What's your tug for a 19' - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: What's your tug for a 19'

Hmmm....It has me wondering. The wording in my manual is likely a cover your ass thing too. The wording goes:

Weight Distribution Hitch

A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with your vehicle, as an improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce handling, stability, and braking performance.

Note that is says 'may reduce', not that it will have any negative effect. I do wonder though should a warranty issue arise with the suspension.
This all said, what WD hitch did you all go with, the one escape supplies, or another one?

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #12

The manual does recommend sway control if needed though.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6

Quote: Note that is says 'may reduce', not that it will have any negative effect. I do wonder though should a warranty issue arise with the suspension.
This all said, what WD hitch did you all go with, the one escape supplies, or another one?

Toyota doesn't have a class three hitch for the RAV, so the dealer got it through a guy who does the installation at the dealership ( they use him regularly ) and it was done as part of the deal for the vehicle before delivery. Mine is Hidden Hitch. The "after market" class III hitch cost $300 less than the Toyota class II hitch and included installation of the brake controller and heavier wiring.

When I picked up my 17B, Reace installed the Escape equalizer and adjusted it, so it is properly set.

One might find that a manufacturer's manual says, "the use of tires on this vehicle is not recommended as they may be improperly inflated and affect handling".

Anyway, if it's not a specific warning, just a recommendation, I don't see it being a warranty issue, and neither did the hitch installer I talked to ( and I didn't buy the hitch from him ).

Now, if I could just remember which link in the chain goes over the hook. Might be a good idea to mark that link when Reace has it set. And, pay close attention to using the equalizer thereafter. You have to crank the tongue up to take tension off of it before you release the bars. If you don't, you either can't release the bars or if you're using the extension tool for leverage, it might release violently and drive itself into the pavement. And that's why you remove the bars with the tow and trailer on level ground.

baglo

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6

I doubt you will need sway control. I had to swerve violently at 50kph to avoid a sudden pot-hole. The RAV missed it, but the Toad didn't, entirely. I didn't notice any loss of control. Been in cross winds and passed by semis. No problem.

baglo

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #15

Hi Jim,
I used to pull our 17' "Casita de Hokie" with our 2004 Pilot. The reason they say no equalizer hitch has to do with their uni-body construction. That being said (by our Honda mechanic), when we towed at higher speeds, I never felt the front end was completely down and would feel like "skating" on turns in the road (again, at higher speeds, like on an Interstate). We bought a 2008 Jeep Sahara Wrangler (4 dr) and started towing with that, with an equalizer hitch, and it worked great. If I'd still been pulling with the Honda, I'd have put an equalizer on it despite the warning. Does the unibody construction mean it doesn't have a sturdy frame? Well, that's what they told us!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #16

Hi Dan, I had wondered if it might have anything to do with the uniibody design. I really can't see that thought, as most mid-sized and smaller SUV's have a unibody (even Ford is going to this design with the Explorer in the future). Honda has also beefed up the rear suspension with the '09 model too.

I think I may phone the Hitch Shop to see what they have to say, and whether they would warranty the use of on equalizer hitch.

Still, what I may do is to give it a go without a weight distribution hitch, and if I feel it could use it, buy one. A friction sway bar is cheap and easy to install if I want some sway protection.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA

Hi: HokieEscape... What were your feelings towing the 5.0 with the Nissan pickup Did you encounter any skating etc
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett

Still, what I may do is to give it a go without a weight distribution hitch, and if I feel it could use it, buy one. A friction sway bar is cheap and easy to install if I want some sway protection.
That sounds like a plan. You can always add, but they won't take it back. Most of the time, the Pilot handled it great, except high speed, down hill, curves, again, like on an Interstate. With the beefed up rear end, it may have taken care of it. It's a great car!
To answer Alf above, no, nothing but solid on the ground control. It was great, even at 11,000 feet in the snow! Except for the "bumping" you get pulling anything on uneven roads, you'd hardly know it was back there (except you can't see out of your rear view mirror : - ))
Old 04-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #19

I would like to know what's your tug for the 5.0. We are looking for a truck to do this. Any help
would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Floyd and Dana
Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #20

Hi Pioneer,
We pull with an '09 Nissan Frontier, and love it! It's comfortable, and has LOTS of power. It handles the 5.0 with ease. The ONLY thing I don't like about the Frontier, is it's turning radius. If you look up most any write up on the Frontier, I think it's about the only thing they say as well. It's definitely something to get used to. But, I'd defiinitely recommend it! Ours is an LE, but the SE will do the same. You will not need the high lift axle if you use the Frontier,