Weight from the Factory - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Of the many things I love about our 17B (and probably every other Escape), one is the careful thought Reace put into weight distribution. With our side dinette 16 Scamp one side always ended up quite a bit heavier than the other just due to the design and I was always worried about overloading those 13" tires. Also, the wheels were closer to the midpoint which meant I was constantly concerned with tongue weight getting too light if we loaded poorly. With the wheel further back on the 17B, every time I have checked tongue weight it has been plenty heavy. Now I have gotten lazy (and probably too complacent) about it and rarely worry about it. With the WDH on it honestly feels like the Tacoma and the trailer are one unit when driving it - I've never felt even a hint of sway.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This is great info! Thanks to all who have shared their GVWR and Cargo Carrying Capacity information.

The calculations can be based on an expected weight instead of an actually measured one, as long as whether or not options are included is explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
According to my labels (if I am thinking correctly this morning) my empty weight should be 1027 kg or 2,264 lbs
1590kg GVWR minus 441kg Carry Capacity and minus the stated weight of fresh water in fresh tank and water heater of 122kg?
Yes, that's how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
The GVWR is 1818 Kg or 4008 Lbs.
The Cargo carrying capacity is 336 Kg. or 740 Lbs.

IF the spec sheet is correct, the weight of this trailer is 3268 Lbs. If the aprox total dry weight on the Escape TT website (2510 Lbs.)is correct the weight of the options is 758 Lbs.
Close - the Cargo Carrying Capacity is calculated with full water (not dry) just as Eric showed above, so the trailer is 3268 pounds wet (with full water tank and water heater). Since the spec sheet shows dry weight, that 758 pounds is options plus the water.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
In a previous thread, discussions on our "real" world weights of our 15B were included. The dry weight listed is also with standard equipment only, what Escape lists on their website as standard. The A/C adds weight, as does a front box, dual batteries, extra shelves, more seating etc. This is why our 15B wet weighs in at 2,800 pounds when the "dry" weight is listed at 1,740 but we added air, front box, dual batteries a dual water heater a three burner stove and a stainless sink. These all added to the final weight.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #24

Trailer: No trailer
Donna, the "naked" weight of our 19 was 3130 lbs which included dual 6v batteries, AC, thermal windows, and insulation package,
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Another "real weight" - my 17B lists dry weight as 2100 lbs. Actual weight packed for a year long trip (yes, I'm retired!) was 3020 lbs and a tongue weight of 349 lbs (and i had to do quite a bit of moving of stuff to get the tongue weight down, even with a pair of 6 volt batteries on the back).

And completely off the thread - Cedar Point NF Campground in NC is well worth a stop!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #26

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
new trailer weights

We picked up our new 21 last week and I asked about the posted weight and if the trailer was weighed. Response was that the basic trailer weight was known and then the extra items weight was known and the form was adjusted to reflect the extras plus the basic. Since I'm a retired airline pilot and mechanic I NEED to know exact numbers. On the way through Oregon I stopped at a closed weigh station and checked the numbers as we have it loaded for a two week trip in all weather areas, except snow.
The results without disconnecting the tow vehicle that weighs 5300# and has 7500+# of tongue weight allowed.
TV 6000#
total axle weights 3600#
left axles 1800#
right axles 1800#
Looks like our almost full 21 total 4200#

We took the Anderson hitch to give it a try as we are tired of the squeaking noise of the bars, I can not say enough about the hitch now, It is quiet and we had 25 to 30 knot x-wind on a rough two lane road and the trailer just set back there.
Jack of Tucson
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Jack, what is your overall impression of the bed. The size of the 21 bed is my main concern with that trailer. Aside from that issue, its a beautiful trailer.

Thanks,
Mike
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
21 weight and bed

I purchased a Sherline tongue weight scale for what I hoped would be a precise tongue weight measurement. So far the scale is too inconsistent to believe what it says. It fluctuates between 440lbs and 520lbs. I've got an email into the manufacturer and hope to hear back soon. I tried stopping at a truck scale on the way home from delivery but, even though there were no trucks in line, they wouldn't turn on the scales for me. Striking out so far. I'm really need to know these measurements because I'm towing with a Honda Ridgeline and want to be safe about it.

We were also concerned about the bed size in the 21. It's about the same width as the one in our 17' Casita that we were cramped in. This one however is great. We're very comfortable, don't feel cramped, and it's nice to exit the bed at the end. As a bonus, it's much easier to make than the one in the Casita. We're use to a King size bed, so this was a real pleasant surprise.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #29

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I tried stopping at a truck scale on the way home from delivery but, even though there were no trucks in line, they wouldn't turn on the scales for me. .
If you can locate a truck stop like Flying J or something similar they are usually happy to do the weights...there will be a charge...ours was $10 for the first weight and $2 for the second time around.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #30

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I tried stopping at a truck scale on the way home from delivery but, even though there were no trucks in line, they wouldn't turn on the scales for me. Striking out so far. I'm really need to know these measurements because I'm towing with a Honda Ridgeline and want to be safe about it.
Hi Tom,
Here is a list of scale houses in Washington:
State of Washington Weigh Station Page

I'm lucky to have one near my home (scalehouse number 37 according to the website). I only ever see it used by people like us weighing their trailers and truck campers.
At number 37 there is no attendant, you pull on to the scales and get out to look at the readout thru the window. I usually chock the wheels and unhitch to get the total weight and have never been rushed or even seen any commercial users.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #31

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Donna, the "naked" weight of our 19 was 3130 lbs which included dual 6v batteries, AC, thermal windows, and insulation package,
Hi Mike M.,

Sorry, I don't know exactly what "naked" weight means? Is it with all tanks full (propane, black, grey, fresh), but no personal cargo on board (pots, pans, clothes, etc.)?

Thanks. J
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #32

Trailer: No trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Hi Mike M.,

Sorry, I don't know exactly what "naked" weight means? Is it with all tanks full (propane, black, grey, fresh), but no personal cargo on board (pots, pans, clothes, etc.)?

Thanks. J
It's the weight of the trailer as it came from the factory. We had absolutely none of our stuff in the trailer. The propane tanks were full but all of the holding tanks were empty. The trailer options (including full propane tanks) added about 600 lbs to the advertised dry weight of the trailer.
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #33

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
It's the weight of the trailer as it came from the factory. We had absolutely none of our stuff in the trailer. The propane tanks were full but all of the holding tanks were empty. The trailer options (including full propane tanks) added about 600 lbs to the advertised dry weight of the trailer.

Thanks very much for taking time to reply Mike.

Hopefully someone out there can double check my math for me - I'm just trying to figure things out because I've been reading about ensuring the trailer and tow vehicles are properly loaded:

If the 3 tanks are more or less full, that'll add something like 600 lbs to Mike's awesomely accessorized 19', leaving 270 lbs for personal gear, dog food, etc.?

270 lbs doesn't seem like a lot, but I suppose it probably is? And I suppose all 3 tanks are not usually full at the same time? j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
...And I suppose all 3 tanks are not usually full at the same time? j
You would usually empty the freshwater tank as the black and grey are being filled. Thus for a likely worst case, I would assume that the grey and black could be filled, with the fresh tank empty.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
You would usually empty the freshwater tank as the black and grey are being filled. Thus for a likely worst case, I would assume that the grey and black could be filled, with the fresh tank empty.
Exactly, almost. Your use of the fresh tank should fill either the black or gray, but not both. If you have fresh water and not using the fresh tank, then more than likely you will also have dump facilities. On the norm, I carry 10 gal in fresh to use while enroute. If boon docking, then the fresh is full.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Scale use

Thanks Paul for the information. My wife was just thinking today that there must be a list. Do you know what the rules are? In our travels through other states there were many that posted signs for trucks only, NO RVs. I haven't seen that here, but the operator, even though the display was lit, wouldn't allow the scale to take the measurement. Maybe he was having a bad day??
Thanks again Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #37

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Tom, You'll probably want to recon the scale before you take the trailer there.
The one by me is one of the old, small white buildings that is not staffed - strictly self serve. I'd say it's a relic of the days when logging trucks were common along hwy 9. The state evidently decided to leave it operational for my convenience when they improved the highway recently
I've seen several others along the highways in Washington and Oregon.
If you want a certificate for some reason, you'll need to go to a pay scale.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
In Oregon, most of the scales are managed by ODOT (Oregon Department of Transportation), hence they're paid for by Oregon tax dollars and left "open." Only privately owned scales, TA truck stop, etc. have I seen where they restrict to trucks only. But in Oregon you get what you pay for... and FREE scales aren't certified.

I can also weigh my trailer at gravel yards and debris yards (for $) and they give me a certified weight certificate.

The free ones are for my own amusement...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Tom, public scales are often for commercial trucks only. It is at the discretion of the operator as to whether you can use one. Likely not.

As for a Sherline, you should not get a variation like that unless you have changed the height quite a bit. An inch one way or the other means many pounds difference. Re-weighs have to be taken very carefully in exactly the same place which is as close to level as possible. The idea with hitching is to be level but of course that can be off a little.

So at a truck scale, there could easily be a variation from the Sherline because you are probably not exactly level. Also, the truck scale is measuring so many thousands for large trucks and when you get down to the tiny kind of tongue weights we have, can't expect the tongue weights to match up. They wouldn't be nearly as far off as the variation you have with your Sherline though!

Your wildly different weights probably are not the Sherline but how you used the scale. You might try some more weighings. Then again, not impossible that the scale was somehow damaged in shipping.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #40

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
The normal industry practice, used to establish the Cargo Carrying Capacity posted on an Escape (as on other RVs), follows this logic, but allowing for full fresh water and empty waste tanks. I believe the idea is that at the beginning of a leg of a trip you fill the fresh tank, then that same water moves to the waste tanks (in whatever proportion), but it all comes from the fresh tank so its volume is the controlling factor.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote