Tran cooler on 2013 Tacoma - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2016, 04:48 AM   #1

Trailer: None now
Tran cooler on 2013 Tacoma

I've looked and did not find this so decided to ask.
We have a 2013 Tacoma with the factory towing package. It's rated at 6400 Lbs so the 19 we will pick up next year is within capacity . I've looked at the factory transmission cooler on it and wonder if it is large enough. If you have a similar setup did your transmission stay under 250F in the mountains? That's the warning light temp per the manual. I do have a scangauge with the Transmission temp display so I can watch it.

wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:08 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I've looked and did not find this so decided to ask.
We have a 2013 Tacoma with the factory towing package. It's rated at 6400 Lbs so the 19 we will pick up next year is within capacity . I've looked at the factory transmission cooler on it and wonder if it is large enough. If you have a similar setup did your transmission stay under 250F in the mountains? That's the warning light temp per the manual. I do have a scangauge with the Transmission temp display so I can watch it.
I would recommend you change it out to a larger unit. I have a 2011 Tacoma and a 19 . When towing on the hills and such up into Maine in the warm weather the transmission was getting close to the break down point of the fluid about 300 deg for the WS Fluid in an automatic 4x4 Tacoma. I swapped mine out for a Hayden Automotive 678 Rapid-Cool Plate and Fin Transmission Cooler.

Stop over at www.tacomaworld.com and check out the towing bible etc. You can find just about any question you have answered there. There are folks here who will chime in with an opinion but not own the vehicle and have nothing but Google's information to base their opinion on .

You may want to consider firestone air bags for the back even with a WD /Sway hitch the Tacoma's have notoriously soft rear suspension and will porpoise a little even with the WD . You might also consider a hitch scale or dummy up one to test your load out once you get it right your good but the first few times you may have to adjust the position of things in the camper and in the bed of the truck.

I also installed the PROEFX towing mirrors they are a direct replacement for the Tacoma Mirrors with upgrades such as heat and turn signals . The vendor is listed on Tacoma world.

Cypherian here and There

Old 12-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
To add some confusion I have a different opinion. I have a 2013 Tacoma with the towing package and automatic transmission, the same truck you have. I'm even a fellow Floridian. I was told that the transmission fluid in the Tacoma is synthetic, so it will take a higher temperature before breaking down. I have a Scan Gauge to monitor its temperature.

I've towed my Escape 21 back from B.C. to Florida, there and back again, and to Maine and back, plus other trips. So that means a few trips over mountain ranges. The only transmission-related issue I've noticed is that the day after a day of towing the truck sometimes feels "bumpy" at slow speeds. I had a dealer check it out and found no problem. I've decided that the bumping is caused by the transmission "relearning" that it isn't towing anymore and no longer has that load to pull. I'm just guessing.

From my experience I believe that the Tacoma's factory-equipped towing package is adequate and a replacement cooler isn't needed.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Also, my transmission temperature went over 200 a few times when I was in the mountains, but the warning light never came on, so I guess it didn't get to 250 degrees. I don't remember it doing so, anyway.

Sorry I didn't answer this before-- when I'm typing my blather I can no longer see the original question.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #5

Trailer: TBD
Modern transmission on newer vehicles use synthetic transmission fluid and run hotter than the transmissions of old . My truck bypasses the transmission cooler when it's cold so the fluid heats up to the proper level. My transmission often runs over 200 deg in the summer when towing
Toyota rated your truck with the factory transmission cooler for towing 6400 lbs. What makes you think the factory cooler is insufficient or inadequate ? If the Toyota engineers were correct when they sized the transmission cooler , will you by adding additional transmission cooling create a problem .
I think you have a legitimate question that may be best answered by Toyota or a reputable transmission shop
I realize that a Tacoma is a small truck and pulling a 19 is at the trucks upper limits but I doubt Toyota lied about its ' towing capacity or cheated on the size,of the transmission cooler.

Tow your 19 around for a while and see what temps your transmission runs . You may discover that you don't need an aftermarket cooler .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
2013 V6Taco with factory tow pkg; never had a hot trannie hauling our 21 over the mountains.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #7

Trailer: None now
Thank you, I looked at the towing bible but found the ones asking about a transmission cooler either did not have one or were wanting to tow over the limit. I'll give it a try and watch it. We already have air bags and strap on mirrors so we should be set. Come on March ( and nice weather !!! )
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
2013 V6Taco with factory tow pkg; never had a hot trannie hauling our 21 over the mountains.
Hi: tractors1... Never had a hot tranny hauling over the mountains, but did have a hot ascend a few times!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Everything Steve said makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
We have a 2013 Tacoma with the factory towing package. It's rated at 6400 Lbs so the 19 we will pick up next year is within capacity . I've looked at the factory transmission cooler on it and wonder if it is large enough.
Toyota thinks it's large enough. And they actually test the vehicle according to the SAE J2807 standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
I would recommend you change it out to a larger unit.
It looks like the Tacoma with a towing package includes a completely separate unit from the radiator, possibly as well as a coil within the cool-side tank of the radiator (included with most automatic-transmission vehicles). The stock external cooler could be replaced with a larger one, but I think it's important to make sure that any change does not change the fluid flow path because transmission fluid is supposed to be warm, and the original design includes a thermostat to ensure that it the fluid is not over-cooled.

Also, aftermarket parts are often junk, so I would want to see any larger unit to ensure that it is properly designed and will actually increase cooling capacity (and not fail).

I wouldn't consider changing the cooler unless I had observed higher fluid temperatures than I found acceptable.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Do you have a temp gauge for your transmission ?

The temps I saw towing a 19 up and down anywhere from 7% to 15% grades at 85 Deg F ambient temp with the a/c running not in overdrive as you shouldn't be when towing, went from 230 Deg F to 250 Deg F.The WS fluid starts to break down at 300 Deg F . I weighed in at 8730 lbs on the scales. Everyone has their comfort zone mine is not to heat my fluid up that much that many times since it is a major PITA to drain and fill on change out.

Cypher