Weight from the Factory - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Of the many things I love about our 17B (and probably every other Escape), one is the careful thought Reace put into weight distribution. With our side dinette 16 Scamp one side always ended up quite a bit heavier than the other just due to the design and I was always worried about overloading those 13" tires. Also, the wheels were closer to the midpoint which meant I was constantly concerned with tongue weight getting too light if we loaded poorly. With the wheel further back on the 17B, every time I have checked tongue weight it has been plenty heavy. Now I have gotten lazy (and probably too complacent) about it and rarely worry about it. With the WDH on it honestly feels like the Tacoma and the trailer are one unit when driving it - I've never felt even a hint of sway.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This is great info! Thanks to all who have shared their GVWR and Cargo Carrying Capacity information.

The calculations can be based on an expected weight instead of an actually measured one, as long as whether or not options are included is explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
According to my labels (if I am thinking correctly this morning) my empty weight should be 1027 kg or 2,264 lbs
1590kg GVWR minus 441kg Carry Capacity and minus the stated weight of fresh water in fresh tank and water heater of 122kg?
Yes, that's how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
The GVWR is 1818 Kg or 4008 Lbs.
The Cargo carrying capacity is 336 Kg. or 740 Lbs.

IF the spec sheet is correct, the weight of this trailer is 3268 Lbs. If the aprox total dry weight on the Escape TT website (2510 Lbs.)is correct the weight of the options is 758 Lbs.
Close - the Cargo Carrying Capacity is calculated with full water (not dry) just as Eric showed above, so the trailer is 3268 pounds wet (with full water tank and water heater). Since the spec sheet shows dry weight, that 758 pounds is options plus the water.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
In a previous thread, discussions on our "real" world weights of our 15B were included. The dry weight listed is also with standard equipment only, what Escape lists on their website as standard. The A/C adds weight, as does a front box, dual batteries, extra shelves, more seating etc. This is why our 15B wet weighs in at 2,800 pounds when the "dry" weight is listed at 1,740 but we added air, front box, dual batteries a dual water heater a three burner stove and a stainless sink. These all added to the final weight.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #24

Trailer: No trailer
Donna, the "naked" weight of our 19 was 3130 lbs which included dual 6v batteries, AC, thermal windows, and insulation package,
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Another "real weight" - my 17B lists dry weight as 2100 lbs. Actual weight packed for a year long trip (yes, I'm retired!) was 3020 lbs and a tongue weight of 349 lbs (and i had to do quite a bit of moving of stuff to get the tongue weight down, even with a pair of 6 volt batteries on the back).

And completely off the thread - Cedar Point NF Campground in NC is well worth a stop!
Old 10-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #26

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
new trailer weights

We picked up our new 21 last week and I asked about the posted weight and if the trailer was weighed. Response was that the basic trailer weight was known and then the extra items weight was known and the form was adjusted to reflect the extras plus the basic. Since I'm a retired airline pilot and mechanic I NEED to know exact numbers. On the way through Oregon I stopped at a closed weigh station and checked the numbers as we have it loaded for a two week trip in all weather areas, except snow.
The results without disconnecting the tow vehicle that weighs 5300# and has 7500+# of tongue weight allowed.
TV 6000#
total axle weights 3600#
left axles 1800#
right axles 1800#
Looks like our almost full 21 total 4200#

We took the Anderson hitch to give it a try as we are tired of the squeaking noise of the bars, I can not say enough about the hitch now, It is quiet and we had 25 to 30 knot x-wind on a rough two lane road and the trailer just set back there.
Jack of Tucson
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Jack, what is your overall impression of the bed. The size of the 21 bed is my main concern with that trailer. Aside from that issue, its a beautiful trailer.

Thanks,
Mike
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
21 weight and bed

I purchased a Sherline tongue weight scale for what I hoped would be a precise tongue weight measurement. So far the scale is too inconsistent to believe what it says. It fluctuates between 440lbs and 520lbs. I've got an email into the manufacturer and hope to hear back soon. I tried stopping at a truck scale on the way home from delivery but, even though there were no trucks in line, they wouldn't turn on the scales for me. Striking out so far. I'm really need to know these measurements because I'm towing with a Honda Ridgeline and want to be safe about it.

We were also concerned about the bed size in the 21. It's about the same width as the one in our 17' Casita that we were cramped in. This one however is great. We're very comfortable, don't feel cramped, and it's nice to exit the bed at the end. As a bonus, it's much easier to make than the one in the Casita. We're use to a King size bed, so this was a real pleasant surprise.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #29

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I tried stopping at a truck scale on the way home from delivery but, even though there were no trucks in line, they wouldn't turn on the scales for me. .
If you can locate a truck stop like Flying J or something similar they are usually happy to do the weights...there will be a charge...ours was $10 for the first weight and $2 for the second time around.
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I tried stopping at a truck scale on the way home from delivery but, even though there were no trucks in line, they wouldn't turn on the scales for me. Striking out so far. I'm really need to know these measurements because I'm towing with a Honda Ridgeline and want to be safe about it.
Hi Tom,
Here is a list of scale houses in Washington:
State of Washington Weigh Station Page

I'm lucky to have one near my home (scalehouse number 37 according to the website). I only ever see it used by people like us weighing their trailers and truck campers.
At number 37 there is no attendant, you pull on to the scales and get out to look at the readout thru the window. I usually chock the wheels and unhitch to get the total weight and have never been rushed or even seen any commercial users.

paulw is offline   Reply With Quote