Weight distribution hitch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Thank you! The Husky looks nice with several small improvements in design over the Equalizer and E2.
I agree, I'm going to tow home without one but perhaps purchase this when I get home and install if I feel it is needed.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
So, what I am gathering, before the discussion turned into the differences between different WDH systems, is that Escapes tow very well, and I would be just fine without a WDH behind my F150. But, it will tow like a dream with one (assuming one dreams of towing). I think I will hold onto mine. Or, should I buy a lighter-duty one with the new Escape. Hmm... So many decisions to make. How do I apply the KISS (keep it simple stupid) philosophy here?
mconrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrath View Post
So, what I am gathering, before the discussion turned into the differences between different WDH systems, is that Escapes tow very well, and I would be just fine without a WDH behind my F150. But, it will tow like a dream with one (assuming one dreams of towing). I think I will hold onto mine. Or, should I buy a lighter-duty one with the new Escape. Hmm... So many decisions to make. How do I apply the KISS (keep it simple stupid) philosophy here?
WDH's are rated by the tongue weight the bars are designed for. If your existing WDH is rated for 400-600 tongue weight - it will work with the new trailer. If it is rated for a higher tongue weight, let it go.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:44 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I think it is rated for 1000 lbs. Pretty heavy-duty.
Thank you for the very specific advice.
mconrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #25

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
I have had two Ridgelines, a 2008 and a 2017, both were excellent vehicles. I recently sold my 2017 to my sister who wanted it, we upgraded to a new 2019 Ram 1500 because we are thinking of moving up in trailer size. I never used a WDH on the Ridgeline with the Casita, it just wasn't needed, the trailer and vehicle handled flawlessly. Now would the Ridgeline handle the Escape Elite II without the WDH, this would have to be road tested to make this decision. The Escape is at the top of the Ridgelines towing range and there is no room for anything else, this is why we change our tow vehicle to handle a heavier trailer. Most weight I ever pulled with the Ridgeline is a car hauler trailer with two side by sides on it, much heavier then a travel trailer. All being said you will probably need to up the tow vehicle to one with a much higher GVWR for safety and pulling without a WDH, that's what I did.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I have had two Ridgelines, a 2008 and a 2017, both were excellent vehicles. I recently sold my 2017 to my sister who wanted it, we upgraded to a new 2019 Ram 1500 because we are thinking of moving up in trailer size. I never used a WDH on the Ridgeline with the Casita, it just wasn't needed, the trailer and vehicle handled flawlessly. Now would the Ridgeline handle the Escape Elite II without the WDH, this would have to be road tested to make this decision. The Escape is at the top of the Ridgelines towing range and there is no room for anything else, this is why we change our tow vehicle to handle a heavier trailer. Most weight I ever pulled with the Ridgeline is a car hauler trailer with two side by sides on it, much heavier then a travel trailer. All being said you will probably need to up the tow vehicle to one with a much higher GVWR for safety and pulling without a WDH, that's what I did.

trainman
I am confused by this. What is the Escape Elite II?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #27

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I am confused by this. What is the Escape Elite II?
Sorry for the confusion, the original poster said he was picking up his Escape 21', I did get it mixed up with the Oliver Elite II 23'. Both trailers are pretty much the same weight and size, I had Oliver on my mind.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I’m towing a 17 w a Highlander v6. I previously towed a lighter aframe trailer with same vehicle. The wdh really makes a difference. the heavier escape is not noticeable at all.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Sorry for the confusion, the original poster said he was picking up his Escape 21', I did get it mixed up with the Oliver Elite II 23'. Both trailers are pretty much the same weight and size, I had Oliver on my mind.

trainman
Actually, the Oliver is a lot heavier than the E21, It's GVWR is 7,000# or 2000# more than the E21. In size it's 2' longer. Empty weight, the Oliver is already 1400# heavier. The Oliver is a double hulled trailer, so naturally it will be heavier.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 escape 21’
Wdh Honda Ridgeline 2014

Thank you one and all,
The response regarding a wdh on our 2014 Honda Ridgeline with our new 2018 21’ escape was very much appreciated. Prior to our new Escape we had a 1995 Scamp for five years. Loved that little trailer. My wife (Becky)and I created lots of wonderful memories in that trailer.. It did not take long for us to realize that the Honda was not going to be up for the task of towing the new Escape. We have upgraded to a 2008 Dodge 2500 3/4 ton with a 6.7 diesel. One extreme to the other. We now feel extremely safe and confident towing without the need of a wdh. Thank you all for your response regarding the wdh questions. Sincerely the G&B team.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote