TV Bed rail height - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 17 B
TV Bed rail height

Hello all. We are long time readers of this forum and have received tons of good information over the years. Here's hoping for a little more- our TV is a 2016 Dodge 2500 diesel with a bed height of 58". We are ready to turn in our final build sheet for the 5.0TA ( high-lift axle included), but we are a little nervous in the service about the compatibility of this high bed height. For some reason, we measured 57" when we made the original build sheet, but the truck must have grown with all the rain this past spring.
So, what do you think? We intend to talk to ETI of course, but we would like your input if you have any. If any of you have a 58" TV bed height and towing a 5.0, please contact me. We have been searching the forum, but have not found anybody with a 58" bed height.
Thanks, Dan and Sherri
Escape-A-Rooski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
TV Bed rail height

"With a ‘Box Heigh’ of 55 ½” I would not recommend getting the highlift axle installed in your trailer. The maximum height we like to see on a tow vehicle is 58”. The trailer will ride level with a tow vehicle set between 54” – 58” you are right in the middle at this time. If you add the highlift axle you will be at the maximum height we recommend for this trailer."

This was sent by Tammy from ETI when I inquired about whether to go with high lift axle on my 5.0, I would still communicate directly with ETI but I'd bet you're good to go with the high lift axle.

Do you have a hitch yet? I'm using Anderson Ultimate and I think it's great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #3

I emailed Joldie today and received a quick reply that said the same thing you did, Chotch- with the Hi-lift axle I should be good to go. We haven't got our hitch yet, but I hear nothing but good things about the BW Patriot 16K. The Andersen is on our short list as well.
Thanks for the info. about Tammy's communication with you.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape-A-Rooski View Post
I emailed Joldie today and received a quick reply that said the same thing you did, Chotch- with the Hi-lift axle I should be good to go. We haven't got our hitch yet, but I hear nothing but good things about the BW Patriot 16K. The Andersen is on our short list as well.
Thanks for the info. about Tammy's communication with you.

Take a good look at the Anderson, mine is rail mounted steel version. It's light, easy to remove and adjustable. I installed myself with little difficulty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Salem LE
Quote:
Hello all. We are long time readers of this forum and have received tons of good information over the years. Here's hoping for a little more- our TV is a 2016 Dodge 2500 diesel with a bed height of 58".
I'm also looking at the 5.0 and would tow with a '05 Dodge 2500. My bed rails are almost 58" high measured at the wheel well. Where did you measure yours? Unloaded, my truck has a slight rake with the rear of the truck just a touch higher than the front.

Thanks!
zzlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #6

I measured mine at the very rear of the bed. I figure that this is where the trailer will need to maintain it's clearance (hopefully with 6" to spare ) while driving. My bed, like yours zzlay, is a smidge lower at the wheel well. I've noticed that a few rigs have located their hitch to the rear of the wheel wells,probably to make sure they have clearance to the back of their cabs. I'm thinking that in my case that might not be a bad idea to make sure the bed drops a little more to maintain clearance. That will make it more like bumper pull, but with the relative lightness of the 5.0, maybe it won't be an issue.
Please keep in mind that until a couple of months ago, I didn't pay any attention, at all, to fifth wheels!
Old 07-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
I measured mine at the very rear of the bed. I figure that this is where the trailer will need to maintain it's clearance (hopefully with 6" to spare ) while driving. My bed, like yours zzlay, is a smidge lower at the wheel well. I've noticed that a few rigs have located their hitch to the rear of the wheel wells,probably to make sure they have clearance to the back of their cabs. I'm thinking that in my case that might not be a bad idea to make sure the bed drops a little more to maintain clearance. That will make it more like bumper pull, but with the relative lightness of the 5.0, maybe it won't be an issue.
Please keep in mind that until a couple of months ago, I didn't pay any attention, at all, to fifth wheels!

I think that if you have to worry about hitch mounting at the rear of the wheel wells vs the center of them, then your truck is probably too light in the first place. Say it's a foot back, and you have 900# of hitch weight. If the your front/rear wheel base is 15', then you have reduced your front axle load by 60#. From well over 2000#, and probably more. Now, I'm sure that there are other possible reasons to avoid this. Frame mounting problems, maybe, for example. But if I missed something folks (and I may very well have) please correct me....
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote