What's your tug for a 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #1

What's your tug for a 19'

I'm curious what people are using, or plan to use to tow their 19' Escapes.
Currrently I tow a 13' Boler with a CRV, but I'm seriously considering upgrading to a larger Escape and of course I'll need a different vehicle.
The balance between decent mileage driving around, while still having the omph to pull a TT will have some impact on whether I chose 17 or 19.
Any feedback/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Deb
Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: What's your tug for a 19'

I went looking 8 months ago knowing I was going to get a trailer like the 19, and after looking around decided on the '09 Honda Pilot. I am quite happy with it, it is well thought out and real easy to drive. It is no speed demon, nor is it sporty looking, but the bottom line is that it works wonderfully. I am looking forward to hooking it up to my 19 when I pick it up. It has a 4,500 lb towing capacity. I got the Touring model, so it came 100% ready to hook up to a trailer, with only a brake controller needed. All models of the '09 Pilots come with a hitch receiver and are real easy to set up for towing.

That said, there are dozens of V6 powered vehicles that are very capable for towing. I would choose one that also fits all your other needs too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #3

We pulled our 19 footer home with a 2005 Toyota Sienna with the towing package, equalizer hitch from Reace. We got 6 km/l going up the Coquihalla which has some steep grades. The rest of the way home we got 6.3 - 6.7 km/l. My husband wants to upgrade next year to the new Highlander which has a 5000 lb. towing capacity, the Sienna only has 3500.
ellen smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

We will be towing our 19 Escape with our Toyota Tacoma
it has the TRD package so it will tow 6500LBS.
We ordered our Escape with the high lift axle
so it will be perfectly level with our truck.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Edgar

Doug,

Did you verify hitch height of the high-lift axel trailer with the Tacoma TDR? Are you getting the equilizer hitch?

You'll save me a bunch of time researching.

Edgar

!9' Escape, '06 Tacoma TDR
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #6

Hi Edgar

Yes I checked it with Tammy and she said it would be about 22" to the top of the hitch ball
The Tacoma measures about 22.5" (also to the ball top), so it should work perfectly,
I'm also getting the equalizer hitch when I pick up the trailer, my neighbour has a 08 Tacoma SR5
and he pulls a 5000+ LB trailer with no problems.
Hope this helps

ps:- that little cubby hole down and to the right of the steering wheel holds
a Takonsha Prodigy brake controller perfectly.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #7

Doug, do you think you will need an equalizer hitch? I was planning on going without one, as Honda recommends to not use them (not sure why though). I will likely just use a friction sway bar for now and see how it does.

The Pilot does not have a great place to put the brake controller, I have to watch my knee getting in. I went with the Tekonsha P3. Installation was a snap though, about 5 minutes tops.

I am not following the 22.5" to the top of the ball though, does that not depend on what the offset is on the hitch? The top of my reciever is at 19", so I will need to figure out what I need for a hitch soon too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'

We are intending to pull our 19 with our 2000 Toyota 4Runner. It is rated for pulling 4500 lbs., has the factory tow package and we have pulled both of our 17' Casitas with it - they are rated 2385 lbs dry weight. With the 19 at 2600 lbs there abouts I feel it should do the job, and I doubt we load up 1900 lbs. of stuff in the camper. Without towing, we get about 20-22 mpg with the V-6. We used a WDH (weight distribution hitch) with the Casitas as they came with it and I like the fact that the WDH takes some of the strain off the TV rear suspension. I'm not sure it is necessary with the 4Runner, but I am comfortable giving the car a bit of a break.
When pulling the Casitas, all was smooth on the flat or gentle hills, but with steeper hills she's a-workin' pretty hard. We had a VW camper van quite a while ago, so I've been used to being passed on the longer hills :-). Our first Casita had an anti-sway bar, but I never used it - both of them towed like a dream even with cross winds and only gave an occasional minor acknowledgment of being passed by an 18 wheeler. I feel pretty sure I will experience the same with the 19.
In selecting a tow vehicle, check the weight it is rated for in towing. The higher the poundage, the more comfortable the vehicle will be in its job and the happier you will be in the end. Unless it is a highly rated rig, I would recommend a WDH for the reason mentioned previously. Finally, I would guess that you balance the towing weight with the estimated gas milage of the proposed tow vehicle and what percentage of your driving will be done towing the trailer - in the end, it's all a balancing act - milage and usage...
Hope this helps, just an opinion after all... Ian

Old 04-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

quote: do you think you will need an equalizer hitch? I was planning on going without one, as Honda recommends to not use them (not sure why though).

Toyota also does not recommend a equalizer hitch on the RAV. However, it's just a sentence in the text and not a highlighted yellow warning. I have searched the web, sent email to Toyota ( no response ) and have not got a rationale for the recommendation.

I spoke to a tech at a large hitch installer and he said it isn't an issue and Escape recommends them, particularly with front wheel drive ( which may be all that's operating at any given time on a 4-wheel-drive vehicle ). He said it's like a manufacturer who puts "Off Road" decals on the vehicle and then in the manual recommends you stay on pavement.

Just covering their ass.

And, you will find the ride in the tow more comfortable with the equalizer hitch.

baglo
Old 04-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Doug, do you think you will need an equalizer hitch? I was planning on going without one, as Honda recommends to not use them (not sure why though). I will likely just use a friction sway bar for now and see how it does.

The Pilot does not have a great place to put the brake controller, I have to watch my knee getting in. I went with the Tekonsha P3. Installation was a snap though, about 5 minutes tops.

I am not following the 22.5" to the top of the ball though, does that not depend on what the offset is on the hitch? The top of my reciever is at 19", so I will need to figure out what I need for a hitch soon too.
Hi Jim

I could probably get away without one, but I know the back end of my Tacoma
will ride a bit lower with the tongue weight on it and I would have to air up the rear tires.
With that in mind I have helped hook my neighbour's truck & trailer and when we
adjusted the equalizer hitch everything leveled out sooooo nice I think its the only way to go.

As for the ball hight, that is using the straight hitch that comes with the equalizer assembly
which in my Tacoma receiver works out to 22.5" to the ball top.
Sorry I snitched the picture from Escape site.

Attached Thumbnails
equalizer hitch.jpg  
Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #11

Hmmm....It has me wondering. The wording in my manual is likely a cover your ass thing too. The wording goes:

Weight Distribution Hitch

A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with your vehicle, as an improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce handling, stability, and braking performance.

Note that is says 'may reduce', not that it will have any negative effect. I do wonder though should a warranty issue arise with the suspension.
This all said, what WD hitch did you all go with, the one escape supplies, or another one?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #12

The manual does recommend sway control if needed though.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #13

Quote: Note that is says 'may reduce', not that it will have any negative effect. I do wonder though should a warranty issue arise with the suspension.
This all said, what WD hitch did you all go with, the one escape supplies, or another one?

Toyota doesn't have a class three hitch for the RAV, so the dealer got it through a guy who does the installation at the dealership ( they use him regularly ) and it was done as part of the deal for the vehicle before delivery. Mine is Hidden Hitch. The "after market" class III hitch cost $300 less than the Toyota class II hitch and included installation of the brake controller and heavier wiring.

When I picked up my 17B, Reace installed the Escape equalizer and adjusted it, so it is properly set.

One might find that a manufacturer's manual says, "the use of tires on this vehicle is not recommended as they may be improperly inflated and affect handling".

Anyway, if it's not a specific warning, just a recommendation, I don't see it being a warranty issue, and neither did the hitch installer I talked to ( and I didn't buy the hitch from him ).

Now, if I could just remember which link in the chain goes over the hook. Might be a good idea to mark that link when Reace has it set. And, pay close attention to using the equalizer thereafter. You have to crank the tongue up to take tension off of it before you release the bars. If you don't, you either can't release the bars or if you're using the extension tool for leverage, it might release violently and drive itself into the pavement. And that's why you remove the bars with the tow and trailer on level ground.

baglo
Old 04-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #14

I doubt you will need sway control. I had to swerve violently at 50kph to avoid a sudden pot-hole. The RAV missed it, but the Toad didn't, entirely. I didn't notice any loss of control. Been in cross winds and passed by semis. No problem.

baglo
Old 04-18-2009, 06:12 AM   #15

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Hi Jim,
I used to pull our 17' "Casita de Hokie" with our 2004 Pilot. The reason they say no equalizer hitch has to do with their uni-body construction. That being said (by our Honda mechanic), when we towed at higher speeds, I never felt the front end was completely down and would feel like "skating" on turns in the road (again, at higher speeds, like on an Interstate). We bought a 2008 Jeep Sahara Wrangler (4 dr) and started towing with that, with an equalizer hitch, and it worked great. If I'd still been pulling with the Honda, I'd have put an equalizer on it despite the warning. Does the unibody construction mean it doesn't have a sturdy frame? Well, that's what they told us!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #16

Hi Dan, I had wondered if it might have anything to do with the uniibody design. I really can't see that thought, as most mid-sized and smaller SUV's have a unibody (even Ford is going to this design with the Explorer in the future). Honda has also beefed up the rear suspension with the '09 model too.

I think I may phone the Hitch Shop to see what they have to say, and whether they would warranty the use of on equalizer hitch.

Still, what I may do is to give it a go without a weight distribution hitch, and if I feel it could use it, buy one. A friction sway bar is cheap and easy to install if I want some sway protection.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: HokieEscape... What were your feelings towing the 5.0 with the Nissan pickup Did you encounter any skating etc
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett

Still, what I may do is to give it a go without a weight distribution hitch, and if I feel it could use it, buy one. A friction sway bar is cheap and easy to install if I want some sway protection.
That sounds like a plan. You can always add, but they won't take it back. Most of the time, the Pilot handled it great, except high speed, down hill, curves, again, like on an Interstate. With the beefed up rear end, it may have taken care of it. It's a great car!
To answer Alf above, no, nothing but solid on the ground control. It was great, even at 11,000 feet in the snow! Except for the "bumping" you get pulling anything on uneven roads, you'd hardly know it was back there (except you can't see out of your rear view mirror : - ))
Old 04-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #19

I would like to know what's your tug for the 5.0. We are looking for a truck to do this. Any help
would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Floyd and Dana
Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #20

Hi Pioneer,
We pull with an '09 Nissan Frontier, and love it! It's comfortable, and has LOTS of power. It handles the 5.0 with ease. The ONLY thing I don't like about the Frontier, is it's turning radius. If you look up most any write up on the Frontier, I think it's about the only thing they say as well. It's definitely something to get used to. But, I'd defiinitely recommend it! Ours is an LE, but the SE will do the same. You will not need the high lift axle if you use the Frontier,