Transporting recumbent trikes when towing trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Transporting recumbent trikes when towing trailer

My wife and I, both recumbent trike riders, will be picking up our E21 in mid-January. I am wondering if any other trike riders might have suggestions on how to transport 2 trikes while towing the E21? I found a double trike rack but the company says they do not recommend using it on the back of a trailer and to do so is unsafe. I guess the issue is trailer sway? We do not have room in the bed of the pickup so a rack seems to be the only option. Any suggestions on how to transport two recumbent trikes while towing the E21 would be welcomed.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
I found a double trike rack but the company says they do not recommend using it on the back of a trailer and to do so is unsafe. I guess the issue is trailer sway?
The issue of concern to the rack manufacturer with use on any RV is usually that the ride back there is rougher than on the back of a car, so the rack is more likely to break. Reduced stability (tendency to sway) is also a real concern, especially with a rack and load that extends substantially behind the trailer's bumper (as a two-trike rack presumably would). Two trikes on the back of a compact travel trailer seems unreasonable to me, on the basis of stability.

Quote:
We do not have room in the bed of the pickup so a rack seems to be the only option. Any suggestions on how to transport two recumbent trikes while towing the E21 would be welcomed.
A roof-level rack on the truck, over top of but not using the space in the bed, would be one solution.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Bikes

I saw an enclosed bike carrier on a different forum - thought it was interesting.

Pat (the guy who found his 15a)
Attached Thumbnails
FD80E6BE-B357-40A6-A59C-5CA60C113C83.jpeg  
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #4

Store trikes in trailer when on the road?

I am wondering if it would be practical to store the trikes in the E21 while traveling and on a hitch rack when camped. Both are folding Ice Adventures and when folded, the 20" front tires are the largest dimension that would have to go through the door. Can anyone tell me how wide the door opening is in an E21?
Old 11-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
I am wondering if any other trike riders might have suggestions on how to transport 2 trikes while towing the E21? Any suggestions on how to transport two recumbent trikes while towing the E21 would be welcomed.
I have a Catrike Dumont mounted on a CycleSimplex Tadpole Rack on my 5.0TA. Drove a 3000 mile trip with it and no issues. I could keep an eye on it with backup camera and have some movement up and down, but no movement left to right. My hitch mount is locked down pretty tight with a hitch tightener. The single rack is RV rated and they make a double version, but you would need to see if it is RV rated.

My opinion regarding any RV recommendation by manufacturer is hitch height and Lawyers. I ordered mine with the folding option which also raises it about 2 inches at the hitch when foled down.

One issue with my setup is I have to travel with the bike uncovered because the brake lights cannot be seen. I will be installing additional lights higher up as others have done to fix this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Dumont Bike Rack 20180911_154459.jpg   Bike Rack Folded_20180904_103204.jpg   Hitch Tightener.jpg   Bike Covered.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv4toys View Post
I saw an enclosed bike carrier on a different forum - thought it was interesting.
Yes, but for two trikes it would be enormous and unreasonable for the back of an Escape, although folding the trikes would help.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Does NM allow tandem towing, maybe a small utility trailer? Otherwise I'd get a folding bike and carry it in the truck bed and use your special bikes while not camping.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:00 PM   #8

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We could carry two ICE non-folding trikes in our Casita. You have to remove the seats and turn the trikes 90 degrees to get them through the door. It looks like we can get both trikes in the bed of our F 150 when we get back from our maiden voyage and head south this winter. One trike will definitely fit in back of the 150. If not, we have a single Hitch Rider rack to go on the back of our 5.0 TA. The Hitch Rider is as solid as they get.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #9

Trikes in truck and trailer

Perry,
We can carry our two Ice Adventures in the 6 1/2' bed of our Chev Silverado without folding. You should find they fit OK in the bed of your F-150. They go in facing opposite directions. Unfortunately, they do not fit in the 5' bed of our GMC Canyon Duramax which is what we use to tow a trailer.

Best thought so far is to buy a trike rack for the trailer that will hold two trikes. When on the road with trailer, put one trike inside the E21 (if we can get it though the door and if the walkspace in the E21 is wide enough) and one trike on the rack on the back of the trailer. When camped, put both trikes on the rack. When we travel to Chilliwack in January to pick up our new E21, we will carry all our stuff to outfit the new trailer in the truck bed and cab and carry the two trikes in the rack on the back of the truck. That's the best plan we have come up with so far.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #10

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Perry,
We can carry our two Ice Adventures in the 6 1/2' bed of our Chev Silverado without folding. You should find they fit OK in the bed of your F-150. They go in facing opposite directions. Unfortunately, they do not fit in the 5' bed of our GMC Canyon Duramax which is what we use to tow a trailer.
We have a 5.0TA, so also have a 5th wheel hitch in our truck bed taking up space. One trike will fit in the bed with the 5th wheel hitch (without seat) and the second might. We also need room for one cooler-size box.

Reality tells me the second trike will either ride on the Hitch Rider in back or on the camper bed.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Wouldn't both fit in the Canyon if folded and turned sideways? The folded length is less than the bed width and twice the folded width is less than the bed length. Maybe the problem is other stuff in the truck bed?
Old 03-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Starcraft
I have an ICE trike, too. but I bought an extended Chevy Van as my tow vehicle, so it would be safely stored and transported. I do plan on switching to an Escape trailer in a year. I am curious whether or not yours fit through the door?
Thanks
ValerieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #13

Yes, you can get an Ice Adventure, unfolded or folded through the door on our E21 so long as you have a person on each end doing the lifting. We transported one of ours that way from Borrego Springs to Yuma. However, for trips longer than a day with overnight stops, that would be a PITA. So, from Yuma to Big Bend NP, we strapped down the two Adventures to the bed cover of our GMC Canyon pickup. Worked great with no problems encountered. 2 straps for each trike pulling in opposite directions and one more over the top of the two pulling them down for added security. We towed more than 1000 miles this way without a problem.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Starcraft
Good to hear that the door was wide enough, just for the “what if”.
ValerieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
is it possible to put a hitch/platform on the front of the truck and carry one there?