WDH Cons - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Because my truck is so heavy duty , really don’t know I am towing . I could almost tow 3 19 ‘s . But loading the trailer is very important . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Jayco Hummingbird
I’m curious if anyone uses a WDH with air suspension? escape will not install a WDH if the tow vehicle has air suspension. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 with air suspension. I’m considering moving to an Escape 21 from our current Jayco Hummingbird. I use the WDH now, never towed without it, so I can’t compare. Does the WDH “fight” the auto leveling of the air suspension?
Any thoughts? Thanks!
Steve F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Can you disable the air suspension on the truck? If I remember there are 3 settings and once you set the height it stays there?
As far as ETI not installing it, you can always install yourself if you can disable the air suspension. I have air bags in my Ram which I add more air when towing.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #24

Jim,
Yes, I think I can. I’m wondering if I even need a WDH with the air suspension though
Old 09-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A weight distribution hitch redistributes weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle and to the trailer axle(s).

All the air bags do is make it harder to compress the rear suspension. That will help aim your headlights, but that's all.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I had a 2004 Ford Freestar Minivan and a 2004 Fleetwood Redwood Tent Trailer 14’ box high wall, really big, 3250 lbs. I used a WDH for that, worked really well considering I was way over the vans capacity when loaded. The shady salesman convinced me it was fine.
For such a large trailer, I forgot it was back there.

Years later and much smarter, I had a 2008 Tacoma and an Escape 17b. I towed it with and without a WDH hitch. I only used the hitch on the highway as it improved the ride, no bounce.

Today, I recently bought a 2019 Tundra 4.6 4x4 DC and when I pickup my new 19’ Escape, I will be using a WDH. The Tundra will tow it all day long without it, but it just makes the ride nicer. You tend to forget your towing.

I forgot the cons, the hitch head is heavy, it takes 3 minutes to set it up. Costs $375

Pros, great comfortable ride.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #27

Thanks gbaglo,

So, why would ETI not install a WDH? I’m curious.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
I’m curious if anyone uses a WDH with air suspension? escape will not install a WDH if the tow vehicle has air suspension. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 with air suspension. I’m considering moving to an Escape 21 from our current Jayco Hummingbird. I use the WDH now, never towed without it, so I can’t compare. Does the WDH “fight” the auto leveling of the air suspension?
Any thoughts? Thanks!
See page 536 of your owner's manual at:
http://owners.mopar.ca/en/manuals/20..._35-OM-4th.pdf
It tells you how to set up a WDH with the air suspension.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #29

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
...as long as your driving is error free, and there is no one else on the road to create unexpected problems, it seems the WDH would be a waste of money.
I think that error-free driving and no one else on the road is something nice to strive for but for all practical purposes unrealistic.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
A weight distribution hitch redistributes weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle and to the trailer axle(s).

All the air bags do is make it harder to compress the rear suspension. That will help aim your headlights, but that's all.
If the truck's rear axle is not overloaded, there's no need to redistribute that load. Adding air to the rear air springs doesn't just fix the truck pitch angle (and thus headlight aim), it increases spring rate to better suit the load.

Real trucks hauling 40 tons or more use air springs - not WD systems - and it's not to fix headlight aim.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:10 PM   #31

Jamman,

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
So, why would ETI not install a WDH? I’m curious.
You should ask them, but it may be due to an invalid general statement by a WDH manufacturer.

It works out okay anyway, because if someone is not willing to do the installation they're probably not able to do it properly, anyway.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Can you disable the air suspension on the truck? If I remember there are 3 settings and once you set the height it stays there?
Not likely. The factory-optional full air suspension is not just add-on bags; the air springs are the only springs. A factory system should not allow the driver to just turn off the system so that suitable pressure is not maintained and then drive the vehicle, although it should (and the Ram system does) allow the driver to select a constant height instead of, for instance, varying with speed. Constant-height is not off or disabled.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If the truck's rear axle is not overloaded, there's no need to redistribute that load.

So, you're saying that if my RAV4 has a maximum tongue weight of 350 lbs and my tongue only weights 320 lbs. that there is no need for a WDH? I don't care where my headlights point since I don't drive after dusk. I do prefer the ride and security afforded by the WDH.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
So, you're saying that if my RAV4 has a maximum tongue weight of 350 lbs and my tongue only weights 320 lbs. that there is no need for a WDH? I don't care where my headlights point since I don't drive after dusk. I do prefer the ride and security afforded by the WDH.
Not quite - you may still overload the rear suspension while the tongue weight is within the limit, with enough cargo or passengers. Also, the context was Steve's truck with air suspension, which will level itself with or without WD... which the RAV4 won't do.

My van has the same 350 pound weight-distributing limit, but higher payload and longer wheelbase so rear axle load is still fine with 320 pounds on the hitch and hundreds of pounds of cargo - no WD required. The air bags don't change any of that, but they do improve ride, handling, and rear clearance (and headlight aim).
Old 09-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #36

I don't load up the RAV. I place BBQ, etc. in the trailer over the axle as much as possible. Then I use cases of beer to balance the load, placing them forward as required.
I've driven the RAV short distances without the WDH bars and much prefer the ride and security of weight distribution.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:52 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We can tow without a WDH. However, we decided we would prefer the safety of a WDH hitch. In an emergency stop the trailer will tend to 'dive' meaning the front of the trailer will head toward the ground bringing the front of the tow vehicle off the ground (not literally of course). This can cause you to lose braking control and steering of the wheels on the front axle. A WDH will help prevent this situation by 'distributing' the weight evenly across all axles.

Happy Trails and stay safe out there!
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:30 AM   #38

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Don't forget many WDH systems include some form of anti-sway too.

I get a lot of benefits from a WDH with my tow vehicle (a 4Runner), so for me it's definitely worth the few extra minutes of time it requires.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:07 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
In an emergency stop the trailer will tend to 'dive' meaning the front of the trailer will head toward the ground bringing the front of the tow vehicle off the ground (not literally of course). This can cause you to lose braking control and steering of the wheels on the front axle. A WDH will help prevent this situation by 'distributing' the weight evenly across all axles.
But the tow vehicle itself is transferring load from the rear wheels to the front because of the same braking. It would be interesting to see if any rig actually reduced front axle load under braking. Does the nose of your tug rise while braking?

A WDH doesn't inherently distribute load evenly - it shifts load from the rear axle to the front and trailer axles. The proportion between load transferred to front and trailer axles depends only on the distances between axles, not what would make the distribution even.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:57 AM   #40

So, the question is, does it feel good when you do it?

Tags
gvw, tow vehicle, wdh