WDH? with Silverado - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
WDH? with Silverado

Hi Everyone!

We have really enjoyed this forum and the wealth of information that it offers. We are picking up our 21 Escape in a couple of weeks and have a 2015 Silverado. We are going on a trip with it shortly after picking it up and would like to get the appropriate hitch sorted out before we go so everything's level. I have an adjustable WDH that is quite beefy, but it will require me switching the ball on it and I'm also worried that the bar on the hitch that allows the adjustable hitch height is going to sit too low and I'll bottom out on steep inclines. I do already have a hitch with a 2" ball and the perfect drop height that should work, but it's not a WDH. Can anyone share their experiences or opinion as to whether a WDH is necessary for this TV and trailer combo? Thanks so much for your input.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
Hi Everyone!

We have really enjoyed this forum and the wealth of information that it offers. We are picking up our 21 Escape in a couple of weeks and have a 2015 Silverado. We are going on a trip with it shortly after picking it up and would like to get the appropriate hitch sorted out before we go so everything's level. I have an adjustable WDH that is quite beefy, but it will require me switching the ball on it and I'm also worried that the bar on the hitch that allows the adjustable hitch height is going to sit too low and I'll bottom out on steep inclines. I do already have a hitch with a 2" ball and the perfect drop height that should work, but it's not a WDH. Can anyone share their experiences or opinion as to whether a WDH is necessary for this TV and trailer combo? Thanks so much for your input.
I also tow a 21' with a 2015 Silverado. When working on our build sheet I asked Reace about it he said you will definitely want a WDH, although with a 21' any sway control is not so important as with a 19' because of the design. We went with the Fastway E2 and it is a nice smooth ride, but I haven't tried it without a WDH. My co-pilot says she does not care for bumpy or jerky rides so much.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've towed a E21 with both a Tacoma 4x4 (equipped with airbags) and a 2002 F250, without any WDH, and don't really see the point. The F250 recommends using a WDH with trailers above 6500 lbs GWR. I also didn't bother with sway control on either of these setups as there was no way I could make it even hint at sway.

I definitely needed a WDH with the Tacoma before I put in the airbags, however, as it was pitchy as heck.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Agree that sway is a rare issue with Escaape trailers which is why to me the standard WDH hitch ETI sells is more than adequate and is much simpler to use.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
Hi Everyone!

Hi: AnJ... If you're coming all the way from Abbotsford and ETI can't sort out your hitch situation, there's always TradeMasters down the street. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Thanks so much for your replies! It looks like we will try to make our WDH work, or buy a new one. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
I also tow a 21' with a 2015 Silverado. When working on our build sheet I asked Reace about it he said you will definitely want a WDH, although with a 21' any sway control is not so important as with a 19' because of the design.
Any idea what design parameters make the '21 less sensitive to sway than the '19? Interesting.

We towed our '19 with a Nissan XTerra for years. We used a WDH and all was fine for thousands of miles. We scared ourselves once with sway. Our solution was to get a RAM 2500 for a better TV and more storage. Moved the WDH over to the RAM but I don't think it does much. Now we forget we have the '19 behind us until we look in the rear view mirror. Don't even slow down going up hills.

Doesn't help you much as the '21 is bigger than the '19 and our RAM is bigger than your Silverado. But yours should be a very nice combination.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I have a 2014 Silverado and 21' and use a Reese weight distributing hitch with built-in sway control. I like it because it keeps the truck level. I also like the belt and suspenders safety factor. The setup has performed well with some close to emergency maneuvers pulling the trailer.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Any idea what design parameters make the '21 less sensitive to sway than the '19? Interesting.

We towed our '19 with a Nissan XTerra for years. We used a WDH and all was fine for thousands of miles. We scared ourselves once with sway. Our solution was to get a RAM 2500 for a better TV and more storage. Moved the WDH over to the RAM but I don't think it does much. Now we forget we have the '19 behind us until we look in the rear view mirror. Don't even slow down going up hills.

Doesn't help you much as the '21 is bigger than the '19 and our RAM is bigger than your Silverado. But yours should be a very nice combination.
My recollection is this- Reace said that by its design it was very easy to have adequate tongue weight (10-15%) on the 21', but more likely to have inadequate tongue weight on the 19' so have to be more careful about how the 19' is loaded.

I will add that the very level tow and motion dampening effects of the WDH make for a smoother ride.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote