What hitch for 5.0 TA? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am 6' so just reach over the box side to grab and connect the chains. Worse case scenario is that the ground is low or the chains are resting away from me, then it is just a quick step up on the truck tire and I have lots of room to do it, and it only takes an extra 5 seconds.
We are the same height and I can sometimes get away with reaching over but the shackles can be tough to thread and tighten up without climbing in the bed. I never thought about a hook type quick connection on the trailer end so I could put reverse the chains so the shackles connect to the truck bed end. Feel silly that I never thought about that.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:00 PM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 ta
We took ETI’s recommendation & went with the Andersen Ultimate. We are delighted with it. TradeMasters was great, even gave us a ride back to the Best Western so we could relax while they did the installation. So easy to hitch up, tows like a charm. Do not try to get the hitch installed the day of orientation, well worth taking the extra day so there is no need to rush.
EllieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:38 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
We are the same height and I can sometimes get away with reaching over but the shackles can be tough to thread and tighten up without climbing in the bed. I never thought about a hook type quick connection on the trailer end so I could put reverse the chains so the shackles connect to the truck bed end. Feel silly that I never thought about that.
Yeah, I had the chains connected to the pin box at first, then read here about attaching to the truck bed. Way easier and no chains hanging off the pin box either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #44

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Got back a couple of weeks ago from the four week and one day trip to pick up the trailer. A little over 5000 miles after picking up the trailer on all types of terrain and roads.

One of my questions had been what about clearance with the "short/short bed" (57"). I have a Curt gooseneck hitch that I installed. I selected the Andersen because of weight. In the campground at Moab parked next to me was a large 17,000 lb fifth wheel with an Andersen hitch. The owner had switched to an Andersen because of ease of hitching and unhitching on unlevel terrain. During the return trip I had no negative clearance issues. I have since placed a Curt 4" offset ball in the bed for additional cab clearance. The pictures are with the offset ball. I don't have them attached in this picture but I use the safety chains.
We installed the Andersen Hitch in Bob's parking lot in less than five minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0782 (1).jpg   IMG_0781 (1).jpg  
Old 07-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #45

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
When we picked up our 5.0ta in may, The man ( cant remember his name ) who set up our trailer said probably 80% of customers getting a 5.0ta use the Anderson. I love it. I tow with a Silverado with a short short bed. No clearance issues turns 90% without contact. Might have to be careful on very uneven ground and very sharp turn. 2000 miles so far with no issues.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:40 PM   #46

Trailer: 5.0 TA
Smile

We are picking up our 5.0 in a couple of weeks. Also have your same set up Short-Short Bed with Curt goose neck, offset ball and Anderson Ultimate hitch.

Noticed you have your coupler reversed. My Silverado bed rails are only 55" high and am hoping theres enough kingpin turning clearance to install the coupler forward. If not, it's good to hear it still work great! Thanks for posting.
Luke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke2 View Post
We are picking up our 5.0 in a couple of weeks. Also have your same set up Short-Short Bed with Curt goose neck, offset ball and Anderson Ultimate hitch.

Noticed you have your coupler reversed. My Silverado bed rails are only 55" high and am hoping theres enough kingpin turning clearance to install the coupler forward. If not, it's good to hear it still work great! Thanks for posting.
I would like to use coupler forward so that I would not have to fold my BAKflip tonneau up against the cab but if I do that I'm pretty sure I would have bed side wall clearance issues. I haven't used the offset ball yet while towing but as you can see by the pictures I should not have any tail gate clearance issues. I hope. We're headed out on a trip Tuesday so I'll get a chance to check the offset ball setup. Over the years towing gooseneck stock and horse trailers on off road terrain I have banged up my tail gate and the bed side wall top near the tail gate and I don't want that experience with this truck..
Old 08-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #48

As I've mentioned I have an Andersen and I also added a 4 inch offset ball to increase cab clearance with short/short bed. Probably had plenty of clearance to begin with but I already had the offset ball so why not. I do notice the trailer a bit more after moving the pivot point rearward 4 inches but not much. Took this picture this morning making a 180 degree turn to leave the camp site. Later when I stopped at the dump station a couple came up and commented on what a great looking trailer I had and took pictures to show friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Shortbed clearance.jpg  
Old 08-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
As I've mentioned I have an Andersen and I also added a 4 inch offset ball to increase cab clearance with short/short bed. Probably had plenty of clearance to begin with but I already had the offset ball so why not. I do notice the trailer a bit more after moving the pivot point rearward 4 inches but not much. Took this picture this morning making a 180 degree turn to leave the camp site. Later when I stopped at the dump station a couple came up and commented on what a great looking trailer I had and took pictures to show friends.
Get used to that, we have had people check out our trailer at every campsite we have stayed at, and rest stops, gas stations, and yes dump stations too 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:50 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Get used to that, we have had people check out our trailer at every campsite we have stayed at, and rest stops, gas stations, and yes dump stations too 😎
When we picked the thing up it started at the Lynden KOA. People walking up making comments. Stopped at a truck stop in southeastern Oregon and one of the truckers walked all the way across the lot, and it was large, to look at the trailer. I think it's the shiny wheels