Tundra trailer plug in - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2015, 12:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17b
Tundra trailer plug in

Our 2006 (purchased in 2015) Toyota Tundra has a factory tow package but when I went looking for the trailer plug it was tucked up in the frame and the plug in was destroyed and the bracket which had been fastened to the bottom of the hitch was gone. Knowing from past experiences that remounting it there that it was likely to get damaged again, in my search for a better place I found that behind the license plate were 2 square holes about 4" X 4". I cut an aluminum plate with a 2" hole in it to fit behind behind the plastic cladding with the 2" hole centered in the left square hole and secured it with 4 screws and then installed the 7 pin plug. I then mounted the license plate to a piano hinge and screwed the hinge to the top edge of the bumper with a 3/8" spacer behind it so the LP would lay flat

outofrshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Thanks.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:27 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So when your trailer is hooked up is your plate visible?
Old 02-21-2015, 07:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So when your trailer is hooked up is your plate visible?
Mine certainly isn't, I have a trailer blocking the view.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
It would be interesting to see the angle of the plate when the trailer is plug in. And what would the local constabulary have to say about that?
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Great job!

Mine certainly isn't, I have a trailer blocking the view.
Well good luck crossing the borders, checking the vehicle plates is how the border people tap into the NCIS and determine if you have any arrests or gun permits.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #7

The license plate is not readable when the trailer is plugged in but then thats why they put the trailer license plate on the back of the trailer.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have a 2007 Sequoia that I purchased last year and it sure has a funky placement of the 7 pin connector. It was slightly damaged by the previous owner but I was able to bend the mounting bracket back into place. Fortunately the plastic survived. It has a hard to reach location compared to my 4Runner.

I do not think you will have any issues with proper license plate display, after all, whenever the connection is in use the trailer is blocking the plate. Does WY require a trailer plate? How about a front license plate?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #9

Wyoming does require a rear plate on the trailer and a front plate on the truck. My thoughts exactly on being readable if the trailer is hooked up you don't see the rear plate on the truck. I would not be surprised that the rear bumper on a Sequoia was similar and this was an easy fix for a persistent problem that plagues all tow vehicles. My sister's new Tundra has a plug in below the bumper and it was the first casualty of an off pavement drive. Dave
Old 02-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My last F-250 had the plugs under the bumper, and got wrecked twice. This was a factory install too. My new F-350 has them in the bumper, much better.

I too don't think there would be any issue with this license plate setup, as you would need to be stopped, and have someone go between the tow and trailer to read it anyway. Could you not still read the plate when the cable is connected, and you are standing by it?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofrshell View Post
The license plate is not readable when the trailer is plugged in but then thats why they put the trailer license plate on the back of the trailer.
I don't think that works very well. Although your truck and trailer may be registered to the same owner, in general they might not be, so even if someone can read the trailer plate they still know nothing about the truck or its owner.

In the UK, I think this approach would be completely valid, because there the trailer displays the same license number as the tug. Of course, this trailer is an ocean away from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofrshell View Post
Wyoming does require a rear plate on the trailer and a front plate on the truck. My thoughts exactly on being readable if the trailer is hooked up you don't see the rear plate on the truck.
Having a readable front plate on the truck is important; we don't have front plates here and that makes a big difference.

On the other hand, you can clearly read the plate on the back of my tug, and most tugs, when the trailer is hooked up.

Anyone with law enforcement experience have a comment on this?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #12

A quick check of some local states here on east coast require that plates be visible from a certain distance, illuminated at night and not be covered. In addition to red light cameras and speed zone cameras, the various toll booths on highways have plate cameras as do the E-Z-Pass lanes.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Anyone with law enforcement experience have a comment on this?
The requirement varies by state. Here in Texas, as long as you have a visible front plate on your tow vehicle, and a visible plate on the trailer rear, the one on your tow vehicle bumper doesn't have to be visible.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
FYI, my 2006 Tundra had a recent recall for frame rust. Toyota preformed an inspection, and found no holes, but are spraying the frame still. I had until July/16 to address this. You might want to check with Toytota to see if you need this, if it has not been inspected already.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The requirement varies by state. Here in Texas, as long as you have a visible front plate on your tow vehicle, and a visible plate on the trailer rear, the one on your tow vehicle bumper doesn't have to be visible.
Thanks
I suspect that for those of us without front plates, this mounting system would not be a viable option.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Any idea what they spray the rusted frames with? just curious.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Another possibility is to use long bolts/nuts (6" or so) to hold the hinged piece to the truck. Either Bolt from the back with a nut, then double nut the hinge out at the end of the bolts, or use spacers.
That will give you room behind the plate for the plug, and the hinge function gives easy access. Then you'll still be legal in CA and other similar states.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Any idea what they spray the rusted frames with? just curious.
I will have an answer on Wednesday. If holes were found the size of a marble a full frame replacement was required. A $10,000 job on a $9,000 truck. From what I've read on the Taco forums, the spray is like an oil that never dries, but we'll see first hand soon enough. For now I have a 2015 Tundra as a loaner, not impressed at all.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Ya they did my 06 Tacoma frame as well but they soda washed it first . Looks like new , apparently the trucks back East and up North have all the issues .
Now I hear there is a rear leaf spring problem 06 - 09 , Some are breaking in half and punching a hole in the fuel tank . Oh joy .
Old 02-21-2015, 11:13 PM   #20

Now that I have some feed back and folks seem too think the plate being held up by the cord is an issue I have the solution to a problem that really is not a problem here in Wyoming. You simply cut a slot in the plate and cut a hole where the cord is located install a grommet and your done. In my simple Wyoming reasoning it would be better to have your license plate slightly obscure while towing as it would be to have your plug ripped off and find yourself in the middle of the night with no trailer light or worse on top of the mountain with no trailer brakes. As a side note we will most likely will never travel to place where it would be an issue, most western states still have some common sense.
Thanks for the info on the frame I will check it out but most likely it will be rust free this truck was a local truck and Wyoming has very few rust issues. Dave