WDH Weight Ratings - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
WDH Weight Ratings

We just purchased a low-milage 2007 Rav4 for towing our future 17B! The consensus here seems to be that the WDH is a great benefit for this combination, and I believe the one rated for 4000 lb. However, my local dealers cannot seem to locate anything with a rating under 6-8,000 lbs. I am wondering what brands/suppliers offer the smaller rating? Thanks for any assistance with this!
Arthur
Old 04-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: WDH Weight Ratings

Give U-Haul a call for the hitch receiver and wiring ( brake controller, etc. ) and buy the hitch itself from Escape. Reace will install it.

BTW, you don't indicate where you are.

baglo
Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #3

Thanks! So, no need for the cash outlay now when I can be sure of getting the right unit from Reace. And I have a local RV service shop who I know do good work who will install the Class III hitch, the Prodigy 3, and the wiring. Thanks to advice here I know to ask for a # 10 minimum charge wire, and a ground wire to be run from the front of the vehicle, and I have viewed the controller installation supplied previously through a link by Vermilye. Thanks to all!. I don't have to "reinvent the wheel," i.e. installation. I'll hang around while it's installed to make sure I'm getting what I want.

I was waiting for a low-milage used Rav4 to appear, preferable locally. One showed up, a bit earlier than I needed it, but I went ahead. It's a 2007 limited, 6 banger of course, with 29K kilometers. Looks and drives like a new vehicle. I would have preferred a later model, but this car is a beauty. And I believe that the last major changes were in the 2006 model. Bought it from the local Toyota dealer, with good documentation, so I am confident that the odometer was not tampered with. Saved about 35% over buying new. Turning 65 next January and quitting my current job, so looking forward to more time for travel. That's the vision, anyway.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #4

You done good.

Do get a quote for the receiver and wiring from U-Haul as well as the RV shop.
My buddy used U-Haul and paid about $50 less than I did, but he did have to take it back to get some wiring corrected.

baglo
Old 04-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #5

Thanks Baglo, and I think his having to take it back illustrates the importance of going with people you know and trust. Some folks, when they talk, you can tell that they know what they are talking about and care about the end product.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #6

Question, why do you have to run a charge wire #10.

I have prodigy brake controler and as I understand the instructions it charges the battery as I drive.

As noted in other postings, I purchased a equalizer hitch from Escape and Dave installed it an set it up on our 19.

Am I wrong in this.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #7

I think we might have gone off the rails some time ago, but, I've not pursued the issue to correct it.

The Prodigy brake controller has nothing to do with it. It doesn't charge the trailer.

As I recall, when I discussed wiring with Reace, we were talking about installing the 3.5 cu. ft. three-way fridge. It would receive power from the vehicle while towing, or from AC or propane when disconnected from the tow. To power it from the tow on DC, it required a #10 ground wire or it couldn't manage the job.

I opted for the 5 cu. ft. fridge that only runs on AC or propane, so the ground wire wasn't an issue, but I had #10 installed anyway. The installer charged me $25 extra to buy the heavier capacity wire.

So, you should discuss with Reace. Depending on the type of fridge you are having installed, you could just go with the standard wire or you may need the heavier ground wire.

baglo

Old 04-21-2011, 12:22 AM   #8

Trailer: No more Escape 21

The #10 wire is to charge the Escape battery from the TV. The #10 (or larger) wire is required to overcome the resistance, and hence voltage drop, given the distance from the alternator and the trailer battery.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #9

Yes, so the # 10 wire is a charge wire, not a "ground" wire, as Baglo has incorrectly labeled it above. The ground wire, on the other hand, is to assure the continuity of the all-important ground (or, current returning to the negative terminal of the battery), rather than grounding to the TV chassis, which can on some occasions provide an inconsistent ground due mainly to corrosion. So, should the ground wire also be #10, or could it be #12 or smaller? It seems like it should be #10, because if we are concerned about voltage drop and resistance losses on the way to the trailer batteries, the concern would be equal on the way back to the TV battery. :P
Old 04-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #10

Beats me. I'm only reciting to the best of my recollection. The point being, that if you aren't trying to run the fridge on DC under tow, you don't need the higher capacity wire. And, if you only have a two-way fridge, you don't need a DC feed. Which may be why the guy installing the hitch questioned the need for the heavier wire over his standard install.

Anyway, I've asked Tammy or Reace to step in and clarify, should they find the time.

baglo
Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

The fridge on 12 volt is the only reason you would need a heavier gauge wire.
From what I can remember, the fridge draws about 10 plus amps on 12 volt.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #12

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver
Yes, so the # 10 wire is a charge wire, not a "ground" wire, as Baglo has incorrectly labeled it above. The ground wire, on the other hand, is to assure the continuity of the all-important ground (or, current returning to the negative terminal of the battery), rather than grounding to the TV chassis, which can on some occasions provide an inconsistent ground due mainly to corrosion. So, should the ground wire also be #10, or could it be #12 or smaller? It seems like it should be #10, because if we are concerned about voltage drop and resistance losses on the way to the trailer batteries, the concern would be equal on the way back to the TV battery. :P
Yep, #10 for the ground line is good.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #13

I stand my ground.

baglo
Old 04-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #14

If you are concerned about the load carrying capacity of the positive and negative wire, you should also be concerned about flexibility as you are running the circuit from the truck to the trailer.
You should also be concerned about the mechanical safety of the circuit from damage through wear and tear.

Having said all of the above, the wire you should be using is.

#4 light welding cable, and it is not costly.

I use it for a grounding wire on my gas filled slip tank.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

Most hitch companies will usually only install 12 gauge wire for charge and ground wires. This will work, however 10 gauge for both is preferred. This is due to the voltage drop lost in the distance from the front to rear of the vehicle and the for the required draw for charging the battery during travel. The draw for charging the battery will vary depending on how low the voltage is on the trailer battery or if the fridge is running on 12V. The charge and ground wire on the trailer side are 10 gauge.

Just an FYI about the Rav 4...there are two class 3 hitches available. One is particularily designed for use with an WDH.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #16

Thanks Reace! I am headed in to get the hitch this Friday, and the brand they are planning to install is a Draw-tite, which the dealer says is a division of Hidden Hitch. Is that the right one, or should I ask for something different??
Old 04-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

Draw-Tite, Reese, and Hidden Hitch are all owned by Cequent. http://www.cequentgroup.com/ When I was hitch shopping for my Rav4, all of their Class 3 round tube hitches looked the same to me. They are rated at 350 lbs tongue weight and 3500 lbs towing and 400/4000 Weight distributing. A class 2 hitch is also available in all three brands that is rated at 300/3500 lbs but it is not rated for weight distributing. Reace may be able to confirm or refute this with his greater experience.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

The Rav 4 apparently has two class 3 hitches available. One is not rated for use with an EQ hitch. I don't believe it is a specific brand over another....but can't confirm that. Another owner brought this to my attention when they were getting ready to pick up their trailer. The one that was already installed on the car was a class 3, but not rated...they had it changed out to one that was listed for use with an EQ.

There is a tag on the hitch which will indicate the ratings....make sure it has EQ ratings on it.

Hope that helps.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #19

Thanks Reece and Harold, and I am hearing from the dealer that the one they have ordered has an EQ rating, the same as Harold has described above, so I'm going ahead with it tomorrow. Thanks again for your assistance!