Why not buy an old tow vehicle - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
I think there's a happy medium on how "used" it's wise to go, and how much information about the specific vehicle under consideration that it's necessary to acquire before buying.

Last spring I bought a 2012 Tundra from our local Toyota dealer with 56,000 kms. on it to pull our Escape 21. The truck had come in off lease, and I knew its history because a friend lives next door to the lessee in our small town and could attest to how well he looked after the truck. The Toyota service records show no repairs, and all servicing done on time.

During my search for a Tundra I ruled out any truck from a location with a harsh winter, any vehicle that had been auctioned, and any dealer that couldn't provide complete service records.

We've had two camping trips to Utah and central BC for a total of six weeks towing and the Tundra drives and pulls like new. So far, so good.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
I think there's a happy medium on how "used" it's wise to go, and how much information about the specific vehicle under consideration that it's necessary to acquire before buying.
I agree.

When my Ford Focus (which I liked driving) stranded me on a highway due to the complete failure of the charging system, I was able to limp it to a Ford dealership. While I was waiting for the $1000 fix, a new car sales rep tried to sell me another one... and sloughed off the failure of my current 120,000 km / 8 year old Focus as unimportant because it was "old". Funny, as a Toyota owner I thought of that mileage and age as "well broken in and proven".

Age is relative to reasonable expectations of that vehicle (and apparently expectations are low at one Ford dealership). I would not hesitate to set off cross-county with our 180,000 km 12-year-old Toyota Sienna, which we have owned since new. I would not have trusted our 1980 Chevy pickup at that same age, which was bought used, privately, and without any known history.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:26 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post

That reminds me of something I found out from a friend during my searching for a T.V.. On some of the nationwide vehicle search websites, there were some cars that were remarkably good deals; they were from Hurricane Sandy areas. Turns out that they were insurance co. salvage due to mud inundation.
How would you know? CarFax maybe?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:30 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Don,
Those should have a "salvage title" if coming from a reputable source. However, they may not always have a salvage title, but price is usually a red flag to check thoroughly.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
On some of the nationwide vehicle search websites, there were some cars that were remarkably good deals; they were from Hurricane Sandy areas. Turns out that they were insurance co. salvage due to mud inundation.
Yes, spotting major damage which had been covered by insurance is the one thing for which I think CarFax and CarProof are quite useful.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:36 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Beware, too, of pickups dumped on the used market that have been used on industrial sites, such as the oil sands in Alberta. They often have few signs of wear or abuse and reasonable odometer readings for their age, but the crews will have run the engines day and night on almost every shift to keep the heater going in winter and the AC on during the hotter months. I was told that fine gravel imbedded in the radiator reveals that a truck was used on certain job sites.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #47

Trailer: 2016 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
My RAV4 is still going strong after more than 127,000 miles on it, more than half towing. I do use synthetic oil (not required for the 2010) and change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. I will probably look at replacing it in the Spring, but other than routine maintenance (and brakes), I've only had to replace one axle seal & one O2 sensor.
Friends (who have not driven or towed with a RAV 4) advise against it because of its short wheel base. Is that an issue for you? I would tow a 17b.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:44 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Steve I think you need to buy what YOU like, need, can afford and will do the job etc. Ask 100 people what to buy and you will probably get 125 different answers. LOL

Cheers
Doug
What you say, I have found, is so true!
Old 12-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #49

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Towed a 17B with a 2008 RAV4 V6 for seven years, with a Pro Series weight distribution hitch, with no issues whatsoever. Not affected by semi trailers blowing by, nor cross winds, nor having to take sudden evasive action.
Tow and trailer behave as a unit.
Jon has way more miles on his than I do, and I expect he will concur.

* does not apply to vehicles after 2012
Old 12-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #50

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We have a 2006 Ford Escape and a 17B---so similar to the RAV4--we would get another Escape if we could but the new ones aren't made for towing any more--just like the new Rav4.
I think we'll go up to a Highlander but have had no issues towing our trailer and have been on various roads and mountain passes...

Tows just great--no maintenance issues with towing...I still can't back up worth a darn but that is called practice!!(although I understand the longer wheel base might make it easier--the highlander is a bit longer) Either that or a Tacoma...haven't decided and hope to not make the decision for at least a year and a bit...
Old 12-01-2015, 09:58 PM   #51

If I have to replace the RAV4, I will likely move to Highlander, but not because I fell in love with it. I've looked at lots of potential tow vehicles, but none of them make my heart beat faster.
Maybe I'm just old, but I remember when I was a kid and loved cars.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
That reminds me of something I found out from a friend during my searching for a T.V.. On some of the nationwide vehicle search websites, there were some cars that were remarkably good deals; they were from Hurricane Sandy areas. Turns out that they were insurance co. salvage due to mud inundation.
Once looked at a used Toyota pickup at Ford dealer -something funny about the truck saw mud and grass under truck which no one could explain . Also seemed like carpet inside had previously been wet . Just bad vibes about the truck . Where are all the brand new vehicles after flooding ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While the RAV4 does have a fairly short wheel base, I believe the stability when towing comes from the very short distance between the rear wheels & the hitch. Less leverage for the trailer to toss the tow vehicle around.

In any case, it has been a very stable tow vehicle (with a weight distribution hitch).
Old 12-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #54

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
No idea where it originated, but I've seen 110" wheelbase is good for up to a 20' trailer. Has to do with preventing, or limiting trailer sway effecting the tow vehicle. A quick google shows a RAV4 with 104.7", pretty close.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #55

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Hi,
I bought a 2004 Chevy Express van with All wheel drive and 5.3 liter V-8 used for $21000 in 2005. It had 12,000 miles on it. It lives in northern Michigan and has never spent a night in a garage. It has towed a Scamp 16 for over 30,000 miles. It gets 19 mpg on the highway solo and 16 in town. Towing the Scamp it gets 13-14 mpg depending on which mountain we ask it to climb.
It had 111,000 when we left for Alaska in 2010. It had 157,000 miles on it in 2013 when we drove from Mich to Fla to Portland, Or. and back. No problems!!
It now has 198,200 miles on it. Shocks and exhaust are all original. Rust from Michigan salt is eating it. I would leave for Alaska tomorrow, but my lovely wife thinks it look shabby. Wheel bearings, brakes, and tires, have been replaced as needed.

I think in high altitude, mountain terrain, a tow vehicle needs all or 4 wheel drive and tons of power to not be the slow dog in the right lane. Run a big engine in your tow vehicle
and you enjoy quieter and faster climbs. V-6 power is not fun on the Bear Tooth highway.

A full sized van or pickup with a cap is the ultimate tow vehicle because you can bring most everything and have a place to put it and the power to climb.

My opinion is worth what I'm paid for it. Not much.
Andy b.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #56

I think I reflected on the wisdom of this comment more than anything else.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Getting back to used cars -- So far -- knock on wood -- our experience with our 2009 Toyota Highlander -- purchased in 2013 with 80,000 miles -- has been excellent. We've only bought used cars for the past 30 years -- includiing the two
Suburbans that worked admirably to pull our Airstream (the first one was running fine but then the neighborhood firebug torched it) but this time we thought we might buy new. Then we saw this one,which appeared by all accounts to be in impeccable condition, even with the high mileage. Two mechanics told us (without seeing it though) that 80000 miles on a Toyota is the new 40,000. So we did it. We drove it for nine months before we towed and had it checked out before we left to pick up our Escape.

So that is our experience. It's not the definitive experience, but Terry's always felt that buyin a new car that turned out to be a lemon would drive up his blood pressure higher than problems with a used car.

We've been non two cross country trips now and so far so good.
Ruthe, we just bought a 2007 4wd Highlander Limited with factory installed tow package. The tow capacity is 3,500 pounds. We pick up our new 17' Escape in a couple of months.

Consumer Reports in their most recent annual vehicle edition (April 2015) lists 30 vehicles they would recommend to family and friends. The Highlander is one. 😊
Old 12-30-2015, 07:54 PM   #58

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Ruthe, we just bought a 2007 4wd Highlander Limited with factory installed tow package. The tow capacity is 3,500 pounds. We pick up our new 17' Escape in a couple of months.

Consumer Reports in their most recent annual vehicle edition (April 2015) lists 30 vehicles they would recommend to family and friends. The Highlander is one. ��
Steven I think you will have a fine towing experience. After consultation with folks here who use one, we're getting a new Highlander (with tow package so 5000# tow rating) to use with our current 17B and with our (hopefully) upcoming in 2017 21'. After driving a Highlander, we both really enjoyed the ride and friends who tow 21's with them report a great towing experience too. (I'm not of the philosophy that one needs a tow vehicle rated to tow a trailer 2 or 3 times heavier than what you plan to tow...but to each their own in that regard. When i'm towing up mountain passes I don't feel the need to be in the left land passing everyone. We're retired so we just enjoy the view on the way up. )

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Steven I think you will have a fine towing experience. After consultation with folks here who use one, we're getting a new Highlander (with tow package so 5000# tow rating) to use with our current 17B and with our (hopefully) upcoming in 2017 21'. After driving a Highlander, we both really enjoyed the ride and friends who tow 21's with them report a great towing experience too. (I'm not of the philosophy that one needs a tow vehicle rated to tow a trailer 2 or 3 times heavier than what you plan to tow...but to each their own in that regard. When i'm towing up mountain passes I don't feel the need to be in the left land passing everyone. We're retired so we just enjoy the view on the way up. )
Your left lane comments match my sentiments exactly. Just curious what model Highlander you plan to get. Am particularly interested in whether you will go with 2WD, AWD, or 4WD. I got 4WD because it is what this used vehicle had, but I otherwise do not feel strong on these options. Also curious if you plan to get a hybrid. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:32 PM   #60

I don't think thoer will have much choice, if he wants the tow package and/or heated seats. Auto companies offer "trim levels" so, if you want this, you have to buy that, and that, and that.
I suspect it will be the Highlander Limited ( with seats for seven ). Same with Hyundai Santa Fe.