WDH Cons - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #141
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
What would we do for entertainment?

Ron
Isn't that the truth

Where we get all tangled up is if someone innocently asks... What's the best... Laudy, there is no best, it's all subjective. Then folks pile on with their justifications for what they desire. I'm never going to justify what I like, besides how can I truly fully explain THAT.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #142

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
The Equal-I-Zer Web Site has a 'Hitch Size Calculator'...
... and, shockingly, it says that you need WDH to handle load in the truck box! Gee, I would have thought that they would have minimized the need for WD.

Quote:
Gross Trailer Wright 4500
Tongue Weight 600
Cargo(After Axle) 200

These numbers are conservative for me.

The calculator comes up with the 1000/10000
My entries:

Gross Trailer Weight 0
Tongue Weight 0
Cargo(After Axle) 200

The Equal-i-zer calculator comes up with the 400/4000!

Yes, these people who make and sell WD systems are saying that if you don't have a trailer at all, and put only 200 pounds in the back of your "half ton" or heavier pickup, you should get a trailer and put a WD system on it to prop up the back of your truck, just as I used as a ridiculous example.

I tried it with zero trailer and tongue weight, but 600 pounds of cargo, and it said
Quote:
you appear to be close to exceeding the maximum weight rating of the hitch. You may want to consider a heavier hitch, especially if the amount of cargo you are carrying increases.
That's right... the tongue weight and trailer weight are zero, and they want me to get a bigger hitch.

This is not engineering, it's marketing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #143

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Thanks Brian, for going the extra kilometre and exposing the intraweb for what it is - a gold mine of misinformation.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:00 AM   #144

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Should have known a 'calculator' would be trouble but I like my WDH and I'm sticking with it.

I did mention earlier that I am stubborn, didn't I?
Old 09-24-2019, 06:08 AM   #145

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I will debate, discuss, argue any subject but first we must agree the I am right and everyone else is wrong.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:53 AM   #146

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
I will debate, discuss, argue any subject but first we must agree the I am right and everyone else is wrong.
That is debatable......
Old 09-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #147

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I have a Tundra 5.7 4x4 crewmax with the Husky TS WDH. The Husky WDH does more than just level out the truck /trailer - don't forget the anti-sway.

Most of the time you don't need the anti-sway but for the rare times that you do - you will thank God it's there. A sudden need to swerve, the trailer acts like it wants to swap places with the truck, and that WDH with anti-sway becomes your best friend.

It's kinda like that seat belt. It's a little hassle to use but on the rare occasions that it is needed, could really make a difference.
I have a 2017 Tundra 5.7 as well with the WTD installed by Escape and wouldn't pull without it. I've been blasted by cross winds in the west and my setup doesn't budge. The weigh distribution really works well, as I have my front box loaded with all my leveling stuff. I get very little sag in the back end when I hook up, even with a full water tank. I did double check the setup when I got home to verify it was installed correctly by Escape and it was spot on.
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #148

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostskier View Post
I have a 2017 Tundra 5.7 as well with the WTD installed by Escape and wouldn't pull without it. I've been blasted by cross winds in the west and my setup doesn't budge. The weigh distribution really works well, as I have my front box loaded with all my leveling stuff. I get very little sag in the back end when I hook up, even with a full water tank. I did double check the setup when I got home to verify it was installed correctly by Escape and it was spot on.
Thanks - though I'll be pulling "just" a 17B, I'm planning to school myself to the WDH, and using it on longer/high speed/highway trips. May not use every outing in NH/VT/ME, as those will be me-n-my-trailer, just toodling along, on slower/quieter local roads.
Sure do appreciate all this info - helps set my course.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:08 PM   #149

Trailer: Escape 21
With my RAM tv, I probably can drive just fine without a WDH. But I couldn’t stop ticking off the check boxes on my build sheet, and ETI went ahead and installed it.

Cons then, for me, are that it takes 2 minutes to press the jack button up to get them loose.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #150

Trailer: 2014 17b Escape
We have an Andersen hitch it works well but started squeaking badly on turns. Two years ago Andersen sent a a new cone insert which helped but now the squeaking has come back badly. Sent three warranty request emails via their website to Andersen, no reply. Tried to call voicemail box is full. Any ideas what is going on at Andersen? Worried maybe they are going bankrupt or something like that. I heard their customer service is really good but not this time.
Clack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:29 PM   #151

Probably all out carving their initials into national monuments.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #152

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 and a less than thrilled 2017 Tacoma dragging it around the countryside
I seem to remember reading that the preferred WDH match is that the tongue weight should be near the upper capacity limit of the hitch, i.e. a tongue weight of 590# would be better suited to a 600/6,000 WDH than a 800/8,000 unit. Confirm? Refute?

"I read it on the internet, it must be true".

Is it too many people or not enough beach?
rjreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #153

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreeves View Post
I seem to remember reading that the preferred WDH match is that the tongue weight should be near the upper capacity limit of the hitch, i.e. a tongue weight of 590# would be better suited to a 600/6,000 WDH than a 800/8,000 unit. Confirm? Refute?
That makes sense to me, because it would avoid excessively stiff spring bars.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #154

Trailer: 2018 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clack99 View Post
We have an Andersen hitch it works well but started squeaking badly on turns. Two years ago Andersen sent a a new cone insert which helped but now the squeaking has come back badly. Sent three warranty request emails via their website to Andersen, no reply. Tried to call voicemail box is full. Any ideas what is going on at Andersen? Worried maybe they are going bankrupt or something like that. I heard their customer service is really good but not this time.
I contacted them through their website. Went back and forth with a service rep and I'm supposed to be getting a complete new ball, socket and triangle.this was all do this week.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #155

Trailer: Deposit down
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimie View Post
Thanks - though I'll be pulling "just" a 17B, I'm planning to school myself to the WDH, and using it on longer/high speed/highway trips. May not use every outing in NH/VT/ME, as those will be me-n-my-trailer, just toodling along, on slower/quieter local roads.
Sure do appreciate all this info - helps set my course.

Have you picked up your 17B yet? Did you go with or without the WDH?
chutoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #156

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Mimi posted this on the Escape Facebook group

"Very happily about to head East (home) to NH pulling our 17B, picked up in Chilliwack on October 30.
Towing with 2011 Tundra."
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #157

Trailer: Deposit down
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Mimi posted this on the Escape Facebook group

"Very happily about to head East (home) to NH pulling our 17B, picked up in Chilliwack on October 30.
Towing with 2011 Tundra."
Congrats! Are you using a WDH or not? How does the ride feel? I’m at Toyota now negotiating a 2019 Tundra.
chutoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutoy View Post
Have you picked up your 17B yet? Did you go with or without the WDH?
I kept the WDH and am using it. The rig drives beautifully so far, haven’t been on interstate yet. About to drive from Seattle area to NH, taking I-80.

It’s a bit fussy to hitch and unhitch - seems to work best when truck/trailer in-line, and on relatively flat surface.

Very happy with it so far, anyway - glad for the extra stability for the upcoming trip
mimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimie View Post
It’s a bit fussy to hitch and unhitch - seems to work best when truck/trailer in-line, and on relatively flat surface.
You can hurt yourself if you don't jack up the hitch to take tension off the WDH bars. It's definitely best to be in line and on the level.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You can hurt yourself if you don't jack up the hitch to take tension off the WDH bars. It's definitely best to be in line and on the level.
Yeah, our folks trained us ALL to be "in line and on the level", in all things (a tough lesson, at times, for each of the 8 of us )

'bout time I re-upped those lessons, the trailer will teach me the truth of them!

Tags
gvw, tow vehicle, wdh