Watch your tongue! :P - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Re: Watch your tongue! :P

Originally Posted by Robin
Does the torsion rubber ride suspension on the Escape trailers allow greater leeway on the hitch weight percentages?

I have not found any guidlines that differentiate between trailers with leaf springs and torsion rubber. I found the Escape is much more stable than the smaller utility trailers that I have with leaf springs. It seems that one would have to be more concerned about load balance with a suspension system more prone to oscillation. I wonder if these rules of thumb are too conservative when applied to the Escape. It seems the focus should be on the capabilities of the tow vehicle and keeping enough weight on the hitch that during acceleration there is still downward force on the ball as to not rely on the ball locking mechanisms.
Hi Robin,
I don't know the answer to your question, but thought I would mention that you have an easy way to track actual weights.
You can pull into the old highway scale on highway 9 just south of route 92. Its unattended, but turned on.
You can park with your axles on the platform, look in the window and see the readout, then drop you jack until the weight is off your hitch and look again fro the total weight.

paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #12
Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Re: Watch your tongue! :P

Paulw - Thanks for the Hwy 9 scale tip, I'll be sure to take advantage of the weighing opportunity. Looks like I will miss the Oregon and Escape rallies this spring/summer. Too many other commitments those weekends. At least part of them include the trailer, so we will be at the rallies in spirit.

robinwstebbins is offline   Reply With Quote