towing up the Coquihalla ( 8 per cent grade ). I had manually shifted to 3 and had my foot to the floor doing 90+ KPH ( 56 MPH ).
I just shifted to D and took it easy the last half kilometer to the summit.
Was in for service shortly after and asked them to check the fluid. It was fine.