Weight of 19 Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Weight of 19 Escape

Has anyone weighed the 19 with the add ons. We will have 4 reinforced walls, 2 batteries, the storage box, air conditioner, and solar panel. Not sure how much weight that will add. Also, are the 2 batteries in the storage box in the front? How much will that add to tongue weight?
Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
ETI can give you this info. Their computer program just adds your extra's, and boom: you get the right accurate weight.
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
There's a list over on the Fiberglass Forum that has a number of 19's on it, they go from a low of 3130 (2670/460) to 3980 (3740/240), Axles/Tongue, with a number of them falling in between those extremes.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
Has anyone weighed the 19 with the add ons. We will have 4 reinforced walls, 2 batteries, the storage box, air conditioner, and solar panel. Not sure how much weight that will add. Also, are the 2 batteries in the storage box in the front? How much will that add to tongue weight?
The tongue weight will depend upon how you load. You can balance the weight whichever direction you need, up to a point anyway.

The 19' with such options is likely to be at least 3000 lbs.

You will be given your weight by Escape including options.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It's too bad that the weight of each option isn't listed on the website, just as the price is. Ideally, it would list both axle weight addition and tongue weight addition, since that is trivial to calculate with the location of each option known.

The batteries (single or dual) are on the tongue of a 19', immediately in front of the body. If you get the optional storage box they are in that box; otherwise, they are in plastic battery boxes in the same place.

Even without an official list, that's not a lot of options, so the information is reasonably available:
  • 4 reinforced walls
    isn't the Escape number about 25 pounds each?
    spread around the trailer, so 12% on the hitch
  • 2 batteries
    add about 70 pounds,
    75% of that on the hitch
  • storage box
    according a recent discussion, about 40 pounds,
    about 75% of that on the hitch
  • air conditioner
    option list says 11,000 BTU/hr and shows a Dometic Penguin; although the Dometic website says the Penguin only comes in 13,500 BTU/hr, the weight must be similar, at about 104 pounds
    (none of that on the tongue).
  • solar panel
    remember the brackets, wiring, and controller
    someone must have this number handy
So, maybe 400 pounds (about 100 pounds on the tongue) in addition to the base dry spec weight of 2610 (256 of that on the tongue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
The 19' with such options is likely to be at least 3000 lbs.
I agree. And that's dry (no water or propane) and empty (none of your stuff, just as it rolls out of the factory).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
There's a list over on the Fiberglass Forum that has a number of 19's on it...
Those weights are loaded for travel, so they include everything the owners are carrying with them, and could have anything from empty tanks to full. Options are unknown. They give you a reasonable idea of about how much your trailer might weigh when you hit the road, so they're great as a reality check for people planning a tow vehicle, but they give you no idea of where your planned options will place your empty starting point.

If you were to pick every option and load up your cast-iron cookware collection, you can certainly go higher than the highest which happens to have been caught in this list. If you don't carry much stuff, you could be lower than than any of them (or any which are similarly equipped). Remember that there are handful of Escape 19's in that list, mostly ones that appeared one geographic area, of the hundreds built.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #7

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The batteries (single or dual) are on the tongue of a 19', immediately in front of the body. If you get the optional storage box they are in that box; otherwise, they are in plastic battery boxes in the same place.
Brian, if the 19ft dual batteries are placed inside the optional storage box, couldn't one or two 20 lb propane tank(s) sit in the box as the batteries are inside under the dinette bench ? Will they fit ?
Old 06-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just got home from Osoyoos and environs.
It's hot and I'm worn from unpacking all the stuff we took with us on this trip.
It feels like it weighs a ton.
Trailer is going on a diet. First out will be the TV, DVD player and DVDs that we've dragged with us for years and never used.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Brian, if the 19ft dual batteries are placed inside the optional storage box, couldn't one or two 20 lb propane tank(s) sit in the box as the batteries are inside under the dinette bench ? Will they fit ?
Propane tanks inside a box is a no/no without proper ventilation and the box is not wide enough for a 20 lb tank at the bottom and not tall enough if you put a floor inside at the widest part.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
What do you call a box with propane tanks inside? a bomb

It can be done but there has to be a low point drain in case of a leak. In boats the propane locker is sealed at the lid but a drain is installed in the floor of the locker.

On my Scamp I made a tongue box that contained 2 batteries and a propane tank but it was very well ventilated.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
I assume that you are asking if the propane tanks can be in the storage box of your 21' since in that model (and every model of Escape other than the 19') the batteries are elsewhere.

Yes, other than the fit problems which Jim described. It would be an improvement for tongue weight, turning clearance, and propane tank protection, but the box is sort of shoehorned into the space available between the body and the stock propane tank location, so I'm not surprised that the stock propane tanks won't fit.

Of course ventilation is required, but this is not a problem. Every motorhome, almost every slide-in truck camper, and the vast majority of fifth-wheel trailers (including the Escape 5.0 and 5.0TA) have propane tanks in compartments; in many cases, there is no floor in the compartment, and there is always some upper ventilation as well. Separation from electrical hardware is also obviously wise.

Also, compartments containing propane tanks are not locked (typically do not have locks installed), apparently to ensure access in case of an emergency. This is a good reason not to combine a propane compartment with other storage, since the other stuff would then not be locked.

You could put a differently sized and shaped propane tank in the Escape storage box. I suspect that a forklift cylinder might fit, but that would be a more major project and access would be awkward. A couple of 11-pound cylinders would probably fit, but they're expensive, have only 55% of the capacity of the stock tanks, and they can't be exchanged for full (if you ever want or need to use one of the ripoff tank exchange services ).

You could certainly make (or have made) a custom tongue-mounted box which extends further forward on the tongue and nicely fits a pair of 20-pound propane tanks, with the tanks against the back of the box.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #12

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Good advice from both of you.
Was wondering why its not common practice.
Thank you.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Propane lock

One of the not so funny tricks that the local kids like to play is to wait till a 20 below zero night , and then turn off the propane running to people's cabins . My neighbor thinking he would out smart the kids, put a lock on the valve cover of the tank. Unfortunately , when the propane guy came to fill the tank one winter's day it was locked ,so he left without filling the tank . I'll let you figure out what happened.
Sometimes you just can't win !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I'm not home from the rally yet but will be in about an hour. I'll look up the post I sent to Jon and post it. On Jon Vermilye's trailer weights in the real
World our Escape is the second or third heaviest one. Works for us with the Highlander. Essentials are essentials. 2'cases of beer,'case of water and two cases of pop. 4 bottles of syrup, etc. Got that nice all purpose screwdriver at the rally so might take a couple out,
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:17 AM   #15

Our 19' loaded for a long 4 week trip comes in at about 3800# with a tongue weight of 440#. We have dual 6 volt batteries, front storage box, and an air conditioner. Food, beverages, and other camping stuff make up the rest. Each trip is different as we load up items we require for that trip.
Mountain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:23 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Essentials are essentials. 2'cases of beer,'case of water and two cases of pop. 4 bottles of syrup, etc.
Dave
Always nice to see a guy that's got his priorities sorted out.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:54 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Always nice to see a guy that's got his priorities sorted out.

Ron
Hi: Ron in BC... Iowa Dave forgot to list 2lbs. of thick cut bacon also. Alf p.s. This is what ya'll can do with last nights campfire. Stir it up...and wait for the "Sizzle".
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1010499.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #18

I promised to post our weights once I got home. Me about 310, Rita classified. Now for real.
On May 4 I loaded the trailer (2010 19)and 2012 Highlander like we do when we're ready to head out for a rally. I went to the quarry and weighed the whole modern combination. 8,860 lbs. Then I unhitched and weighed just the loaded Highlander. Once home I disconnected and checked the tongue weight at dead level which is where I tow.
Here's the numbers
Highlander 5180lbs.
2 passengers 40 lb. Brittany and kennel.
Weber Q and accessories
Cooler with 48 1/2 liter bottles of
Water and 2 lbs Slab Bacon
1 case beer ( all I had at the minute)
Misc blankets, first Aid Kit etc

Escape 19
3680 lbs.
Solar, AC, WDH hooked up
dual Sixes in front box
16 gallons of water.
Propane full ( two tanks)
Grey and black empty
Also in front box X chocks, 8 ft of 2X6, chocks, misc set up gear 2 spare 1 lb propane

Tongue weight 450 lbs
That's the way it is and that's the way it will stay. 6,000 miles last three weeks, no sway no porpoising Tire pressure. 48 PSI
Hope this helps. I usually drive about 62 mph but creep up a little on the flats.
IOWA Dave
Old 06-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Very similar numbers to ours Dave. We were a little heavier this morning because the fresh water tank hadn't had a drop in it until today - didn't boondock until now. There was no difference in how it felt towing, despite the additional 225 lbs from the full tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #20

Robert,
I wouldn't have guessed you at 310. You'd be a cinch to win at the carnival.
Dave