What to bring WDH - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I'm clueless about all this stuff, so please bear with me. Is this something that will change between different loads in the towing vehicle?

Example - I've loaded up the truck with stuff for a bazaar I want to vend at. It's lots heavier than normal - by how much I don't know as I've never weighed my FJ loaded for a show vs unloaded. (Heck, I've never weighed it in either situation!) Will the hitch be adjusted differently in each situation?
Yes, it will change if the load in the truck changes dramatically. Most people tow their travel trailer with a reasonably consistent load in the truck, but if you are changing the load by half a ton, it will make a difference which might matter to the WDH setup.

The WDH doesn't "know" anything about the weight of anything. The only factor which changes the force applied by the system's springs is the angle between the tug and trailer, as seen from the side. With a lot of extra load in the truck the rear end will sit lower, so with the same settings the WDH will apply more force; that might be appropriate, but it might be excessive... or even not enough depending on your truck's loading condition.

I think a reasonable approach would be to get the WDH set for a typical load, which should include taking it over a weigh scale to confirm results at the end, then take it to a scale again when using it when heavily loaded to make sure it is still resulting in appropriate axle loads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
And does it depend on how much stuff you have in your trailer as well? I imagine when it's set up at ETI your trailer hasn't been loaded up with your food, bedding, clothes and other stuff.
Only the trailer's tongue weight matters significantly to the WDH setup.

I think a lot of people bring their camping stuff with them when they pick up the trailer, so it might be reasonably loaded for its first trip at setup time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Sounds like getting the electric tongue jack on our trailer will be beneficial with hooking the WDH. Are you able to put your trailer contents from the truck in the trailer before ETI exports to Sumas or do you have to wait till Sumas after export?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Sounds like getting the electric tongue jack on our trailer will be beneficial with hooking the WDH. Are you able to put your trailer contents from the truck in the trailer before ETI exports to Sumas or do you have to wait till Sumas after export?
I always thought that an electric tongue jack was something I didn't need. But now, with the WDH, I jack the tongue up and down twice as much as my previous trailer without a WDH, I'd certainly have one installed. Who knows, one day maybe I'll get rid of the manual crank and make life easier.

Best to ask ETI about your goods in the trailer before it's exported. Given the border security these days, they or their insurer may not want third party goods mixed in with the export and border crossing.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Definitely worth asking about. We had the truck bed loaded with all the trailer gear when ETI set up the hitch. I had to alter the setup when we got home because everything rode differently with a lot less in the truck bed (duh.)

I would never tow without a "standard" WDH (Reese Pro) and have no need for sway control with a longish pickup. The truck and trailer both ride much better with the WDH and I don't need any rear spring helpers.

Hitching and unhitching are quick and easy - I use the jack or the pipe. I only handle one of the three hitch pieces at a time so the total weight is not a big deal.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Are you able to put your trailer contents from the truck in the trailer before ETI exports to Sumas or do you have to wait till Sumas after export?
You cannot put anything in the trailer until you take possession in Sumas. ETI did put our WDH in the box because they figured that would not be a problem. No personal items.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote