Weight of a 21 - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #71

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Truck scales being off 20 lbs. or getting somewhat different weights is no problem. A tongue weight of 10-15% is needed. On a load of 3500 lbs, for instance, that leaves plenty of leeway. No problem whatsoever in seeing that you have proper tongue weight.

Why don't we give repeat weighings? Because we get exactly the same thing over and over. The scale works great. If we ever get a difference, it's a very large one where we have obviously done something wrong, which is the case here as far as I see. We then look at it and figure out the mistake and do it again a few times. At this point though, we expect to get it right the first time.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #72

Morning all on the way home from Chilliwack we stopped on a scale to check our weights and found the following
-truck alone 4960lb
-truck hooked up 5290lb
-trailer hooked up 3170lb
-hitch weight would then be 330lb
These measurements are with a pretty empty trailer a porta potti , suitcase , n some snacks and a flat of water , we use a tacoma double cab 4x4 with timbren overloaders and no wdh hitch hope this helps , cheers mike

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #73
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Those numbers are real close to the factory spec's, Stoney. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
Morning all on the way home from Chilliwack we stopped on a scale to check our weights and found the following
-truck alone 4960lb
-truck hooked up 5290lb
-trailer hooked up 3170lb
-hitch weight would then be 330lb
These measurements are with a pretty empty trailer a porta potti , suitcase , n some snacks and a flat of water , we use a tacoma double cab 4x4 with timbren overloaders and no wdh hitch hope this helps , cheers mike

It does! Thanks Mike...
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #75

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Truck scales being off 20 lbs. or getting somewhat different weights is no problem. A tongue weight of 10-15% is needed. On a load of 3500 lbs, for instance, that leaves plenty of leeway. No problem whatsoever in seeing that you have proper tongue weight.
I agree that truck scales are close enough if you only want to ensure about 10-15% tongue weight.

My comments about truck scales were unrelated to that: my point was that they are not precise or accurate enough to be of any value in assessing the performance of a tongue weight scale such as the Sherline; maybe I wasn't clear when I said this "Matching pretty closely to a number which can easily be out by 20 pounds gives only a rough indication that the tongue weight scale is working, not its accuracy or its repeatability."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Why don't we give repeat weighings? Because we get exactly the same thing over and over. The scale works great. If we ever get a difference, it's a very large one where we have obviously done something wrong...
Excellent - reading the same to the pound every time; that's exceptional for any scale. I don't think anyone else experiences that performance with any scale, but I'm glad this one is perfect.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #76

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Sherline scale

I’ve been testing the Sherline in a lab atmosphere, (controlled environment with known uncertainties) with some interesting results. I shared the results with sherline and here is their first answer:

Tom,
I forwarded your e-mail to our General Manger and she sent it on to Ashcroft, our gauge supplier, for their response. Ashcroft specifications for the gauge are 2% at mid-range and 3% at the extremes. This means it could be as much as 30 pounds off at 100 and 900 pounds and be within the acceptable range. They do make a 1% gauge (2% at extremes) but that one is quite a bit more expensive and we never considered the small difference significant when it comes to determining safe trailer loading.

Generally, a scale like this is used to determine gross misloading or exceeding a certain maximum, so a difference of 20 or even 60 or 80 pounds is not usually critical to overall trailer performance or safety, although it is certainly desireable to be as accurate as possible.

I will let you know what the gauge people say, as that is really the only "calibrateable" part of the system. The piston surface is 1 square inch exactly. The only variables other than that are piston alignment, friction with the O-ring and the cylinder face and potential for air in the system.
In any case, if the scale will not be accurate enough for your purpose, we will be glad to refund your purchase price.
Sincerely Yours,
Craig Libuse

As you can see, they’re concerned about their product, although I don’t understand being 60 or 80 lb off not being a problem, and are willing to back it up with a refund.

I then sent them the following set of data: (had to abbreviate because it didn't post well)
All deviations from the nominal were positive, all were at the edge of, but in tolerance, and the deviation from min to max of the 5 readings were in tolerance.

The offsets I'll be applying to this gauge are as follows: 300lb -20, 400lb -20, 500lb -20, 600lb -25, 700lb -25, 800lb -25, and 900lb -30.

From Sherline:
Tom,
Very thorough testing. The Ashcroft rep did call back and noted as you did that the gauge did register within tollerance limits. He did offer the 1% gauge for our use, but it would cost us 4x as much, and we don't feel these differences are significant as far as whether the readings are safe for towing. An estimating scale's job is to descriminate loads that are dangerous vs. ones that are safe. We've tried to combine a sturdy scale with a gauge that gives you enough information to be safe out on the highway. I see that Northern now offers an 1100 lb electronic scale for $99 that reads in tenths of a pound. The advantage of using the hydraulic method is that we can go up to 5000 lb readings by just changing gauges.
Stay safe.
Craig

I think I have enough data on this particular scale to comfortably apply known offsets (noted above). The measurement environment in the field is sure to contribute more to inaccuracies then the scale itself. So that’s all I have on this subject. Hope this helps in some way?

Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #77

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Good info. So I looked up the Northern scale. Only one I could find is a "hanging" scale, which wouldn't be very convenient.
I did change the gauge on my Sherline from 2,000 lb to 1,000 lb capacity to keep my target weight ( 320 lbs. ) closer to the middle.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #78

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
So I hear that as: not as accurate as we'd like, but maybe good enough...

Good enough for me, I think.

Tom: thanks for the thorough work.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #79

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
"The offsets I'll be applying to this gauge are as follows: 300lb -20, 400lb -20, 500lb -20, 600lb -25, 700lb -25, 800lb -25, and 900lb -30."

Tom,
Can you clarify a couple things? I think much earlier in this thread you said you had a 1,000 lb. gauge. Is that correct?
You say 300lb - 20. Does that mean the actual weight is 280? or 320?

baglo

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #80

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Good info. So I looked up the Northern scale. Only one I could find is a "hanging" scale, which wouldn't be very convenient.
I did change the gauge on my Sherline from 2,000 lb to 1,000 lb capacity to keep my target weight ( 320 lbs. ) closer to the middle.
Agreed - I don't have a sky hook handy. But here is a link.
Roughneck Digital Hanging Scale — 1,100-Lb. Capacity | Suspended Scales| Northern Tool + Equipment

jamman is offline   Reply With Quote