Watch your tongue! :P - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Watch your tongue! :P

Frederick L. Simpson over fiberglassrv.com published a list of trailer weighings from the past 4 years

I pulled out the Escape weigh-ins and it looks like there were some potential issues with hitch weight on about half the trailers, with three running very light, and two going slightly heavy on the hitch.

I calculated the hitch weight as a percentage of total weight. The shaded ones are below 9% or above 15% hitch weight. I am not sure what the manufacturer recommends but I have seen this published as a rule of thumb.

Are there different rules for fifth wheel hitch weight ratios?

Also not recorded was the level of fluids in each tank, but presumably these were the running weights that folks had actually towed with, so do give this some consideration!

It wasn't clear which of the trailers recorded as 19' were actually TT or fifth wheels. I expect most were 5.0.

Regards,

Matt

Source thread at Fiberglassrv.com
Attached Thumbnails
Escape Trailer Weights.png  
Old 02-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Watch your tongue! :P

Hi: memobug...Thanks for the :P lashing !!! 10-15% is ok... The listed 5.0 seems to need Dr. Atkins help. How much can a 1/2 ton truck safely carry...good question? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #3

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Frederick takes the weight measurements with the trailer unhitched from the TV.

A WDH transfers some of tongue weight to the trailer wheels and on the front end of the TV. It would seem that a WDH setup would alter the classic 10 to 15% rule of thumb. Does the rule of thumb still apply or is there another rule of thumb for WDHs?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I think the weight is still the same, it's just that it is more evenly distributed on the tow when using the equalizer hitch. So, I believe the rules still apply.

You can get much more towing info from the Sherline Trailer Towing Guide as a PDF at http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

Sherline actually makes lathes, but the owner wanted to ensure his trailers were properly loaded, so his company came up with the hitch scale and started manufacturing them.

I noted that the 17s listed on the weight graphic generally came in close to 320lb at the hitch and 2800 for the trailer overall.

All is good.

baglo

Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #5

gbaglo, the Sherline site is nice. But it raises a question. It states the for tandem axles the rule is 9% to15%. For a travel trailer the rule is 11% to 12%. So what to do with an Escape 19 foot, dual axle travel trailer? Split the difference 10% to 13.5%
Old 02-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I'm sure I read the range as 10 - 15 for a single axle. All my info is out in the trailer.

I've settled on 12 per cent as a target, but I'm not going to worry as long as I'm in the 10-15 range.

As in, I'm not going to stop and re-weigh the tongue after filling the fresh water, or after emptying the fresh by filling the black.

Escape Trailer Industries site specs are: 19' - approx. 256 hitch, 2510 trailer dry weight. 17' - approx. 250 hitch and 2100 trailer dry weight.

So, 12 per cent for either seems reasonable to me.

When I tried my new Sherline scale I found a hitch weight of 310 lbs. The trailer was hibernating so all the tanks are empty and there is nothing in the fridge, no beer under the bed.

I'll be weighing the hitch again after loading up for our first trip and probably redistributing and reducing weight. Until then, I'm working in a vacuum.

baglo

baglo
Old 02-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #7

Here's a copy and paste of the chart
RECOMMENDED HITCH WEIGHT PERCENTAGES

TYPE OF TRAILER
PERCENT OF WT. ON TONGUE

Single Axle
10% minimum/15% maximum

Tandem Axle
9% to 15%

Travel Trailer
11% to 12%

5th Wheel
15% to 25%

So the real question is what's the difference between a single axle and a travel trailer? Maybe the single axle is any non-travel trailer, like a U-Haul. And that single axle travel trailers (like the marvelous Escapes 13, 15 and 17) have its own weight guidelines. If this is true, then logically, a tandem axle would be a double axle utility trailer and the Escape 19 would fall in the travel trailer guidelines.

Overall, it sounds like any Escape (except the 5.0) should be fine in the 9% - 15% range.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape

Does the torsion rubber ride suspension on the Escape trailers allow greater leeway on the hitch weight percentages?

I have not found any guidlines that differentiate between trailers with leaf springs and torsion rubber. I found the Escape is much more stable than the smaller utility trailers that I have with leaf springs. It seems that one would have to be more concerned about load balance with a suspension system more prone to oscillation. I wonder if these rules of thumb are too conservative when applied to the Escape. It seems the focus should be on the capabilities of the tow vehicle and keeping enough weight on the hitch that during acceleration there is still downward force on the ball as to not rely on the ball locking mechanisms.
robinwstebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Robin... My take on the TorFlex tortion tube axle is weight related. Much lighter than springs and shackles. The Escapes positioning of the axle rearward, the water tank placements and propane tank location plus lower center of gravity have as much to do with positive tongue weights. Therefore the style of, and number of axles is just one part of the total stability equasion.
As we also know the numbers of fiberglass trailers produced per year is small in comparison to the stickies which may impact on the towing rules of thumb. This is looking at my thumb which is always pointing up for fiberglass trailers in general and Escapes in particular!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #10

Rules of thumb are great, if you are measuring your thumb.
There must be something more accurate if you are measuring anything else.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Does the torsion rubber ride suspension on the Escape trailers allow greater leeway on the hitch weight percentages?

I have not found any guidlines that differentiate between trailers with leaf springs and torsion rubber. I found the Escape is much more stable than the smaller utility trailers that I have with leaf springs. It seems that one would have to be more concerned about load balance with a suspension system more prone to oscillation. I wonder if these rules of thumb are too conservative when applied to the Escape. It seems the focus should be on the capabilities of the tow vehicle and keeping enough weight on the hitch that during acceleration there is still downward force on the ball as to not rely on the ball locking mechanisms.
Hi Robin,
I don't know the answer to your question, but thought I would mention that you have an easy way to track actual weights.
You can pull into the old highway scale on highway 9 just south of route 92. Its unattended, but turned on.
You can park with your axles on the platform, look in the window and see the readout, then drop you jack until the weight is off your hitch and look again fro the total weight.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape

Paulw - Thanks for the Hwy 9 scale tip, I'll be sure to take advantage of the weighing opportunity. Looks like I will miss the Oregon and Escape rallies this spring/summer. Too many other commitments those weekends. At least part of them include the trailer, so we will be at the rallies in spirit.
Robin
robinwstebbins is offline   Reply With Quote