what truck to tow with...help please - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We have a 2005 Tundra 4x4 Access Cab 4.7 L V8. It has 285 HP and can tow 7000 lb, carry over 1400 lb payload. The newer, larger Tundras tow even more, but don't carry more payload. The same for the Ford, Chev and Dodge trucks. Examine your projected payload carefully, including people, hitch, tongue weight, etc. Salesmen never give you the scoop on payload. Each truck model of Tundra will have a different payload. I looked at a new Tundra that had 200 lb less payload than our little Tundra. It was a full cab 4x4 with 6 ft box.

Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
BTW our 2005 Tundra tows our Escape 21 up the steepest passes at 50 mph, but has to work hard. A newer Tundra would have even more oomph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
One thing to carefully consider in any truck you choose is the payload. That is a critical spec that is often overlooked, and a very important factor when towing a 5th wheel...
I agree. Too many people look at only the engine and the maximum trailer weight rating. That's what this was about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... I would be more interested in checking for sufficient payload to handle the pin weight (a possible concern with the Colorado but hopefully not with a Silverado 2500) than picking either a brand or an engine type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
... whether or not you need 4x4 as that will reduce your payload. Had I studied that factor better before buying my RAM, i would not have the 4x4, only have used it a few times...
4WD usually reduces payload, because it makes the truck heavier without increasing the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR minus the weight of the truck is the payload available). In some cases 4WD doesn't reduce payload, because the manufacturer changes other components to increase GVWR to accommodate the extra hardware of 4WD.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #34

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
We have a 5.0TA and pull it with a GMC Sierra crew cab, short bed pickup. Love the GMC and although I have descent turn ability with short bed, I wish that I had at least a six foot bed for turn and cargo carrying ability. Love our ETI fifth wheel and plan on enjoying it for may years.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop", sold Coleman pop up
We are to get a 21' next year. I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 4WD crew cab short bed with 5.3L V8 and 3.08 rear end. I know it will pull the 21' well. What I don't know is if I will truly need a weight distributing hitch or sway control. I have never had one but this trailer will be somewhat larger and heavier than any I have previously towed. Anyone towing a 21' with this or similar tow vehicle without a weight distributing hitch and sway control? What are your experiences?
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Get the diesel Colorado. It has rec'd nothing but praise and is a good match for the trailer. Check YOUTUBE for video reviews...especially The Fast Lane Truck series.
M.W.Deters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:35 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
W
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
We are to get a 21' next year. I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 4WD crew cab short bed with 5.3L V8 and 3.08 rear end. I know it will pull the 21' well. What I don't know is if I will truly need a weight distributing hitch or sway control. I have never had one but this trailer will be somewhat larger and heavier than any I have previously towed. Anyone towing a 21' with this or similar tow vehicle without a weight distributing hitch and sway control? What are your experiences?

You won't need the hitch.

I generally have left my Anderson off lately, but did attach it for some heavy crosswinds on this last trip. Or if I was travelling nose heavy, like w full waste tanks.

BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote