What Tow VEhicle - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - Delivery July 2017
What Tow VEhicle

When I first joined the forum I asked if my 2014 Ford Escape with the 2 litre engine and a 3500 lb tow rating would be suitable for towing a 17 foot trailer. I got lots of good advice back but the basic thing that I was told was to choose a trailer and then determine what tow vehicle is required. So, Linda and I have decided to change our order from a 17B to a 19 (I haven't told Escape this yet) for the primary reason that the 19 has a permanent bed and a four person dinette. Because of this, I am now shopping for a vehicle to replace my Ford Escape. I have looked at the Ford Explorer and am planning to look at the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot and the Hyundai Santa Fe. One thing about the Explorer that I like, admittedly being a fan of Ford, is that it comes with the seven pin connector factory installed. I am interested in hearing your perspectives and advice and recommendations regarding the vehicles. I want an SUV because I plan to carry our racing bikes inside the back of the vehicle.

Ray B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B. View Post
When I first joined the forum I asked if my 2014 Ford Escape with the 2 litre engine and a 3500 lb tow rating would be suitable for towing a 17 foot trailer. I got lots of good advice back but the basic thing that I was told was to choose a trailer and then determine what tow vehicle is required. So, Linda and I have decided to change our order from a 17B to a 19 (I haven't told Escape this yet) for the primary reason that the 19 has a permanent bed and a four person dinette. Because of this, I am now shopping for a vehicle to replace my Ford Escape. I have looked at the Ford Explorer and am planning to look at the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot and the Hyundai Santa Fe. One thing about the Explorer that I like, admittedly being a fan of Ford, is that it comes with the seven pin connector factory installed. I am interested in hearing your perspectives and advice and recommendations regarding the vehicles. I want an SUV because I plan to carry our racing bikes inside the back of the vehicle.
This post/thread alone makes me never ever want to own a Ford.

Now this is scary!

For reliability I have consistently seen information (Consumer reports, etc) that Honda / Toyota are among the most reliable, and have some of the lowest ownership costs.

In my opinion they also happen to be the nicest to drive.

YMMV.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B. View Post
Hi: Ray B... I'm quite partial to my 2010 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab V6 4LTR. Long Bed W/6100 # tow cap. The only trouble I've had is the SES light coming on. I termed it spend entire savings light, but the last time I added some Injector cleaner to the gas... drove for a half hour road trip, and on the next start, it went out!!! It is a very capable tow vehicle. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040472.jpg (265.0 KB, 15 views)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
For reliability I have consistently seen information (Consumer reports, etc) that Honda / Toyota are among the most reliable, and have some of the lowest ownership costs.
I did a lot of research on vehicle reliability prior to purchasing our vehicle. I decided on Toyota because of their reputation for reliability and low operating costs. I liked a comparison that I found on Consumer Reports that ranked reliability based on a mean value and a range.
How Car Brands Compare for Reliability - Consumer Reports
10 Best Cars to Get to 200,000 Miles and Beyond - Consumer Reports

Toyota dealers know that people buy them for these reasons and very unlikely to deal on price. We have friends who recently purchased a new Hyundai Santa Fe with great incentives and 0% financing. They had gone to Toyota to look at a Highlander and the dealer wouldn't budge on cash price or financing terms. Basically told them they would sell the vehicle for full price either way.
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
I did a lot of research on vehicle reliability prior to purchasing our vehicle. I decided on Toyota because of their reputation for reliability and low operating costs. I liked a comparison that I found on Consumer Reports that ranked reliability based on a mean value and a range.
How Car Brands Compare for Reliability - Consumer Reports
10 Best Cars to Get to 200,000 Miles and Beyond - Consumer Reports

Toyota dealers know that people buy them for these reasons and very unlikely to deal on price. We have friends who recently purchased a new Hyundai Santa Fe with great incentives and 0% financing. They had gone to Toyota to look at a Highlander and the dealer wouldn't budge on cash price or financing terms. Basically told them they would sell the vehicle for full price either way.
aaaannnnndddd this is why we always use a car broker. We paid $750 LESS than dealer invoice on a brand new Acura MDX. The broker only sets up the deal. An actual dealer handled the whole transaction. The dealer brought the car to our home. Paperwork took an hour to sign it all. Highly recommended.

NewCarsLowestPrice.com-Buy Car/Lease Car/Auto Quotes

I know you are in Canada but years ago I helped a Canadian pal buy her new Acura (coincidence) in Canada with a Canadian Broker, so they exist - or at least they used to ....
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We used to tow our 17 with a 2006 Ford Escape... Did the job really well.

We were going to buy a Highlander but even used was too many $$.

Bought a loaded 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (no miles on it. Just 120 km) and has hitch and 7 pin wiring all factory installed.

My sis has towed with her Pathfinder for years so hoping we have the same luck....
Old 09-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B on Feb 7, 2017
I agree that Toyotas (and Hondas) are the most reliable cars statistically, but a lot of that has to do with the technology in them. 5-speed transmissions, limited infotainment systems, no diesel engine options, mostly 4-cylinder engines, etc. The more complicated (ie Luxurious) it is, the more "unreliable" it's going to be. I had many problems with the many Toyotas and Hondas I've owned -- they aren't really any better or worse than any other brand I've owned.

That doesn't mean that a lower "reliability" vehicle like a Fiat is going to leave you stranded by the side of the road, but it will be aggravating for many other reasons.

I would pick the vehicle that works best for you and not worry too much about reliability scores. Many people are happy with their Jeeps, Mercedes, Fords, etc.

For a 19' SUV tow vehicle, just make sure it can tow 5,000 lbs +. The more room above the GVWR of the trailer you have, the better. I like towing with our Touareg because it has so much extra capacity that it's really a non-issue hooking up 4,000 lbs.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA "Ebbet"
Another enthusiastic vote for using a broker. We've used Heidi for three vehicles (two Toyotas and the F-150) -- no dealer hassles, she found what we wanted, and brought it to our home, all for way less $$.
Auto Buying Service | Auto Broker | Seattle, Washington - Autowoman
Tom and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight"
No two cents on the towing vehicle, but you sure gonna love the 19!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Sharon View Post
Another enthusiastic vote for using a broker. We've used Heidi for three vehicles (two Toyotas and the F-150) -- no dealer hassles, she found what we wanted, and brought it to our home, all for way less $$.
Auto Buying Service | Auto Broker | Seattle, Washington - Autowoman
Well this is interesting. I wish I had known about auto brokers before I got my Tundra. I may have used one. I don't know how they work so I guess my question is " what's Heidi get out of it?"

Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote