What Tow VEhicle - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky View Post
... Most Fords are sold for fleets and that's where the reliability issue changes. If a person buys a truck and carrys a 25 pound bag of dog food and two 25 pound bags of potting soil once a year it's not the same as someone who uses a truck for a mobile tire repair with toolboxes and on the highway all the time.
Government agencies and companies depend on their trucks for reliability and the speed of their repairs...
Yes, I agree - fleets are full of SuperDuty trucks, not the nearly unrelated F-150. That's just one reason that fleet experience with Fords is not a great reason to expect anything (good or bad) of an F-150.

Ford seems to change the SuperDuty design and equipment less frequently than than the F-150, so parts availability is probably easier to maintain.

As I started to type this, the TV was showing a Ford commercial with an F-150 towing a trailer with a decently large farm tractor (not big by our standards here, but well beyond home use). Funny, I've never seen a real F-150 towing a tractor here; the farmers use SuperDuty diesels for this, and drive the family F-150 to the grocery store, just like the oilfield and other industrial users.

Fleets are also full of Ram trucks (mostly 2500 and up) and GM pickups - or at least that's what I see on the roads here - because fleet buyers know that all of them are comparable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
We won't get our 19 until next year but we just bought our tow vehicle.
I searched a bunch of sites like autotrader and cars.com looking for older, but still new cars. Some models have 2017 versions out now, so dealers were more willing to deal on past years.
I was looking nationwide and prepared to travel a a bit for a good deal, but found something 2 hours away. We just purchased a still new on the lot 2015 Grand Cherokee.
The best deal I could find locally was through Costco, it was below invoice plus some Chrysler and dealer money. We were looking at a 2016 Limited with the tow package and a V6 gas engine, but paid about $1000.00 less for a 2015 with the same options and a diesel ($4,500.00 option). All in all a little over $9,000.00 off the sticker.
I'm sure the dealer still made money on the sale, but for once I think we got a decent deal.

On paper it's overkill, but I can't tell you for sure how it tows yet.
Jim,
We have that diesel engine in our Ram, and I have loved it. 8,000 miles towing so far, and it's been effortless. Great choice.
Second choice would the be the F-150 Eco-boost, especially this fall when it gets a 10-speed transmission and a boost in torque.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #43

Trailer: 2016 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
I've owned 7 different Toyotas and Hondas since 1981. Sorry if I'm stepping on toes here because I know you guys all love them, but my experience has been that these were the most unreliable vehicles our family has owned except for a Mitsubishi Monero Sport that my son had. Blown transmissions, blown head gasket, oil leaks, water pumps, emissions issues, etc., etc. Our 2009 Yaris has had something like 5 safety recalls, and don't get me started on the A/C issues. My Volkswagen group cars (3 Audis and 2 VW's) have been much better, although the 3.0 supercharged A6 is delicate and eats brakes for breakfast so it is going back when the lease is done. My Ford truck was bulletproof (XL trim).

I guess the bottom line is that we are all ruled mostly by our past experiences. You will probably never buy another Ford, and I'll probably never buy another Toyota!
No toes stepped on, and yes, agree completely. I grew up in town in Michigan where at its peak, 15% of all the able bodied adults built GM engines and transmissions(and even I did briefly).

Car manufacturer preference is almost along the lines of religion and politics as a discussion topic. Thanks for reminding me
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:29 AM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_75 View Post
Car manufacturer preference is almost along the lines of religion and politics as a discussion topic. Thanks for reminding me
Guess I'm an atheist.
Renault, VW, Datsun pickup, VW bus, Triumph TR3, Nissan pickup, Fiat 128 Sport Coupe, Subaru wagon, Ford Explorer, Toyota RAV4. Drove leased company cars in between, Toyota Tersel, Dodge Omni, Caravan.
All I can say is that Chevy will never convince me to buy a vehicle as long as they run those stupid ads they're running now.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:13 AM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
All I can say is that Chevy will never convince me to buy a vehicle as long as they run those stupid ads they're running now.
Funny thing is, they'll look pretty silly having attacked aluminum when they eventually adopt it too.

Besides, who drops cinder blocks from a height into the bed of their new truck? Morons.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2016, 06:14 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Glad to see I am not the only one annoyed by therm. They lack good sense, and that does not sit well with me. I find them almost insulting.

If you prefer a circular saw to a hand saw, then you must drive a Chevy... not!
Or constantly saying best in class, yet don't tell you what the class is. Towing with an engine nobody else has.

I don't dislike GM products at all, I have owned a few over the years, and there have been many other great models. I just don't like ads that make no sense.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:36 AM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Glad to see I am not the only one annoyed by therm. They lack good sense, and that does not sit well with me. I find them almost insulting.

If you prefer a circular saw to a hand saw, then you must drive a Chevy... not!
Or constantly saying best in class, yet don't tell you what the class is. Towing with an engine nobody else has.

I don't dislike GM products at all, I have owned a few over the years, and there have been many other great models. I just don't like ads that make no sense.
Hi: Jim Bennett... Just when I got to "Middle class" they canceled it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:43 AM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Guess I'm an atheist.
Renault, VW, Datsun pickup, VW bus, Triumph TR3, Nissan pickup, Fiat 128 Sport Coupe, Subaru wagon, Ford Explorer, Toyota RAV4. Drove leased company cars in between, Toyota Tersel, Dodge Omni, Caravan.
Hi: gbaglo... Here's a little ditty for ya!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... Just when I got to "Middle class" they canceled it!!! Alf
Well then Alf, by default you must remain at the bottom with the rest of us. More fun there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #50

What I wonder is how many trucks did Chevy have to buy to get the shots they needed. Any shot for an ad requires multiple takes. Or did they use CGI ( Computer Generated Image )?
Old 09-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #51

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I usually tend to stay out of tow vehicle discussions as they can become a little heated. But as far as brands go, it is just a personal preference. All I have ever owned was Chevrolet, GMC, and Oldsmobile. My dad always had GM vehicles so maybe that is where that came from. As far as vehicles go, there is something for everyone. The one thing I am passionate about though, is surplus weight and towing capacity. And as for those strength ads that GM runs, the way I baby my truck box, 1/2 inch particle board would work for me. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #52

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
And as for those strength ads that GM runs, the way I baby my truck box, 1/2 inch particle board would work for me. Loren
seen several truck beds with a piece of plywood protecting the truck bed....just guessing but if the Ford had that on top of the aluminum bed the GM ad results might be different
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Or constantly saying best in class, yet don't tell you what the class is.
This is certainly not unique to General Motors... everyone does that. At one point all of the "Big Three" (GM, Ford, FCA) were simultaneously claiming to have the best towing capacity - each by defining a "class" which suited them, and providing that class definition in the fine print. As I recall, among the "heavy-duty pickups" Ford claimed it because their truck (F-450) actually had the highest rating towing capacity, Ram claimed it because they defined the class as not including the F-450, and GM claimed it because they compared capacity with a conventional rear hitch (not, for instance, fifth-wheel).
Old 09-20-2016, 05:22 PM   #54

Quote:
What I wonder is how many trucks did Chevy have to buy to get the shots they needed. Any shot for an ad requires multiple takes. Or did they use CGI ( Computer Generated Image )?
For the concrete-into-box ad? Not a problem... both GM and Ford boxes were dumped on about a dozen times, and they just kept the cameras rolling. Same for the toolbox test. The results are quite repeatable. No computer-generated stuff needed.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For the concrete-into-box ad? Not a problem... both GM and Ford boxes were dumped on about a dozen times, and they just kept the cameras rolling. Same for the toolbox test. The results are quite repeatable. No computer-generated stuff needed.
Do you really think they dropped that tool box into the bed once to get the visual result they wanted?
What was in the tool box? Lead?
Also love the towing video ( can't remember which company ) with the huge empty wire spools on the trailer, or the bulky, empty septic tank.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #56

Quote:
Do you really think they dropped that tool box into the bed once to get the visual result they wanted?
No, they did it a bunch of times as an internal activity before deciding to make an ad. To make the ad they did it a bunch of times... and almost all the time it punctures the Ford's floor and dents (but does not puncture) the GM's floor... which is not surprising, given the materials. They just pick one of the puncture examples from the available video. Various reporters have seen these demonstrations, which was probably a good move by GM, since there would be immediate suspicions.

Quote:
What was in the tool box? Lead?
No; I think it would have been fair to have a "typical" load of tools in it, but it's empty. The test is arranged to have the box hit on the corner, and the box is steel (remember those steel tool boxes?) so it's a pretty severe thing to do to a sheet metal panel... although not entirely unrealistic. I wouldn't balance a toolbox on the edge of a truck box, but a toolbox could get dropped that distance while loading or unloading.

Quote:
Also love the towing video ( can't remember which company ) with the huge empty wire spools on the trailer, or the bulky, empty septic tank.
I think the spools are Ram. One of my favourite "silly truck commercial" examples is the shipping container (also in a Ram ad?), which can weigh 40 tons when loaded... but is empty. It really does make some sense to use a light truck to shuffle empty containers to where they're needed so it is legitimate, but I'm sure that the intention is that viewers assume that the container is loaded and impressively massive.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #57

The ads from all the companies have convinced me to keep the vehicle I have as long as possible. I'll get no satisfaction buying a new one.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:54 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
The ads from all the companies have convinced me to keep the vehicle I have as long as possible. I'll get no satisfaction buying a new one.
Well, the ads have very little to do with my satisfaction one way or another. I love the F150, and the folks at Chevy can keep pumping out their ads as much as they like. There's a reason the F150 has been the best selling truck for decades.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk