Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #1

Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds

If anyone in your party is at least 62, you can get a government Senior Pass for $10 for life and pay half price at Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds. They do not have a lot of campgrounds but some of our best stays were with them. There is a book titled, Camping With the Corps Campgrounds by Wright, new edition April 2011. It has maps for each state with the locations. Of course, you can stay with them at any age but the senior rates make it very low.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Re: Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds

We use our Senior Pass a lot -- half off on USFS and NP campgrounds, and free entry to NP's. Sweet deal -- one of the small fringe benefits of aging.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Several years back we stayed at Army Corps of Eng. maintained campground, at Cochiti, New Mexico. Located about 40 miles north of Albuquerque, on I-25 toward Santa Fe, just past the pueblo and Cochiti Lake. Nothing fancy then, washrooms quite Spartan, but very well maintained, clean, friendly, up on a scenic hillside,and twelve bucks a night with water and electricity. How could you go wrong? Psst---keep this place a secret. 8)
Attached Thumbnails
Cochiti-1.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #4

Trailer: none
The corps campground at Abiquiu, NM is also very nice...sites overlooking the reservoir. Nice bathrooms too!
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've stayed in a couple, and they were great. The only problem I have is they take reservations, and are usually full on weekends. Since I never know where I'll be ahead of time I usually have to move on Friday nights. The Moutardier COE campground in KY was very nice...
Old 11-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #6

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
The corps campground at Abiquiu, NM is also very nice...sites overlooking the reservoir. Nice bathrooms too!
We stayed there last June. Like so many of the Corps of Engineers camps, it was very nice and inexpensive with the federal "old timers" card. Beware of frequent winds. Had to roll up our awning then rescue a tent that nearly launched while the neighbor was away.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #7

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealmccarter View Post
We stayed there last June. Like so many of the Corps of Engineers camps, it was very nice and inexpensive with the federal "old timers" card. Beware of frequent winds. Had to roll up our awning then rescue a tent that nearly launched while the neighbor was away.
Ah well....that is NM! Putting up an awning in NM is always an chancey thing...especially in the spring!! That's when Arizona blows into NM!
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy, Midwest U.S. View Post
They do not have a lot of campgrounds but some of our best stays were with them.
Actually they do have a lot of campgrounds, It always amazes me where I find them. There are so many river systems they are involved in managing it surprises me. The best way to find them is look for rivers. Of course the Mississippi, but then all the tributaries like the Missouri, Tennessee, Arkansas etc. Then look at other rivers like the Columbia, Rio Grande the list goes on.

I thought I read somewhere that they are the second largest campground operator in the US. Number one is the Bureau of Land Management. Not sure what measurement was used for this claim.

The book comes in several editions so be careful to get the latest. Also each COE district has a web site that describes what facilities, it is not the central source that the book is, but perhaps more up to date.

One recommendation is to be sure you know where the site is located, they can be hard to find, even with a GPS. I see some of the COE sites now give latitude and longitude, addresses do not mean much where these locations are found.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You can add them to google maps and have a google map of all the BLM locations.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0 "Day Break"
My favorite campground is a COE site. R. Shaefer Heard in West Point Georgia is my favorite weekend haunt. Beautiful campground, great fishing, clean and quiet. Perfect getaway from Atlanta city madness and only 1 hour from my house! Also they are very reasonably priced as compared to private campgrounds... I don't qualify for senior discounts yet so I rely on Good Sams when I can get them.
itoddday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 15B
Here's a link to the CofE Campground book mentioned by Cathy in a previous post:
Camping With the Corps of Engineers: The complete guide to campgrounds built and operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers: Micah Wright: 9780937877517: Amazon.com: Books.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #12

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
Thanks for the link. Mine was the 2007 edition, and I was wondering if there was an update.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote