Who is excited for a Subaru to tow your Escape? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
John in Santa Cruz saw what I have been saying for a long time. To many are pulling to much with to little. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #42

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i don't see an issue if someone wants to try one they are rated for 5000 pounds - if you are pulling an appropriate weight trailer and following manufacturers recommendations. I thought he said it does come with an integrated trailer break system and of course you would need it. I think there is always some risk with buying a new model especially from a company that doesn't normally have cars that tow. Looks like it could be an alternative for some people but i would wait for some reviews to come out.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:04 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I thought he said it does come with an integrated trailer break system and of course you would need it.
In the Airstream towing video a controller is mentioned, but it is not described as integrated with the Ascent. It is also located more awkwardly than a factory-integrated controller typically would be. The owners manual says that trailer brakes are required (for trailers over 1,000 pounds), and mentions that there is a 7-pin connector available, but does not mention anything about a Subaru-provided controller.

Owners need to add an aftermarket controller, as with most vehicles other than some pickups and some of the larger SUVs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #44

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
OK couldn't hear it completely thought he said something about adjusting it. Then one would need to be added like we need to add one for the Toyota Highlander.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #45

Quote:
OK couldn't hear it completely thought he said something about adjusting it.
He did. Integrated or aftermarket, any controller will have some adjustment method (buttons, knob, screen menu items...)

Quote:
Then one would need to be added like we need to add one for the Toyota Highlander.
Yes, it's the same situation, although wiring details will vary.

The hitch is sold as an accessory, and appears (from the online build tool) to come complete with a wiring harness. The harness includes both 7-pin and 4-pin connectors, as described in the installation instructions, but there is no mention of a connector for a brake controller. I don't know if that is under the dash as standard equipment, or is just not provided by Subaru.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have a Subaru Forester with the boxer engine and comparing the spec's on my motor and the Ascent, considering the additional weight of the larger car, seems to me both are almost equal while considering the old adage "weight to horsepower ratio" I just do not think it will be a good tow vehicle.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have a Subaru Forester with the boxer engine and comparing the spec's on my motor and the Ascent...
All Forester engines are boxers, but which one did you have in your Forester? There were options, and they varied widely in power.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #48

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
I have a Subaru Forester with the boxer engine and comparing the spec's on my motor and the Ascent, considering the additional weight of the larger car, seems to me both are almost equal while considering the old adage "weight to horsepower ratio" I just do not think it will be a good tow vehicle.

We also have a boxer Subaru Forester and were it not for the tow limits and super unstiff rear suspension, I think it would be a great tow. Well, only in terms of HP, actually. But we do have the turbocharged version that used to be faster than what they put in the WRX’s. Love that Forester. But it’s just no good for towing anything bigger than our itty bitty utility trailer. A full load weighs the back down so much that everyone thinks you’re driving with brights on.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:43 PM   #49

I believe they offered 2 boxer engines, 2.0 and a 2.4, non turbo.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #50

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Who is excited for a Subaru to tow your Escape?

Our 2006 Forester XT has a 2.5L turbo boxer. 230 HP. Vroom vroom!
Old 09-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #51

Mine is a 2015 model, if that makes any difference? Either way, 260 hp and 270 torque is not much for towing another vehicle weighing 2 tons.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Quote:
I believe they offered 2 boxer engines, 2.0 and a 2.4, non turbo.
Subaru says that a 2015 Forester had a choice of 2.5 L non-turbo (only 170 hp), or 2.0 L turbo (250 hp).

The Ascent has a 2.4L turbo engine. That turbocharger makes a substantial difference to performance.

Quote:
Either way, 260 hp and 270 torque is not much for towing another vehicle weighing 2 tons.
As usual with Subaru, the output of the Ascent's engine isn't impressive for a turbo engine of its displacement, but is it an issue? My 230 horsepower van hauls a 3000 pound trailer with no problem, passing most truck-and-trailer rigs up mountain grades. My motorhome weighs more than twice an Ascent and 5,000 pound trailer put together, and falls a couple hundred horsepower short of doubling the Ascent's horsepower; it gets down the highway just fine.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:13 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
its not the horsepower that counts when towing, its the torque, and the ability of the engine (and transmission!) to stay cool when pulling a heavy load at medium-high RPMs in a middle gear when climbing a long grade.

my F250 7.3L turbodiesel is only about 250 HP... but its like 500 ft-lbs of torque at 1500 rpm, which is about 55MPH in top gear. its pretty rare I have to downshift to climb a freeway grade even here in mountainous northern California unless the grade is 8% or the speeds drop below 50MPH.... nothing I've done with this truck so far in the heat of this summer has made the oil, coolant, or transmission temps more than budge to mildly warmer than running empty in cool weather kinda temps.

the torque converter lockup works in 3rd and 4th/OD, so even if I do have to drop to 3rd, it will do 60MPH at around 2500 rpm all day long. One thing I noted while playing with Torque Pro on road trips, if I've had to downshift to third under heavy load, I need to back off on the throttle for just a blip then the torque converter lockup re-engages, and the RPMs lock down...

and yeah, the 7.3 is a relatively old school 'dinosaur' engine, newer diesels have way more torques and horses, but they are also way more expensive to maintain.

Note, this is a 8800 lb GVWR truck pulling a 4800 lb trailer... the truck is rated for 20,000 lbs GCWR.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote