TV for Escape 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #1

TV for Escape 5.0

Hi - I'm in the process of purchasing a new pickup for my 5.0 on order. I had narrowed my choices down to a Frontier (King Cab) or Suzuki Equator ( rebadged Frontier ). However, I recently attended an auto show and came across the GMC Canyon with a V8 option. This truck is now capable of towing #6000 with the V8. My question is does anybody have any experience with the Canyon in terms of reliability , service etc. or it's twin the Colorado. It's specs are about the same as the Frontier, size wise - no need for axle lift on escape, 6ft bed with the extended cab etc.. I appreciate your thoughts on whether this would be a suitable TV for the 5.0 as well. Thanks.

Jerry
JerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0
Re: TV for Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryS
Hi - I'm in the process of purchasing a new pickup for my 5.0 on order. I had narrowed my choices down to a Frontier (King Cab) or Suzuki Equator ( rebadged Frontier ). However, I recently attended an auto show and came across the GMC Canyon with a V8 option. This truck is now capable of towing #6000 with the V8. My question is does anybody have any experience with the Canyon in terms of reliability , service etc. or it's twin the Colorado. It's specs are about the same as the Frontier, size wise - no need for axle lift on escape, 6ft bed with the extended cab etc.. I appreciate your thoughts on whether this would be a suitable TV for the 5.0 as well. Thanks.

Jerry
Hi Jerry,
Check out Consumer's Report. I love our Frontier, except for the turning radius. Quality vehicle. Can't say about the others. But the 5.0? NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

For 2009 Consumers Report placed the Colorado (4WD) and the Canyon (4WD) in the Least Reliable category.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B

If it would be me, I would be going either Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma. Both are very nice and reliable trucks! I haven't read anything good about the Canyon either...
Old 01-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharms
If it would be me, I would be going either Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma. Both are very nice and reliable trucks! I haven't read anything good about the Canyon either...
It was the same last year when I was looking. The Frontier has gotten very favorable ratings from Consumer Reports for many years now. Since I don't plan on getting another truck for quite a few years, that was important. There are 3 other reason's I choose the Frontier over the Tacoma:
  • The Toyota dealer here is crummy (at least his service dept is) The interior of the Tacoma didn't seem as spacious, and it felt "plastic". Of course this one is in the eye of the beholder. The bed of the Tacoma is made of composite material, and would be more difficult to mount the 5.0 hitch.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: JerryS... We are towing with a GMC but a fullsize S/B V6. There are three 5.0 owners in Southern.Ontario towing with GMC's. Unfortunately neither of the others joined the forum. You can see a pic. of one rig on the Escape Web site with a lady standing beside their rig. They bought after viewing "Our Escape Hatch" at Bolerama in '08.
My concern with the GMC was the I 5cyl engine and a want of a 4dr. truck to replace our other 2 vehicles. Once retired I want to be a one truck family. The tug then needs to be big enough for 4 adults but small enough for the 5.0. It's a tall order but you have got me curious about the V8 Colorado/Canyon!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. a quick look on line shows only a Crew/ 4dr. avail. as a S/Box 5'1" so a Husky EZ. roller hitch would be required. Not enough room from the cab rear end to the 5.0 nose!!!
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi: JerryS... We are towing with a GMC but a fullsize S/B V6. There are three 5.0 owners in Southern.Ontario towing with GMC's. Unfortunately neither of the others joined the forum. You can see a pic. of one rig on the Escape Web site with a lady standing beside their rig. They bought after viewing "Our Escape Hatch" at Bolerama in '08.
My concern with the GMC was the I 5cyl engine and a want of a 4dr. truck to replace our other 2 vehicles. Once retired I want to be a one truck family. The tug then needs to be big enough for 4 adults but small enough for the 5.0. It's a tall order but you have got me curious about the V8 Colorado/Canyon!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. a quick look on line shows only a Crew/ 4dr. avail. as a S/Box 5'1" so a Husky EZ. roller hitch would be required. Not enough room from the cab rear end to the 5.0 nose!!!
Heh Alf,
With the EZ Roller hitch, doen't that then allow the weight of the trailer to slide backward, from over the axle, to a point further back? Seems that would then raise the front end of the TOW, decreasing the control? I'm not sure how they work, so I'm just asking. Maybe they just slide backward when you turn I think you have said your GMC is a short bed, but that it's not so short that you've actually needed the EZ roller. Your GMC is a 2WD is it not? I'm thinking the 4WD version might be too high for the 5.0, even with the extra height axle on the 5.0. I looked at GMC's (regular sized truck, not the Colorado) before buying the Frontier, but I wanted 4WD, and they all measured too high in the rear end. Same for the Chevy Sierra which is the same truck. I was interested in the hybrid.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: HokieEscape...Dan My GMC sits high on the rear end as it has the H.D. susp. It looks like a 4X4!!! Thing is the box sides are low enough for the 5.0 to fit under. Most of the new trucks have deeper boxes and don't qualify as tugs for the 5.0.
The slider hitch would only be necessary on tight turns but that's one more thing to watch out for...not to mention having to exit the truck to pull the trigger on it. Around town the traffic might not be very forgiving of the delays. So far I haven't needed to use it anywhere!!!
Well... back to the Frontier V6 Crew Cab Long Bed. I just hope they still make one when I'm ready to buy!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. What are you doing the last week of Apr.? My wife still wants to do the Blue Ridge Pkwy. My travel adviser up here says I really don't want to tow along it...Do I
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Well... back to the Frontier V6 Crew Cab Long Bed. I just hope they still make one when I'm ready to buy!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. What are you doing the last week of Apr.? My wife still wants to do the Blue Ridge Pkwy. My travel adviser up here says I really don't want to tow along it...Do I
Heh Alf,
Sorry, I have to work!!!! Yeah, it's a real grind : - ) We'll be here, and free on the weekends though.
The Blue Ridge Parkway was MADE for an Escape 5.0!!!!!!! The views off the Parkway are wonderful, and the campgrounds are at good places to stop. They don't have any E/W/S, but are very nicely situated, and all have dumpstations and potable water to refill with. Lots of good hikes, and interesting things to see right off the Parkway (Luray Caverns for instance, are maybe the most beautiful in the world, and the Peaks of Otter have a breathless view at the top, and Price Lake above Blowing Rock, NC, <one of the Parkways campgrounds> is fabulous as are the little towns around that area). Most people these days don't choose the Parkway because there's not enough "action" (just beauty and quiet), and because the speed limit is 45 mph. WE LOVE IT! Depending on how long you have I can recommend where to get on, off,what to see, camp, etc. For instance, we've done Shenandoah National Park, and it's beautiful, but too close to Washington, so VERY crowded. And it ends in Cherokee, NC, with only the Smoky Mountain National Park between you and Gatliinburg! Love to help you out, we know the Parkway. It's one of America's greatest and most neglected (by it's people) gift we have.