Weight Bearing Hitch; Lesson Learned and a Question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2019, 08:07 AM   #21

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Thanks to all, particularly the videos. It is all very helpful.

I have not decided whether or not to do it myself, need to find a large torque wrench first. It is enough of a precision task that it may be best to have it done professionally. I had no idea it was as complicated as it is.

One thing for sure, the hitch is not presently adjusted for my truck and must be changed. With the information from this post it is obvious that the hitch is tilted back too much, which results in the bars pointing toward the ground and not parallel to the trailer chassis. This puts the end too close to the ground and is the reason one of them hit the street in the dip.

Another lesson learned: Just because a WBH works on one vehicle does not mean it will on a different vehicle without being readjusted.

The Escape Forum once again solves a problem which will result in trailer-truck operation more safely for all!
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #22

(Mods): I think I should have put this under Towing and Hitches. I did not realize the direction it would take.

Do you want to move it with a link?
Old 08-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You need to stop using "WBH" or you will be misunderstood. It is a Weight Distributing Hitch "WDH".
Old 08-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Mike,
Keep in mind that, until you configure/adjust your WDH, it is certainly possible to tow your Escape 17B without a WDH, using only a regular ball mount.
We have a 17A that we have towed with our Honda Pilot for 4 years and thousands of miles, with no problems whatsoever.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Mike,
Keep in mind that, until you configure/adjust your WDH, it is certainly possible to tow your Escape 17B without a WDH, using only a regular ball mount.
We have a 17A that we have towed with our Honda Pilot for 4 years and thousands of miles, with no problems whatsoever.

I tried that for a short distance and experienced a pronounced pitching. May have been to the hitch orientation, but went away when I put the spring bars on the WDH. A 17B should not require a WDH. Maybe I will try it again when the hitch is properly adjusted.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
A 17B should not require a WDH. Maybe I will try it again when the hitch is properly adjusted.

I've towed a short distance without WDH and found the ride and security when using WDH is well worth the effort to install it. This is especially true when having to make abrupt lane changes to avoid objects or other vehicles.
It also levels the trailer and tow.
Attached Thumbnails
NO WDH1.jpg   With WDH1.jpg  
Old 08-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #27

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 behind a 2014 Chev Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here is the link LIJMichael tried to post for the Fastway E2
Thanks Jim, I tried several times but the only thing that would show would be a div marker.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:13 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
I have not decided whether or not to do it myself, need to find a large torque wrench first. It is enough of a precision task that it may be best to have it done professionally. I had no idea it was as complicated as it is.
It's actually not very complicated, but it can be real work and will take some time for trial-and-error. You need only two wrenches to loosen those big bolts and nuts, one of those wrenches and a torque wrench for final tightening, and a tape measure. The procedure is fundamentally the same for almost any WDH with chains.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #29

Hauled the Errant Escape down to the Harbor Freight parking lot (just in case!) to find a level place to check out the WDH settings. Once I moved the hitch ball back to vertical I found that the rest of the hitch was fine. I expect this was due to it being a used hitch, not needing initial setup. I was glad I did not have to buy a breaker bar, deep socket and 400lb/ft torque wrench.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.