What hitch for 5.0 TA? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
Thank you all. This has been very helpful (esp the photos). DH is concerned about losing some of the storage space in the truck, but that concern appears not to be as big of an issues as we had thought.

We'll be going up to Chilliwack in a couple of weeks to deliver fabric - we are thinking of having Trademasters install the hitch at that time.
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdunca44 View Post
Our truck bed is 6’ (I have no idea whether that is considered a “short bed”).
Long ago, 8 ft was regular for a full-size pickup and anything else was "short", with the only common size shorter than 8 ft being about 6 ft. With the trend to very long cabs, 8 ft is rare and may be called "long", while about 6ft is sort of "regular". Just use the actual length, and ask anyone giving advice what they mean if they use terms such as "short".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #23

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I use an Anderson with a turn over ball hitch -works perfectly. The chains are not standard (not required in most states) so if you want them you have to ask for them to be installed. I do use them because its an extra safety item in case i do something wrong when hitching also there is a lot of controversy about if they are required or not so it seemed safer to use them and it is not difficult to snap them on... I do not climb into the bed to attach the chains- I'm in my 60s and i do not want to climb in the bed of my truck every time i hitch up. I had them reversed so they stay attached in my truck bed and i just need to click them to the hitch much easier then climbing in the beds to attach them to the bed of the truck. i click them to a ring on the side of my truck bed when unhitched so they are always easy to reach. I still use a small step stool to hitch up but i would need that anyway. I'm only 5'2". I find hitching up the 5th wheel much easier then a bumper pull trailer. My truck is a 5 and a half foot bed 2.7 F150 does a great job pulling the 5th wheel.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdunca44 View Post
Just to add, our tow vehicle is a 2019 Tundra with a 6’ bed.
I have an Anderson hitch mounted to my rails in my 2012 Tundra double cab 6.5 ft bed and love it. As others have mentioned I can lift it with one hand, which is important as my truck is also my work truck so I remove it all the time. I just clip the safety chains to the Anderson...easy and quick. Anderson does make things for the chains that mount to your rails.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
5th Wheel Hitch Purchase

We purchased a Curt A16 with slide.

Definitely get the slide, it really helps in tight spaces. Due to an accident the police told us we had turn around within the two lanes of the highway. It would have been tight with the trailer to the cab without the slide.

Another thing to know. If there is weight on the hitch you will find the control arms almost impossible to move. Very easy if there is no weight.

I saw many issues with the Anderson Hitch. It is a ball on a tri-pod. My biggest concern is that it is non-standard and structure.

Ours has indicators to show hitch and non-hitch. It is a bit lighter then some of the ones that are used for the "5th Wheel Homes on Wheel". I use an 201 F150 2-wheel dr. with the 6 cylinder 6-speed non-eco. So I watch the weight in the back of the truck. By way the truck had no issues in the mountains, very happy with tow.
WRGooding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Think that's the first time I've read where someone thinks a slide is needed for a 5.0TA. "Definitely" might be too strong a word.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:13 AM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRGooding View Post
We I saw many issues with the Anderson Hitch. It is a ball on a tri-pod. My biggest concern is that it is non-standard and structure.
I don't know what the issues would be, other than the annoyance of chains (in most jurisdictions).

It is indeed a ball, although on a four-sided pyramid rather than a tripod. I don't know what's wrong with that.

It is true that it is not common, although it is functionally identical to the ball-in-bed hitches called "goosenecks" (mis-named for a style of trailer) - at a higher position than usual but within the range used commercially - which are routinely used for much heavier trailers than any Escape.

The structure is rated, and presumably tested, to something like four times the trailer weight of an Escape 5.0TA. It mounts to the truck the same way as fifth-wheel hitches.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:14 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:

Definitely get the slide, it really helps in tight spaces.

Another thing to know. If there is weight on the hitch you will find the control arms almost impossible to move. Very easy if there is no weight.

I saw many issues with the Anderson Hitch. It is a ball on a tri-pod. My biggest concern is that it is non-standard .
The added weight and complexity of a sliding hitch for a 50 Escape has been proven by people on this forum time and again. This includes me. I've towed almost 10000 miles now, what's your experience? What control arms are you talking about? Saw many issues? I have no experience with a conventional 5th wheel or sliding 5th. I do know no one makes a conventional 5th wheel that is lighter or simpler. I do know you don't need a slider. 🤔 Once again it seems opinion is confused with facts.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #29

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:

Definitely get the slide, it really helps in tight spaces. Due to an accident the police told us we had turn around within the two lanes of the highway. It would have been tight with the trailer to the cab without the slide.

I saw many issues with the Anderson Hitch. It is a ball on a tri-pod. My biggest concern is that it is non-standard and structure.

Ours has indicators to show hitch and non-hitch. It is a bit lighter then some of the ones that are used for the "5th Wheel Homes on Wheel". I use an 201 F150 2-wheel dr. with the 6 cylinder 6-speed non-eco. So I watch the weight in the back of the truck. By way the truck had no issues in the mountains, very happy with tow.
We purchased our 5.0TA last October and currently have over 14,000 miles hauling and 147 nights on the road. Yes, I keep a log.

I've had to turn our 5.0TA around on a two lane road a couple of times with our Andersen hitch. The first time I questioned if it could be done. It can! The second time went much faster.

You said, "I saw." Structure shouldn't be a problem with our 5.0, since it weighs 1/3 or less the weight of those big 5th wheels I've seen using the Andersen hitch. I talked to one toy-hauler with an Andersen hitch who said he'd never go back to a conventional hitch. I did notice that those big boy haulers using the Andersen hitch had long beds in back so they got away without a sliding hitch. We don't need a sliding hitch with our 5.0 with the Andersen.

Probably 75% or more of the Escape 5th wheels use the Andersen hitch. It's extremely easy to use and at 35#'s I can easily remove the hitch when the bed space is needed, something that couldn't be said about our previous conventional 5th wheel hitch.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
Appreciate all the responses. DH has made his decision; we are headed to Chilliwack next week to have the Anderson hitch installed by Trademasters.....

Thanks all
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I agree with the comments others have posted about a heavy slide hitch being better than the Anderson. I can have the trailer turned a good 90° from straight and can manoeuvre into the tightest spots. Too each there own, but I just love the Anderson, so easy to use, including the extra 30 seconds tops to connect chains.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I agree with the comments others have posted about a heavy slide hitch being better than the Anderson. I can have the trailer turned a good 90° from straight and can manoeuvre into the tightest spots. Too each there own, but I just love the Anderson, so easy to use, including the extra 30 seconds tops to connect chains.
👍👍 I have yet to find someone who has actually used the Anderson that didn't like it. It's too bad so many misconceptions keep going around.

How's the rehab going??
Old 07-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
How's the rehab going??
Glad to have the brain pretty much back to normal, at least good enough for me.

They are slow on the physical work. I really don't know where the cracked vertebrae has healed too yet. I am planning to just skip much of the Health Care work and will be going to good Physical Trainer right away. Still need to get a physical okay from Health Care in order to get my driver's license cleared, I have everything else and so want to be driving again.

I actually am feeling WAY better physically now.

Back to fifth wheel hitches.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #34

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Thats great to hear Jim , hope yer back on the road soon
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Glad to have the brain pretty much back to normal, at least good enough for me.

They are slow on the physical work. I really don't know where the cracked vertebrae has healed too yet. I am planning to just skip much of the Health Care work and will be going to good Physical Trainer right away. Still need to get a physical okay from Health Care in order to get my driver's license cleared, I have everything else and so want to be driving again.

I actually am feeling WAY better physically now.

Back to fifth wheel hitches.
I'm about 1/2 the brain I used to be😂 Found the more you loose the less u miss it😎
Old 07-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Thats great to hear Jim , hope yer back on the road soon
Thanks.
Quote:
I'm about 1/2 the brain I used to be�� Found the more you loose the less u miss it��
Ain't that the truth. I see you used loose instead of lose, you're on you way. Though, things are getting loose in there for me, causing me to lose it. LOL
Old 07-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I had my wife keep a close eye but we turned as sharp as we could in the parking lot by Bob's burgers just to find out the limits. I haven't found a turn or back up maneuver yet that would make the trailer and truck contact. That is with a 6.5" bed and anderson hitch.

I have worried about the impact of my TV breaking down and the trailer needed to be hauled by another truck but unless Im' mistaken, it's as simple as removing the adapter from the pin box and its ready for a conventional fifth wheel hitch (even though it may not be the right level it would work in a pinch I think).

I must be hooking my safety chains of the hard way since I climb into the bed to do it but I'm going to test some other ideas based on what I've read here.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
I had my wife keep a close eye but we turned as sharp as we could in the parking lot by Bob's burgers just to find out the limits. I haven't found a turn or back up maneuver yet that would make the trailer and truck contact. That is with a 6.5" bed and anderson hitch.

I have worried about the impact of my TV breaking down and the trailer needed to be hauled by another truck but unless Im' mistaken, it's as simple as removing the adapter from the pin box and its ready for a conventional fifth wheel hitch (even though it may not be the right level it would work in a pinch I think).

I must be hooking my safety chains of the hard way since I climb into the bed to do it but I'm going to test some other ideas based on what I've read here.
The chains stay attached to truck, the hooks attach to the pin adapter
Attached Thumbnails
20190726_144729.jpg  
Old 07-26-2019, 02:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
I am 6' so just reach over the box side to grab and connect the chains. Worse case scenario is that the ground is low or the chains are resting away from me, then it is just a quick step up on the truck tire and I have lots of room to do it, and it only takes an extra 5 seconds.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Quote:
The chains stay attached to truck, the hooks attach to the pin adapter
I have the B&W turnover ball mount which has included spring loaded safety chain connections and I do leave the chains connected to the truck also. More of a reach issue to get them connected.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote