Using a Weight Distribution Hitch on a Grand Cherokee with load levelling suspension - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Using a Weight Distribution Hitch on a Grand Cherokee with load levelling suspension

We recently bought a second hand 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the V8 and with the factory tow package. The tow package includes a load levelling suspension and anti sway control.

Doing a bit of online research, it appears that when you load up the rear or attach a trailer the vehicle may sit lower than normal. Once you begin driving, the normal undulation of the road enables the shocks to automatically pump themselves up to the normal ride height.

We ordered an Escape 19 with the Anderson hitch. We pick up the trailer and get our orientation in May. A couple of questions:
1. With this tow vehicle, is a weight distribution hitch a good idea?
2. If it is a good idea, when Dennis sets up the Anderson hitch at ETI, are there unique procedures for this vehicle?

Dave Whiting
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
You will disable the leveling system for the initial set up of your hitch.
Once the sag is accounted for in the Anderson tension adjustment you can turn it back on.
The Anderson manual is in the "Files" section.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #3

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
G cherokee with WDH

I have been towing with the same vehicle 75000 miles total and have ignored the info about the self leveling. I do use the Andersen WDH and I really do like the combination on the 19 and now on the 21. I believe the leveling has to do with the shocks and I believe it all settles out. With the Andersen I do occasionally adjust the chains based on what I feel while driving, one more turn or less helps depending on water and other items we bring.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #4

Thanks Jack. Your info is always helpful.

Dave
Old 03-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whiting View Post
Doing a bit of online research, it appears that when you load up the rear or attach a trailer the vehicle may sit lower than normal. Once you begin driving, the normal undulation of the road enables the shocks to automatically pump themselves up to the normal ride height.
That sounds like the Sachs Nivomat design which has been offered since the 2011 model; the self-leveling action is entirely within the shock absorbers, and yes it does require those road bumps to work.

Quote:
2. If it is a good idea, when Dennis sets up the Anderson hitch at ETI, are there unique procedures for this vehicle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
You will disable the leveling system for the initial set up of your hitch.
Once the sag is accounted for in the Anderson tension adjustment you can turn it back on.
The only reason to disable a leveling system is that you are using suspension height as an indication of axle load to adjust the WD system. Because the Nivomat design doesn't do anything until you drive, there's nothing to turn off and it will make no difference to the adjustment process as long as you do it without driving around between steps.

I would check the end result of WD adjustment by taking the rig over a scale, and that would be especially useful with self-leveling.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #6

Thanks Brian
Yes, there is no switch to turn the self levelling system on or off. Self levelling will occur (if at all) once I am on the road with the WDH already "working its magic". It would certainly be prudent to take the TV and trailer over a scale and get three sets of readings for the front and rear axels of the TV: trailer attached but without WDH connected, trailer immediately after the WDH connected, and trailer with the WDH connected and driving a few kms.

A productive way to spend a Sunday afternoon when the highway scale is closed but the scale still works.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:52 PM   #7

Quote:
It would certainly be prudent to take the TV and trailer over a scale and get three sets of readings for the front and rear axels of the TV: trailer attached but without WDH connected, trailer immediately after the WDH connected, and trailer with the WDH connected and driving a few kms.
I agree, and I would appreciate a chance to see the results. I would add one more pass: tow vehicle alone.

Quote:
A productive way to spend a Sunday afternoon when the highway scale is closed but the scale still works.
That's my scale source, too, although it's just been a sidetrack on a trip for us since the first hookup of the trailer.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:56 PM   #8

Good idea Brian to take 4 sets of readings. We pick up our Escape 19 in early May and will make the measurements after that and share them then.

dave
Old 03-04-2015, 05:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
Hi Dave,
We have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the tow package and the equalizer WDH. I have wondered if the WDH is necessary and look forward to your results.
Maureen
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Dave-
The Jeep manual requires use of a weight distribution hitch if your trailer is over 3500 pounds. Of course, it doesn't specify which one.
We have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit Eco-Diesel and will be looking forward to hearing your experience with the setup procedure. We pick up our 21 on June
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We also have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 with tow package. We are picking up our Escape 19 in May, so I have no experience with it yet, but we have towed a 1968 Aristocrat 16 from California to Colorado and back last fall. We used a WDH and on the trip while going 65 mph on I-80, we had a trailer tire blowout on our single axle trailer. We heard the noise and quickly pulled the rig to the shoulder. We felt no handling impact when the tire blew, and I believe the WDH had a lot to do with that. I am a believer in both WDH and spare tires.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
We also have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 with tow package. We are picking up our Escape 19 in May, so I have no experience with it yet, but we have towed a 1968 Aristocrat 16 from California to Colorado and back last fall. We used a WDH and on the trip while going 65 mph on I-80, we had a trailer tire blowout on our single axle trailer. We heard the noise and quickly pulled the rig to the shoulder. We felt no handling impact when the tire blew, and I believe the WDH had a lot to do with that. I am a believer in both WDH and spare tires.
Good point that the WDH may have helped you on handling. We have the standard WDH that Escape issues and it has worked well. We depend on the double axle for a blowout but the WDH may help in that situation also.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:17 AM   #13

Wdh

Change a tire on a single axle trailer on the freeway in LA and you will immediately appreciate tandem axles and good quality tires.
Jack
Old 03-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #14

In multiple discussions (in three forums) of tire blowout events on single-axle trailers, I have yet to hear of anyone having difficulty controlling the trailer. It is logically an issue, but not a concern to me. It's a personal choice, but I certainly wouldn't add another layer of weight and complexity to the rig to help control this type of event.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Change a tire on a single axle trailer on the freeway in LA and you will immediately appreciate tandem axles and good quality tires.
Jack
Geico to the rescue.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Jack
My blowout occurred with a tire that was 1-1/2 years old, that is, pretty new. I wish I knew what causes trailer tires to go soon. It happened to me many years ago on a popup trailer, a similar tire failure with a tire about a year old, then not another failure for 10 years. And yes, the trailer did get blown off the jack once by a passing semi. Fortunately, I had just put the spare tire in place but not yet put on the wheel lugs, a scary moment. Also, I had put blocks under the bumper just in case. I have seen lots of speculation about what tire brands are better or worse, including discussion of "China bombs," and how to properly maintain tires, but no one seems to agree. Probably we all have individual experience but no good collective statistics to really tell us what to do as best practice.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I have seen lots of speculation about what tire brands are better or worse, including discussion of "China bombs," and how to properly maintain tires, but no one seems to agree.
You got that right. Tire discussions often devolve into religious-type arguments. I think the Goodyear Marathons are good tires, as well as the Carlisle tires used by Escape. 'Which trailer tire is best' is a discussion I am not interested in having.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #18

tires

I paid EXTRA to get Marathons on my 21, our speed limit here is 75.
I know others drive slower, but I'm used to flying everywhere.
Jack