WDH Cons - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 02:42 AM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
So, the question is, does it feel good when you do it?
That's the key, isn't it? To most people it doesn't matter what is physically happening, only how it feels to them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:05 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My opinion is in emergency situations with evasive actions, a w/d set up feels more secure with the trailer following the tow vehicle without any jerk or sway. Also on bumpy roads there maybe less porpoising between the tow and trailer. I may still get one if I can find one on sale.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:25 AM   #43

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
I’m curious if anyone uses a WDH with air suspension? escape will not install a WDH if the tow vehicle has air suspension. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 with air suspension. I’m considering moving to an Escape 21 from our current Jayco Hummingbird. I use the WDH now, never towed without it, so I can’t compare. Does the WDH “fight” the auto leveling of the air suspension?
Any thoughts? Thanks!
I have remote controlled air bags on my F250 and ETI installed the Pro Series for me last month.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Gbaglo, do you constantly resupply or not actually consume the beer you bring? If you are using it to help balance the trailer just wondering how you handle that as you drive back home, resupply before you get there?
Also we talking bottles or cans since that would effect the weight as well?
I like your idea better then dealing with a WDH .

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:08 AM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen View Post
Correct, but most importantly the question is, if matched correctly (TV and Trailer) do you really need a WDH?
To the original question. If matched correctly, or using a larger, longer, tow vehicle with excess capacity, No I do not believe you "need" a WDH. But many folks using smaller and shorter tow vehicles do need them, and those that do use them on larger tow vehicles "feel" better using them.

We also are way over capacity on our tow vehicle, I tow either with or without the WHD. Using it will smooth some of the porpoising on the highway. With to much lift on the bars I believe it puts to much stress on the trailer frame and could cause issues with the frame or possibly cause the front box to rub the trailer front at times.
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Gbaglo, do you constantly resupply or not actually consume the beer you bring? Steve

Consumption of beer is compensated by a reduction of water in the fresh water tank ( which is aft of the axle ) and filling of the black tank ( which is under the forward bench ).

Cans are compact, taking up less space in the fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
beer fridge.jpg  
Old 09-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #47

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Gbaglo, do you constantly resupply or not actually consume the beer you bring? If you are using it to help balance the trailer just wondering how you handle that as you drive back home, resupply before you get there?
Also we talking bottles or cans since that would effect the weight as well?
I like your idea better then dealing with a WDH .

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
Perhaps he pees into his empties and replaces to keep the correct ballast.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
Yah, that would sort of be like a perpetual motion solution to balance.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All I see is liquids inside, except for I guess is salmon on the top shelf? You can not complain of being dehydrated.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All I see is liquids inside, except for I guess is salmon on the top shelf? You can not complain of being dehydrated.
I also saw that and was wondering where is the food ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #51

I replaced the Pro Series 600 WDH I had installed at ETI with the Equal-I-Zer 1000/10000. This WDH has a 600-1000 TW. My trailer tongue weight is about 550 lbs But I have an AUX fuel tank and two tool boxes in the bed of my truck(F250). One is all behind the rear axle and I add this weight to my tongue weight for WDH purposes.

We use Equal-I-Zer here on the farm and I put one on my truck and trailer, did all the install stuff and took My E21 on my monthly Corpus Christi run.

Truck and trailer ran like it was on rails. I seldom pass anyone when pulling a trailer, or solo , for that matter.

I did today tho, Kinda fun.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Equilibrium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
Well that comment took me back 50 years. My dad and I would fish out of my 14 foot boat and copious amounts of beer he consumed. After a time he would wax philosophical as he relieved himself and cracked another beer. He would say “Can for can”
Gone too soon he left me with a lifetime of sayings and platitudes to live by. My brother and I stop at the cemetery fairly often, usually independently, and have a beer with Mom and Dad. Thanks for the comment.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #53

Trailer: 2001 Casita
I tried the WDH and didn’t like it!

I tried the WDH and didn’t like it. It hangs to low and scrapes on speed bumps and dips. The bars are heavy and have to be pushed up into the hitch until they snap. It weighs a 100 pounds! I have a manual crank and the trailer has to be lifted then lowered. The stresses on the trailer frame with a 1 1/2 round solid steel spring bars chained to a 1/8 inch trailer frame is to dangerous. They’re not recommended on some vehicles because of the stresses on the frame and hitch. I saw a post on another forum where the hitch was ripped off the unibody frame. It’s like lifting a fully loaded paper plate from the edge! When going through a dip or a parking lot that is higher than the road and the tow vehicle is up, it causes the spring bars to put an extreme amount of pressure and stress on the frames!
I use air bags now. The industry uses airbags for their suspension on their trailers. Even 18 wheelers use them. Just inflate and you have weight distribution and a level tow vehicle. The Nissan Pathfinder like most SUVs has a soft suspension. The airbags stiffen the suspension and prevent swaying and porpoising. We’ve been through storms, cross winds, mountains, passed by 18 wheelers and never lost control. The great thing is that the suspension can be adjusted according to the situations. I also have better traction on my front wheel drive because of the weight distribution.
Marky! 😉
Marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky View Post
I tried the WDH and didn’t like it. It hangs to low and scrapes on speed bumps and dips.
Marky! 😉
Did you set the ball platform to the correct inclination? It controls the angle of the spring bars. When set correctly they should be level in place or only slope downwards at a slight angle.

I did the opposite. I won't say how many years I towed boat trailer, tent trailers, travel trailers, motorcycle trailers, well, you get the idea, but a long, long time. Every time I saw someone using a WDH I thought why oh why are they using that heavy lump of metal, I tow fine without it.

Then when I got my E19, because I was towing with a relatively small truck, a Ford Ranger, I got one. I could feel the difference. I don't think that my F150 "needs" it but I wouldn't tow without it, not because I "need" it but because I like it and want it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #55

Quote:
The industry uses airbags for their suspension on their trailers. Even 18 wheelers use them. Just inflate and you have weight distribution and a level tow vehicle. The Nissan Pathfinder like most SUVs has a soft suspension. The airbags stiffen the suspension and prevent swaying and porpoising. We’ve been through storms, cross winds, mountains, passed by 18 wheelers and never lost control. The great thing is that the suspension can be adjusted according to the situations. I also have better traction on my front wheel drive because of the weight distribution.
All true except that inflating the air bags does not change the distribution of load (weight) between axles.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
All true except that inflating the air bags does not change the distribution of load (weight) between axles.
Some think air bags also increase load carrying capacity, Not so!
Old 09-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #57

Quote:
Sure it does! It sends the weight to the front of the tow and the axle of the trailer.its also safer on the frame.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
It sure does! People in the Industry use it all the time! Within reason of course either. WDH doesn’t increase the load carrying capacity, it distributes the weight. The main problem is adding 100 pounds to an overloaded hitch and then grabbing the TV hitch by the very end and using it as a lever to pull up the weight. That’s like putting 40 pounds on a shovel and grabbing it by the very end to pick it up! Now try adding another 30 pounds and doing the same thing! Then also using the spring bars to pull up the trailer by the tongue to lift it.
Another thing a forgot to mention is if anything happens to me, which I hope never does, my wife will be able to hitch the camper inflate the bags and drive us home. She’s 5 ft tall, retired, and I couldn’t imagine her putting in a 100 pound hitch and reaching under the hitch to snap in the solid steel spring bars!
Another great thing about airbags is you can adjust the ride. Increase the pressure for towing and decrease the pressure for a smooth ride! No need to have your passengers bouncing around like popcorn in a kettle! Or buying a a 4X4 with a stiff ride, but everyone is different and if you like WDH or need a 4X4 then use it!
Old 09-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #59

Quote:
... inflating the air bags does not change the distribution of load (weight) between axles.
Quote:
Sure it does! It sends the weight to the front of the tow and the axle of the trailer.its also safer on the frame.
No, changing anything about the springs on an axle does not change the load carried by that axle. Anything done to the suspension of any axle cannot change the load on other axles.

The load distribution between axles is determined entirely by the mass distribution of the vehicles, the placement of the axles, and any torque applied about the hitching pivot point (the ball). A weight-distribution (WD) system applies that torque, but without WD there will be no change to the distribution of load between axles... except the tiny effect of moving mass location by tilting the vehicles.

Think of it this way: if I pump up the rear axle airbags and load transfers to the front and trailer axles, doesn't that mean that if I pump them up enough the rear tires will leave the ground? Yes, that's ridiculous... because it is physically nonsensical.

Air suspension is a great thing, but it doesn't perform miracles.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Quote:
It sure does! People in the Industry use it all the time!
There are several factors determining the load capacity of an axle. Changing springs in any way (including replacing them with air springs or supplementing them with air springs or rubber blocks or extra leaves or coils on the shocks) does not change the other factors, so it does not increase the axle capacity.

Adding air springs to an existing suspension can substantially improve suspension performance, meaning that the vehicle can handle heavy loads better. That doesn't change the allowable limit of axle load, but it can increase the load at which an operator (driver) is comfortable with the vehicle's behaviour.

Air springs are widely used in medium-duty and heavy-duty trucks, to the point that it is now hard to find a Class 8 highway truck without air suspension... but the same trucks with steel springs would have the same load capacity (just not drive as well, especially when partially loaded).

WD systems don't change axle load capacity, either... they only shift load to other axles.

Tags
gvw, tow vehicle, wdh