What brand bed cover? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' and 2017 F150 3.5 eco boost
What brand bed cover?

My TV is a 2017 F-150 crew with the short box. I am interested in purchasing a hard tonneau cover that will be capable of locking and keeping belongings and support goods secure. What brand do you have and has it met up to your expectations. I am considering the backflip mx 4 and was wondering specifically if any forum members have it on their TV.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have the Bakflip G2. Aluminum frame, folding, hard cover. Of course I need one that gets out of the way, since I'm towing a 5.0TA. Very happy with it. I know at least three other F-150 owners that have the same.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have the Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite with the Personal Caddy (tool box). Not the cheapest solution, but I researched the crap out of tonneau covers, and decided upon this one. Two years now, and still loving it. Totally dry inside, and folds out of the way when towing the 5.0TA. Easy access to the toolbox in the front, or the bed in the rear.
https://www.foldacover.com/
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have the Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite with the Personal Caddy (tool box). Not the cheapest solution, but I researched the crap out of tonneau covers, and decided upon this one. Two years now, and still loving it. Totally dry inside, and folds out of the way when towing the 5.0TA. Easy access to the toolbox in the front, or the bed in the rear.
https://www.foldacover.com/
i have the Fold-a-Cover on my Silverado. Coming up on four years, still works great. They are expensive but top notch.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I always have the back flip hard cover on my trucks. Wonderful cover. I can’t remember which model it is, but in AZ we can’t use the aluminum ones as you will get serious burns on your hands in the summer opening your cover.. Mine is made of fiberglass panels and does not superheat in direct sun.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' and 2017 F150 3.5 eco boost
Thanks for the advise and guidance. Iappreciate your quick replies.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have an Undercover one-piece bed cover. It is secure and durable. It is black but supposedly it can be painted by a body shop. It is removeable and light enough that one person can handle it if necessary, but you really need two as with any wind it becomes a sail. Also, you can stand on it, which makes it handy as a good platform for standing on to mess with the roof of your trailer.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I bought the cheapest Tonneau I could find, $300 I think. No where near as convenient as the hard shell folders. Had a choice of button snaps or velcro and I went for the snaps - I figured, longer lasting than Velcro. Hard on the fingers, though. That was 3 years ago. The good news is you can buy replacement buttons at any fabric store.
Attached Thumbnails
Tonneau1.jpg  
Old 10-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I've had a rigid Undercover on my last 3 trucks. It's rotomolded and strong enough to mount bike racks on top. Think their web page has about 6-8 people standing on it.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I just bought a roll up soft cover I like it but could be cut if a thief wanted in keeps stuff in the bed dry and out of sight I just didn't want to spend the money for the ridged ones. Also I wasn't sure there was room for the fold up one with a short bed and 5.0
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
One vote for Undercover Flex

After surveying many of the pick-up owners at Osoyoos in 2016, I bought the Undercover Flex brand of tri-fold rigid cover. It has prop rods to hold the pack off the cab, and can be driven that way.

It may not be any better than other similar brands, but I bought it on-line, installed it myself, and have not had any leaks.

It doesn't have a lock, but it closes securely and can only be opened when the gate is opened, and the Ram locks the gate when the doors are locked. Pleased with it.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have an Undercover one-piece bed cover. It is secure and durable. It is black but supposedly it can be painted by a body shop. It is removeable and light enough that one person can handle it if necessary, but you really need two as with any wind it becomes a sail. Also, you can stand on it, which makes it handy as a good platform for standing on to mess with the roof of your trailer.
I have an unfortunate update to my Undercover truck bed cover. Yesterday morning I opened it and felt it shift sideways. I looked closer and found that all of the rivets on the driver's side hinge that hold the cover to the hinge had sheared off. I removed the cover from my truck.

I have had the cover for the four years that I've had the truck, and have subjected it to normal use. I can't think of any misuse that would have caused this. So I'm withdrawing my recommendation for the Undercover. Guess I need to try something else.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have an unfortunate update to my Undercover truck bed cover. Yesterday morning I opened it and felt it shift sideways. I looked closer and found that all of the rivets on the driver's side hinge that hold the cover to the hinge had sheared off. I removed the cover from my truck.

I have had the cover for the four years that I've had the truck, and have subjected it to normal use. I can't think of any misuse that would have caused this. So I'm withdrawing my recommendation for the Undercover. Guess I need to try something else.
I've had the same rigid plastic molded Undercover brand on my last 3 Tacos (cheapskate so I transfer it from the old truck to the new) so it's at least 12 years old. Never had a problem, and I drive with it not fully closed but tied down with a bungie cord at the rear when I have a taller load.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I bought a Bestop EZFold tri-fold cover for our new F150 in May 2016 on Amazon for just under $300USD. It is fine, can fold up and secured with straps when hauling the 5.0, when folded though it fills with water if have a good rain. Seems to keep things at the front of bed pretty dry and when fully closed have no to little moisture coming in at the back. But driving gravel roads last summer with it fully closed I opened tailgate to find the back foot of the bed filled with dust!

Adrian
emers382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Adrian, they make tailgate sealing tape that eliminates that problem
https://www.amazon.com/Truck-Upfitte..._&dpSrc=detail