What's the right Hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
What's the right Hitch

I know nothing about towing. I am considering a 17 or 19' Escape Trailer and I see on the estimate sheet that there are three options for the Hitch (i.e. Equalizer Hitch, Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control Bar, and Integrated Sway Control & Weight Distribution Hitch). What's the difference between the three hitches. I own a 2006 Honda Ridgeline which has a 5,000 pound towing capacity which I would use for towing the trailer if that makes a difference.
Sawdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Hitch

From the picture on the option sheet, what they are calling an Equalizer hitch is the Reese Pro Series which has been their standard for a while. I tow a 19 with an FJ Cruiser rated 5000 lbs, that hitch works well for me.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sway happens when the trailer is improperly loaded, too light on the tongue. With a heavier tongue then sway is minimized. However a heavier tongue weight, like 500 lbs may cause your tow vehicle to sag in the rear. A weight distribution system transfers some weight to the front of the tow and the rear of the trailer, allowing a more level tow situation.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Until you hook up and know your tongue weight then you can determine what to do next. I installed air bags to keep my truck level, a weight distribution my or may not be needed. Almost a trial and error situation.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Here is an extreme example of how a weight distribution hitch is able to transfer some...or all of the weight to the front wheels. Keep in mind that taking to much weight off of the rear wheels can be dangerous on curvy wet roads...etc
And what Hugh...said
Attached Thumbnails
6BB9BA6C-6755-44BA-B31B-F089004D2D90.jpeg  
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Your Ridgeline should be able to tow either a 17 or a 19 ok. I'd focus on deciding which trailer meets your needs. If you haven't already done so, contact Escape so they can put you in touch with owners in your area. Tour the different models. Once you've settled on the size, you can deal with options and other details. But, you don't really need to figure out the WDH before pickup. Escape will set you up with a WDH (if needed) when you pick up the trailer, and they'll make sure it's installed correctly. I would think a Pro Series (yes, Escape calls it an Equalizer - but it's not) would be fine.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Check your owner's manual as Honda does not recommend WDH for some models.

Beyond that, I do know that TAFraser was towing a 21 with his, however haven't heard much from him here for some time. Bill and Earline used to tow a 21 with a Ridgeline however went to a Diesel Ram truck. The new 19 weighs about as much as the older 21's FYI.

The sage advice is not to match your current tow to a trailer; do that in reverse. Can definitely speak from experience with that one.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote