waxed paper on hitch ball - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #1

waxed paper on hitch ball

Apparently, quite a few people do not use grease on their hitch balls. Instead, they fold a 24" square piece of waxed paper twice and put that on the hitch ball, then put on the coupler. One man says his hitch ball is still shiny nine years later.

Does anyone know if this is sufficient? I don't know if waxed paper just never caught on or if it does not really do the job. As I understand it, without grease, the coupler can act as a wrench and turn the ball until it comes off. Many folks have lost the hitch ball for that and other reasons (and lost the trailer). There is no question that grease or similar is necessary. Any waxed paper experts out there?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Re: waxed paper on hitch ball

That is an interesting idea. I have added it to my "try it" list. I usually use grease or liquid hand soap as the lubricant. The soap washes off in the next rain. Both still have the chance of getting you dirty.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

In theory, wax should do a decent job as the lube. I wonder what happens to the paper? What about just using paraffin wax blocks and rubbing that on the ball? My favorite lube for my bicycle chain has been to soak it in heated/melted wax. It penetrates into the spaces in the links, stays clean, resists water and lasts a long time.

I have been using a spray on lube that dries to a white powder that I picked up at Menards on our hitch ball. It claims to be teflon, but who knows. It does seem to work fairly well. I originally bought it for use with my bike chain also. They sell small bottles of the same kind of stuff at bike shops for more than the much larger can costs at Menards.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #4

They use a new piece of waxed paper every time. I might have goofed on the size, 24" seems big. Maybe it is 12".
I also heard about using dish liquid.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I use a spray lube for hitches.
And, I ALWAYS pick the hitch up by the ball, spreading the lube and dirt all over my hand. ALWAYS.

baglo
Old 02-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #6

I used the exact technique myself back in our hitch-ball days. Now I simply bump into the king pin every now-and-then so my arms get an interesting tiger strip pattern.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Cathy... Back in our Boler days I used a small tube, slightly bigger than lip balm, of Lub-a-Stick white silicone grease. It looks much better on your hands if they're on the ball. Made by Panef Mfg. Ltd. Milwaukee Wi. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I dunno, it does not sound like a good idea at all, to me. I sure would not do it. I can't see it working as good as a proper lubricant. You also run the risk of it balling up in the hitch. Besides, if you keep your hitch adjusted properly, the clearance tolerances between the ball and the hitch would not allow it to fit proper.

If the issue is the grease getting on anything, this is not a big deal at all. I wipe mine regular and reapply a tiny dab when taking off again. Don't forget to wipe out the insides of the hitch too. When I don't, I cover the ball with one of these, available in lots of places,including Princess Auto. LINK
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #9

I think you are right, Jim. I have the grease and hitch ball cover, ready to go.
By the way, what size is the hitch ball for a 19'? Is it different depending on the tow vehicle or whether a WDH is used?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Hitch ball is 2" ( as I recall ) and comes with the WDH. Would cost $6.99 at a Canadian Tire, if you want two.

I got a hitch with a ball when I had my class III hitch receiver installed, and I have another that came with the WDH.

Anyway, just one more thing you don't have to worry about.

baglo