What Tow VEhicle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
What Tow VEhicle

When I first joined the forum I asked if my 2014 Ford Escape with the 2 litre engine and a 3500 lb tow rating would be suitable for towing a 17 foot trailer. I got lots of good advice back but the basic thing that I was told was to choose a trailer and then determine what tow vehicle is required. So, Linda and I have decided to change our order from a 17B to a 19 (I haven't told Escape this yet) for the primary reason that the 19 has a permanent bed and a four person dinette. Because of this, I am now shopping for a vehicle to replace my Ford Escape. I have looked at the Ford Explorer and am planning to look at the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot and the Hyundai Santa Fe. One thing about the Explorer that I like, admittedly being a fan of Ford, is that it comes with the seven pin connector factory installed. I am interested in hearing your perspectives and advice and recommendations regarding the vehicles. I want an SUV because I plan to carry our racing bikes inside the back of the vehicle.
Ray B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B. View Post
When I first joined the forum I asked if my 2014 Ford Escape with the 2 litre engine and a 3500 lb tow rating would be suitable for towing a 17 foot trailer. I got lots of good advice back but the basic thing that I was told was to choose a trailer and then determine what tow vehicle is required. So, Linda and I have decided to change our order from a 17B to a 19 (I haven't told Escape this yet) for the primary reason that the 19 has a permanent bed and a four person dinette. Because of this, I am now shopping for a vehicle to replace my Ford Escape. I have looked at the Ford Explorer and am planning to look at the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot and the Hyundai Santa Fe. One thing about the Explorer that I like, admittedly being a fan of Ford, is that it comes with the seven pin connector factory installed. I am interested in hearing your perspectives and advice and recommendations regarding the vehicles. I want an SUV because I plan to carry our racing bikes inside the back of the vehicle.
This post/thread alone makes me never ever want to own a Ford.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post160092

For reliability I have consistently seen information (Consumer reports, etc) that Honda / Toyota are among the most reliable, and have some of the lowest ownership costs.

In my opinion they also happen to be the nicest to drive.

YMMV.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: Ray B... I'm quite partial to my 2010 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab V6 4LTR. Long Bed W/6100 # tow cap. The only trouble I've had is the SES light coming on. I termed it spend entire savings light, but the last time I added some Injector cleaner to the gas... drove for a half hour road trip, and on the next start, it went out!!! It is a very capable tow vehicle. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040472.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
For reliability I have consistently seen information (Consumer reports, etc) that Honda / Toyota are among the most reliable, and have some of the lowest ownership costs.
I did a lot of research on vehicle reliability prior to purchasing our vehicle. I decided on Toyota because of their reputation for reliability and low operating costs. I liked a comparison that I found on Consumer Reports that ranked reliability based on a mean value and a range.
How Car Brands Compare for Reliability - Consumer Reports
10 Best Cars to Get to 200,000 Miles and Beyond - Consumer Reports

Toyota dealers know that people buy them for these reasons and very unlikely to deal on price. We have friends who recently purchased a new Hyundai Santa Fe with great incentives and 0% financing. They had gone to Toyota to look at a Highlander and the dealer wouldn't budge on cash price or financing terms. Basically told them they would sell the vehicle for full price either way.
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
I did a lot of research on vehicle reliability prior to purchasing our vehicle. I decided on Toyota because of their reputation for reliability and low operating costs. I liked a comparison that I found on Consumer Reports that ranked reliability based on a mean value and a range.
How Car Brands Compare for Reliability - Consumer Reports
10 Best Cars to Get to 200,000 Miles and Beyond - Consumer Reports

Toyota dealers know that people buy them for these reasons and very unlikely to deal on price. We have friends who recently purchased a new Hyundai Santa Fe with great incentives and 0% financing. They had gone to Toyota to look at a Highlander and the dealer wouldn't budge on cash price or financing terms. Basically told them they would sell the vehicle for full price either way.
aaaannnnndddd this is why we always use a car broker. We paid $750 LESS than dealer invoice on a brand new Acura MDX. The broker only sets up the deal. An actual dealer handled the whole transaction. The dealer brought the car to our home. Paperwork took an hour to sign it all. Highly recommended.

NewCarsLowestPrice.com-Buy Car/Lease Car/Auto Quotes

I know you are in Canada but years ago I helped a Canadian pal buy her new Acura (coincidence) in Canada with a Canadian Broker, so they exist - or at least they used to ....
Old 09-14-2016, 12:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We used to tow our 17 with a 2006 Ford Escape... Did the job really well.

We were going to buy a Highlander but even used was too many $$.

Bought a loaded 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (no miles on it. Just 120 km) and has hitch and 7 pin wiring all factory installed.

My sis has towed with her Pathfinder for years so hoping we have the same luck....
Old 09-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I agree that Toyotas (and Hondas) are the most reliable cars statistically, but a lot of that has to do with the technology in them. 5-speed transmissions, limited infotainment systems, no diesel engine options, mostly 4-cylinder engines, etc. The more complicated (ie Luxurious) it is, the more "unreliable" it's going to be. I had many problems with the many Toyotas and Hondas I've owned -- they aren't really any better or worse than any other brand I've owned.

That doesn't mean that a lower "reliability" vehicle like a Fiat is going to leave you stranded by the side of the road, but it will be aggravating for many other reasons.

I would pick the vehicle that works best for you and not worry too much about reliability scores. Many people are happy with their Jeeps, Mercedes, Fords, etc.

For a 19' SUV tow vehicle, just make sure it can tow 5,000 lbs +. The more room above the GVWR of the trailer you have, the better. I like towing with our Touareg because it has so much extra capacity that it's really a non-issue hooking up 4,000 lbs.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #8

Another enthusiastic vote for using a broker. We've used Heidi for three vehicles (two Toyotas and the F-150) -- no dealer hassles, she found what we wanted, and brought it to our home, all for way less $$.
Auto Buying Service | Auto Broker | Seattle, Washington - Autowoman
Tom and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
No two cents on the towing vehicle, but you sure gonna love the 19!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Sharon View Post
Another enthusiastic vote for using a broker. We've used Heidi for three vehicles (two Toyotas and the F-150) -- no dealer hassles, she found what we wanted, and brought it to our home, all for way less $$.
Auto Buying Service | Auto Broker | Seattle, Washington - Autowoman
Well this is interesting. I wish I had known about auto brokers before I got my Tundra. I may have used one. I don't know how they work so I guess my question is " what's Heidi get out of it?"
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Well this is interesting. I wish I had known about auto brokers before I got my Tundra. I may have used one. I don't know how they work so I guess my question is " what's Heidi get out of it?"
here is a copy/ paste of the info I send people when they ask.

New (or used) cars lowest price. New Car Lowest Price - I highly recommend them.

NewCarsLowestPrice.com-Buy Car/Lease Car/Auto Quotes

His name is David and he is fantastic. Total pro. We have used him a couple times, and pals have used him many times. Everyone is always VERY happy. Saves you $$$$ and no hassle. He does car sales plus leases. Handles trade ins, if need be.

Tell him I said hi, and we LOVE dealing with him. 😊

$159 flat fee.
He also brokers / researches loans with no markup. $59 fee.
Highly recommended!!!! Car dealers suck.

Oh yeah he does new, , trade ins, purchase, lease, whatever.

He will save you $$$. Guaranteed.
Just call him.
Trust me.

The usual lowest rate that AAA, costco or the dealers will offer is $500 above "dealer invoice" for a new car.
However there are always internal kickbacks and bonuses that are hidden in the car dealer system. (Just read consumer reports magazine for this info)

David was able to get us $750 LESS THAN dealer invoice on our new SUV. He admits that was an exceptionally good deal but it gives some indication.

He deals directly with the dealers, and then the winning dealership actually brings the car to your door. If you want you can take it for a test drive (I recommend this) then you sign the paperwork. Takes about an hour. No stupid pressure for overpriced add ons... Mats... Underbody sprays you don't need... Etc.

So it is the dealer that brings you your car.

Plus David deals with loans, but without markup. The dealers ALWAYS mark up the loans, in a hidden way. Again - it is the actual bank that does the loan for us, not david. He just finds the best deal.

The paperwork all happens at delivery at your home.... Including any loan paperwork.
Super easy.

:-)

His fee also includes unlimited phone consultation. He is a car guru and can advise you on different makes and models.
:-)

No, I do not benefit if you hire him.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #12

Yup -- Heidi "The Amazing Autowoman" operates pretty much as 'Losangeles' says. She charges $250 flat fee.
Tom and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Heidi's site says $375.

Interesting. Never heard of this before but may consider it if I have to buy a new TV.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
aaaannnnndddd this is why we always use a car broker.
I would definitely go with an auto broker for a new vehicle purchase. I bought used this time around.
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
This post/thread alone makes me never ever want to own a Ford.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post160092...
Although my own posts to that thread support the fear-of-Ford attitude, to be fair I'll point out that the trigger for the discussion was lack of parts availability for a Ford F-150, so the comments were largely focussed on Ford. Ask about Chevy trucks, and I have more to share...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Yup -- Heidi "The Amazing Autowoman" operates pretty much as 'Losangeles' says. She charges $250 flat fee.
my guy is $159 flat fee, i believe.

this includes unlimited phone consulting, before you buy.

and if you want him to find you the best/cheapest loan, with no markup, it is $59 i believe.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
I agree that Toyotas (and Hondas) are the most reliable cars statistically, but a lot of that has to do with the technology in them. 5-speed transmissions, limited infotainment systems, no diesel engine options, mostly 4-cylinder engines, etc. The more complicated (ie Luxurious) it is, the more "unreliable" it's going to be.
I understand the point, but most Toyotas and many Hondas now have V6 engines and 6-speed (or more) transmissions; Lexus (which is Toyota) introduced the first 8-speed automatic (from any manufacturer) over a decade ago. Toyota does tend to be conservative and it attracts many practical buyers, but that doesn't mean that their products are all simplistic or outdated.

My Ford Focus, with its unreliable charging system (not just the alternator, but a faulty wiring harness and defective status indication) and failed front suspension components, was a long-established design of no more electrical or front suspension
complexity than a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic.

In passenger cars, the majority of models from the majority of manufacturers have no diesel engine option in North America. Even in full-size light pickup trucks, while Toyota does not offer a diesel, only Ram and Nissan (not Ford, not GM) offers one. In mid-size pickups, again Toyota does not offer a diesel, but only GM does - Nissan and Honda don't offer diesel, and Ford and Ram don't even sell that size of truck.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #18

Quote:
His name is David and he is fantastic.
$159 flat fee.
He also brokers / researches loans with no markup. $59 fee.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Heidi's site says $375.
So, who do you go to get the best deal on the services of an auto broker?
Old 09-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #19

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
make sure the Explorer or tug hitch is rated for the new higher 2017 Escape 19 tongue and tow weights...IMHO my previous Explorer would not have handled it well if at all and I doubt the new Explorer would either..hence bought a truck with a real factory frame attached (not bumper) tow hitch option , but others tow Escape 19 with other vehicles as well. IMHO Better safe than sorry when it comes to buying a new and what may be an expensive tow vehicle and if increasingly bigger trailers are someday preferred. Good luck dealing with car salesman, after recently purchasing a new vehicle this camper would rather have a root canal!
This camper also has an expensive road bike, and not sure it's any safer inside a SUV or inside a Truck Cap on the truck bed and locked to a rail bolted to the truck bed (current plan)...or even in the trailer except for visibility....if the determined thief wants it they are probably going to get it!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 21
Quote:
We went with the Highlander and had to have the "through the bumper" tow hitch added later :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Southeast Toyota region ordered Toyotas only came with the under bumper hitch.

When we got to Chilliwack, a shop there, Trademasters, installed a combo 4 & 7 pin Hopkins connector for us :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We're pleased with it after 4000 miles. But like you, we're biased too, but towards Toyotas, we've had very good luck with them.
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote