Anybody Stayed at Claybanks RV Park in Merritt, BC? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Anybody Stayed at Claybanks RV Park in Merritt, BC?

So we (by "we" I mean me...my wife delegates the details) are getting serious about the trip back from BC to Maine in June.

Our orientation is supposed to take place on a Friday at 8:00AM, so what I am thinking of doing is once we take delivery in Sumas, to head back across the border into Canada, and head up BC-5 toward Kamloops. However, we probably won't want to go too far that day so we can get the trailer set up, make sure things work (like our memory) and have time to do the happy dance.

We also will want full hookups the first night because...well because! Ok, fine. We have only dry-camped a couple of times and need to be able to fall back on the glorious hookups if we have an emergency. You know, in case we use too much water, or use our hair dyer or the toaster oven too much...?

So anyhow, as is per my routine, I looked on campgroundreviews.com and found the above mentioned campground. It gets pretty good ratings, but of course, I am 100% ignorant of anything west of Vermont, when it comes to good/bad campgrounds. We will drive to Glacier NP Saturday, so we are looking for just the one night along the route.

Is there anyone familiar with that campground, or other nice full hookup campgrounds in that area (roughly 125-175 miles from Sumas)?

As always, thank you!!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
If you are staying near Merritt,BC, my recommendation would be monck provincial park campground, which is nearby. I don't believe they have full hookups, but the campground is in a beautiful setting and well worth the stay.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
In 2014 we stayed at Moonshadows in Merritt for our very first night in the trailer and our very first time backing up. We wanted hookups also for much the same reasons you cite. It was rainy that day, the CG was muddy. Moonshadows was near the edge of town near a nice little river. Nothing special about Moodshadows specially after being at Provincial parks but of course you are looking for hookups.

Coquihalla CG in Hope is closer to Chilliwack and is ok for a CG nicer than Moonshadows.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Definitely Monck Provincial Park. One of the nicest places around, no hook ups but you can take on drinking water and they have a Dani dump.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
After leaving Kamloops heading east on TransCanadian Highway head south at Calgary to Lethbridge and tour the famous "Head smashed in buffalo jump) UNESCO site.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
Claybanks

We have stayed at Claybanks a few times. Nice folks run it, and it is clean and well run. It does the job, but certainly is not a destination. Once they were full, and they put us in a field across the street. Monck sounds nice, and we will try it next time. Kentucky Lakes is a hidden gem to the south, but no hook-ups. You will have a great time wherever you end up - our first night was in the Husky Truck stop in Blue River, in November!
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #7

Thanks for the info! Monck PP looks like a great place. However, the one detail which was delegated to me by my wife was "I want hookups our first night."

Granted, we will hopefully be staying in the NP campgrounds at Glacier and Yellowstone, so we will be initiated into "properly" managing our resources at that time.

But I do want to able to to the happy dance and not the dance with my hands over my head while my wife pelts me with one of her newly quilted pillows while emphatically emphasizing "one detail, I just asked for one detail!" while our kids laugh and take videos for Vine...
Old 02-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've chosen to stay at Moonshadows over Claybanks. Claybanks has a 24 hour wood mill operation behind it, up on the hill. Other than that, it's OK.
Pic is Moonshadow ( couple years ago ).
Attached Thumbnails
Moonshadow 3.jpg   MoonS 2 2014 W.jpg  
Old 02-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #9

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
Last March we stayed in Wildrose campground in Hope BC to de-winterize and get set up. It was reccomended here ( thanks whoever that was)

Not far but before the Coquihalla hills

They have full hook ups and some pull through sites
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
After leaving Kamloops heading east on TransCanadian Highway head south at Calgary to Lethbridge and tour the famous "Head smashed in buffalo jump) UNESCO site.
I'd second this! I found this to be very interesting when we were there some years back.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
If your out this way going to Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump there is a nice full hook up campground in Claresholm not to far north. Claresholm Centennial Park Campground.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #12

We had thought about going down 95 at Golden, just west of Banff. Unless that is not advisable? if that were the case, we wouldn't get as far east as Calgary. We wanted to head South at Golden because that directly to the west side of Glacier NP...
Old 02-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #13

Suggest you bookmark Drive BC for Highway cams and Environment Canada for weather alerts.

B.C.Highway Cams

Vancouver, BC - 7 Day Forecast - Environment Canada
Old 02-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
If your out this way going to Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump there is a nice full hook up campground in Claresholm not to far north. Claresholm Centennial Park Campground.
We concur, Claresholm has a great campground.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #15

BTW.
Claybanks has few trees to back into and the Home Hardware is about three blocks away if you find you need a laundry basket or pressure reduction valve. Liquor store, large grocery and a latte are also about three blocks.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #16

Thanks everyone for the input!! I think we will stay at Claybanks. We have also decided to spend an extra day in Canada to enjoy the Banff area. If there is a recommendation in that area Provincial Park or private, we'd also be grateful as well!
Old 02-22-2016, 12:16 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Here is another option you may wish to consider. A few miles north of Merrit on Highway 5A is the historic Quilchena Hotel owned by the Douglas Lake Ranch (largest ranch in Canada). Part of their operation is a nearby golf course and RV park with 25 fully serviced units. Highway 5A is the old highway from Meritt to Kamloops and is a very scenic alternative to Highway 5 (the Coquihalla).
Here is a link that includes information on the RV park. I have not stayed there but the old hotel is lovely, in fact it was where my daughter was married. DOUGLAS LAKE RANCH | CAMPING
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote