What size can I tow with FJ cruiser? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #1

What size can I tow with FJ cruiser?

I am searching for a light weight TT and am very interested in the escape. I want a model with a permanent bed and table area that serves as a second sleep area when needed. Hoping to find a previously owned model. I read the previous post re FJ Cruiser-now I am uncertain about what I can actually tow. 2010 model with 4WD rated for 5,000 capacity. I previously towed a Scamp 13 with a Rav4 but found I need more space and sleeping options when I have someone travel with me. Advice welcomed.
Elizabeth in MT Any Escapes in MT?
ElizabethMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: What size can I tow with FJ cruiser?

I tow a 17B with a RAV4 V6 Sport.
Use a equalizer hitch.
The RAV is rated 3,500 lbs. so I don't see any problem with FJ Cruiser ( at 5,000 lb ) except that you have to drive it around town. I looked at it and didn't like the visibility out the back or the roof overhanging the front windshield. You can't see the traffic light unless you stop well back. Not my choice for an all-round vehicle. But there is one owner on the list. Maybe he will check in.

baglo
Old 08-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

An FJ Cruiser, or any other vehicle with a 5000# towing capacity, should be a perfect match for the Escape 19 which has a dry weight of around 2510# and comes in at around 3600# with options and loaded up for an extended camping trip.

The 2010 FJ Cruiser has curb weight of 4295#, a payload capoacity of 1325# and a Gross Combined Weight Rating of 9500# (this is the total amount of weight combined including the weight of the truck, people & cargo, along with everything you're hauling and towing) so you should be in good shape.

www.toyota.com/pdfs/towguide_Part1.pdf
mediap04.toyota.ca/media/pdf/09-10towing_guide_e.pdf
Old 08-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #4

Yep.. I think you'll find it a good match for pulling the Escape..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Hi, Elizabeth! Welcome to the forum.

Looking at the numbers, if you load your Cruiser to what is allowed, and you load a 19' to the common 3800 or so, you would be overweight. The 5000 lb. towing capacity is very misleading because you have to subtract whatever you put in the TV besides the driver. If you put 1100 pounds in the Cruiser, for instance, the towing capacity becomes 3900 lbs. So the 5000 lbs. is not really your towing capacity. Different cars and trucks have the numbers figured in various ways. Some people need to subtract while others do not. You are required to subtract with a Cruiser. When you look at your numbers closely, you will see how that works.

Some people have their 19's loaded to 4000 and some even over but then there are those who might be at only 3600. I would use the higher numbers because they are apparently more common from weighings we have seen lately.

If your Cruiser only had another 700-800 pounds, you would have a little leeway but not that much. It is a good idea to become very familiar with the numbers yourself so that you realize exactly what capacities you have and what your situation includes.

A helpful exercise might be to load up the car with whatever you expect to have when towing, including gas, and weigh the TV at a truck scale. You might add another 200-300 pounds for everything you probably forgot or will want in the future. Then see where you are. It depends on your personal situation as well as your comfort level as far as which trailer you tow. Your GVWR could be in the door jamb. If you need more help, we are here.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud

Looking at the numbers, if you load your Cruiser to what is allowed, and you load a 19' to the common 3800 or so, you would be overweight. The 5000 lb. towing capacity is very misleading because you have to subtract whatever you put in the TV besides the driver. If you put 1100 pounds in the Cruiser, for instance, the towing capacity becomes 3900 lbs. So the 5000 lbs. is not really your towing capacity. Different cars and trucks have the numbers figured in various ways. Some people need to subtract while others do not. You are required to subtract with a Cruiser. When you look at your numbers closely, you will see how that works.
As stated in to Toyota Guide to Towing, only the tongue weight of the trailer has to be included in the GVWR caculation, the weight of the trailer and contents has to be included in the GCWR calculation.

9500 GCWR - 4295 CW - 3800 Trailer weight = 1405# of payload allowed in the tow vehicle.
5567 GVWR - 4295 CW - 400 trailer tonge weight = 872# of payload allowed in the tow vehicle.
Use the lesser result of the two calculations.
Attached Thumbnails
FJ Cruiser Towing.jpg  
Old 08-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

I find the GCWR and GVWR calculations to be an interesting challenge. Floating Cloud is correct that you should become familar with these calculations, whether with your FJ Crusier or any other vehicle you might tow.

There are a number of pieces to the puzzle that we do not have. For one, how many people travelling, do you take toys (bicycles, kayaks etc.) and how do you camp. Estimating weights is something you have to do, I would recommend looking at the following link to see some of the real world trailer weights.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

To find an Escape in Montana it would be best to contact Tammy at Escape Industries, she maintains a complete list of all the trailers and can best point you to the closest unit.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #8

Trailer: '07 17B

Hi! We have a 2007 FJ & tow a 17' (no equalizer bars). I have never had any issues with too much weight. I suppose it would depend on what you are bringing with you camping. We have packed up everything needed for an extended 3 week sojourn (except for some food bought along the way) & it has towed very nice. I don't think you will have any problems, but like has been said, keep an eye on the total weight (cast iron cookware adds up pretty quick!)
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Harold, your latest numbers confirm what I said.
Elizabeth, this info may be of some help or may just be even more confusing!

If I add the numbers given for a 4Runner for the towing capacity of 5000 and the GVWR of 6300, the total I get is 11,300. That is the number given for the 4Runner's GCWR.

If I add the numbers given for the Cruiser (which is also a Toyota), 5000 towing capacity and 5567 GVWR, the total is 10567. The GCWR, however, is only 9500. That means that whatever is put in the tow vehicle has to be subtracted from the 5000. In this case Toyota apparently allowed some for a driver which is common. As you point out, Harold, there is a tongue weight consideration of about 400 lbs.

The 872 lbs. of payload you give that is allowed in the tow vehicle is right where I am. As I mentioned, if Elizabeth had another 700-800 lbs. in the tow vehicle, she would get by but that is all. She would be living on the edge. Some recommend a 20% safety factor and others say that you don't need any.

One person's comfort level may not be mine or Elizabeth's. I would certainly hope that no one goes by what they are told on any forum but unfortunately some seem to do just that.

The payload previously given was 1325. If the vehicle were loaded to that and towing the normal 19', it would be overweight. No one mentioned this to Elizabeth and had she used the comments given, she might have found herself overloaded at just the wrong time.

Elizabeth, as Paul says, only you know your situation and how much and what you might be loading up. You just have to start weighing it all!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #10

Elizabeth;
I have a 17B and live in Helena, what part of Montana do you live in?
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B

After some consideration and questions asked on both this forum and the FJ Cruiser forum, we made a decision to go ahead with the purchase of a 19'. I have no doubts that the FJ will be a suitable TV for this trailer.

Here is a photo I found of an FJ towing a load that is probably a bit heavier than the 19'. (Not that I would do such a thing with mine).

I will know better next spring how an FJ does with the 19'.
cheers
dave

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud
Hi, Elizabeth! Welcome to the forum.

Some people have their 19's loaded to 4000 and some even over but then there are those who might be at only 3600. I would use the higher numbers because they are apparently more common from weighings we have seen lately.

If your Cruiser only had another 700-800 pounds, you would have a little leeway but not that much. It is a good idea to become very familiar with the numbers yourself so that you realize exactly what capacities you have and what your situation includes.

A helpful exercise might be to load up the car with whatever you expect to have when towing, including gas, and weigh the TV at a truck scale. You might add another 200-300 pounds for everything you probably forgot or will want in the future. Then see where you are. It depends on your personal situation as well as your comfort level as far as which trailer you tow. Your GVWR could be in the door jamb. If you need more help, we are here.

Actually this is not correct. You are confusing gross carry capacity with towing capacity. Your tongue weight is used to determine what your FJ can carry. As long as it is below the 500# limit of the FJ you will be fine, in addition since both the 19' and 17' are both below the 5000# towing capacity, that limit is fine. I just purchased a new FJ to replace my Jeep Liberty as a tow vehicle. The FJ is much better sued for towing than the Liberty was. You will be fine with the FJ and any Escape. Good luck
Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

Might not be the best choice with the 5.0
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Actually this is not correct. You are confusing gross carry capacity with towing capacity. Your tongue weight is used to determine what your FJ can carry. As long as it is below the 500# limit of the FJ you will be fine, in addition since both the 19' and 17' are both below the 5000# towing capacity, that limit is fine. I just purchased a new FJ to replace my Jeep Liberty as a tow vehicle. The FJ is much better sued for towing than the Liberty was. You will be fine with the FJ and any Escape. Good luck
Yep.. (jim) is right ONLY the tongue weight is used in the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle.. also if you use a WDH it distributes the tongue over the 3 axles.. so effectively allowing more cargo capacity as well..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote