Undecided on the Escape Trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #1

Undecided on the Escape Trailer

This is my first time writing to his forum.
I reside in south florida and my wife and I are planning to retire sometime next year. We now own a very tiny pop up trailer called a lees-ure lite. It only weighs 400 pounds but it has served us well for a few years. I pull my trailer with a Honda Element.

I would like to buy a new car & trailer and travel the country and wanted some of the forum members opinion and suggestions. I thought of a fiberglass trailer because of it being light weight and after checking out the websites I thought the Escape seemed the most appealing.

Where I live I'm limited to a parking space so I thought of buying a compact pickup truck like a Toyota Tacoma with a 6 foot box and getting an Escape 5.0 (5th wheel). I'm not sure if I should go in this direction or should I buy an SUV and Escape 19 foot. I was wondering if there are some members that have owned both a trailer & a 5th wheeler and what do they think which is better.

I'm also concern with gasoline consumption and trying to find the best mpg.

Like I said I only pulled a 400 pound trailer. I spoke with Tammy and she said with a 6 foot box, compact pickup I'll only be able to turn about 78 degrees (rather than 90 degrees) with
a fixed trailer hitch unless I go with a sliding hitch which is larger and heavier and was not really a good option. Tammy believes a turning radius of about 78 degrees is adequate. Are there any of you with a compact pickup and a 5th wheel combo?

I also have a lot of questions which I'll get to once I make my decision on the trailer.

Thank you ahead of time,

Roger of Florida
Roger from Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #2

Re: Undecided on the Escape Trailer

Ordered Smokie Escape sight unseen from comments on this web site. Presently use it for camping on weekends and full time as home away from home for work using easily removed skirting. Sometimes I sleep up front sometimes I sleep in back, all is roomy and comfortable. Interior equipment is in the right spot for use and works ok.
I tow with Nissan Frontier after comments from 5.0 guys on the website. 17 mpg (US) minimum and more when I slow down. No turning or backing issues to date with 6 foot bed and 29" hitch setting behind the window.
You are welcome to come see it anytime.
Probably the best value size wise and quality wise you will find in my opinion.
I think you will be happy.
JP
"Smokie" Escape
jopoelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0; previous 2008 Escape 17'

Hi Roger,

Started of with a 17 escape trailer then upgraded to a 5.0 for the extra room and sleeping area. Love the fifth wheel and have had no issues pulling it around Vancouver Island and all the way down to Reno NV. We tow with Mazda B4000 and can hardly feel the trailer is behind us. Will probably upgrade to a Nissan Frontier soon as it is a bit bigger.
Conuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Roger... We've just finished our 4th. season of Escamping with "Our Escape Hatch". When I retire in 2 yrs. she will be following our Nissan Crew Cab Long bed to Florida and warmer!!! We have the slider hitch and have yet to pull the pins to slide. As a matter of fact it was never adjusted properly for our Sierra Short box so it wouldn't have worked if we needed it. On a 90* turn we still have 2 1/2"-3" clearance at the cab corners of the Nissan with the hitch plate located over the axle.
This combo is the best IMHO as our mileage is 19.5 Canadian...16.5 U.S. at turnpike speeds of 100kph Can. 62.5 U.S.mph.
Sadly she is tucked away for a long winters nap. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Dynamic Duo.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #5

Escape Artist:

Your truck matches your trailer. Very Nice. Is that a 4x4 Nissan? Do you think the Toyota 4x4 pickup will be too high for the Escape 5.0 when hitched? For some unknown reason it is easier to get a Toyota pickup down here in South Florida then a Nissan Frontier. Really don't know why. Maybe it has to do with the time of the year. My children live up in the Northeast part of the U.S. and I do some traveling in the winter so I know a 4 x4 will come in handy.

Thanks to everyone for their response.

Roger from Florida
Roger from Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Roger... Yes its a 4X4(6100#) tow capacity. That's all we could get 2010 year end...and the dealer had to go 300 kms to get the white one I wanted.
A Tacoma would have been $10 thou. more and I don't like them as well. Same reliability rating for both trucks, but the Nissan doesn't require extra springs or air bags like the Taco's do.
I can't understand an availability problem as they're built in Smyrna Tenn... but they're very popular here on the forum. Even Reace and Tammy use one to tow all types of Escapes.
Our GMC Sierra was 51"s tall at the axle-( box rail to ground) and the Nissan Frontier is only 49"s tall, so we let the pinbox out one row of holes and lowered the hitch plate down. That way we can use the tonneau cover over the box when not towing. That also pushed the trailer back a little for breathing space on tight turns. We already had the axle lift on the trailer for the fullsize truck so that adds extra clearence on the ups&downs.
I feel the Escape and Frontier are mated for life...don't know whos that'll be tho Alf
escape artist N.S.of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

A consideration that should factor in when you decide -- what all do you want to take with you when you travel? We often take a lot of "toys" and other stuff, so I'm happy pulling a 19 with our Tacoma that has a shell on the bed. Another possible consideration for a 17 vs. 19 choice -- how tall are you two? I'm 6' tall and felt cramped with my wife and me in a 17. Whatever model you decide on, you'll love Escape's impeccable quality and design features.
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #8

Hi Roger - I'm another 5.0 and Frontier owner. I've been very happy with this combo as well. Similar MPG as what Alf has averaged. I had also considered the Tacoma when we ordered our trailer, but after research and great feedback on this forum went with the Fontier and it's worked out great. The turning radius has not been an issue either on the road or at the various campgrounds we have stayed at. Welcome to the forum and you can't go wrong with whatever Escape you choose.

Jerry
JerryS is offline   Reply With Quote