Camp Ground Fees - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We are talking about the same thing, retirement savings is fixed income, there are no cost of livings increases, no raises. Your monthly annuity will not go up as if you were working. Thus the need to save where you can now as tomorrow is here today. Most pensions are fixed thus the security of increases are non-existent.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #22

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Seriously, most are on fixed incomes? I know of next to no seniors of fixed incomes, the vast majority have their retirement savings to go on. Maybe it is a regional thing? Most seniors I know are way better off now, than when they were younger.
We always felt like that when our kids ( now 43-41-30 yrs ) were little …. not so much about the camp fees . When the 2 older ones were little camp fees were not so much , but with the youngest they had gone up . There are many things just around Calgary that are expensive for young families but really cheap for seniors - like that Spruce Meadows Christmas Market …..
Old 12-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Moved all the boat posts to Watercraft thread.

baglo
Old 12-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
I never did fully understand why deals would be given to seniors. As a senior I will be WAY better able to afford the full price, compared to when I was a young adult with young kids. Seems kinda bass ackwards to me, but you do see it in many places, not just some campgrounds.
Jim I guess we should consiter ourselves lucky, as like yourself we have/will have far more income now in retirement then we had when we were younger with kids. When we were younger we never stayed in a campground with hook ups because we simpley couldn't afford it. Now we can and even had enough to buy the best fiberglass trailer on the market imho.

I think seniors are no different then any other age group in that some have more money or income then others. Just my thoughts hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #25

As the bulge of baby boomers moves into the "senior" category, more of the perks are being downgraded or removed. Business and government simply can't afford to give that many people a discount.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
What perks Glenn have you heard are being removed for Canadians due to we baby boomers being so numerous?

Like most retirees I'm sure in this country we must watch our pennies, one reason why we have not yet got our Escape, because we'll need a new tug and we sold our ON house at a loss, don't have enough money now and cannot delve too much into our retirement savings.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #27

BC Ferry has removed the free passenger travel for seniors ( mid-week ) and replaced it with 50 per cent off ( government still has to get re-elected so they didn't remove it entirely. Seniors still have to pay full price for vehicle.
Toronto Dominion bank has eliminated some special fee-free accounts etc. for seniors.
Was a story in the paper about this trend to eliminate senior perks.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Simply put, I would rather pay full price for camping, and give the break to my children or other younger adults. Of course I mean in general, and not just for camping fees.

I know all seniors are in the same boat, even I have had to put off retiring longer than I had originally planned, in order to be able to lead what I consider a more rewarding time in my retirement.

With camping fees, when in campgrounds I do prefer some of the less expensive sites. This is not due to the cost, but that these places usually that have less services and are less commercial, with a more relaxed setting that I prefer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #29

Here's a link to the story on boomer perks:

Onslaught of baby boomers may spell end of seniors discounts
Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Those retired cannot live on their savings or they could be in big trouble. They live on their income. That is usually far less than their salaries were. They have much less income upon retirement.

Using savings to buy a trailer or TV after having saved for such is nothing like living off of savings month to month. Many seniors would run out of money in not long if they did that.

Senior discounts are given for that reason: Seniors simply do not have the income they once had.

Quote:
Seriously, most are on fixed incomes? I know of next to no seniors of fixed incomes, the vast majority have their retirement savings to go on. Maybe it is a regional thing? Most seniors I know are way better off now, than when they were younger.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All...The Canadian gubermint sent me a letter saying they would fix my income as soon as I draw my first cheque. Heck I just got to middle class when they cancelled it...Now the seniors discounts too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
It sounds like there are a lot more seniors than I thought, or am exposed to, that have not saved very much for retirement. I have heard about that, but had it drilled into me since early adulthood to save, save, save. Unfortunately, it did take a while for that to sink in.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have a good bud that's full-timing in a small molded towable. THAT's not what she thought her life was going to be... outsourced outside the US. But, it is what it is. As she often tells me... it's NOT about how much you earn... but ABOUT how much you spend. I'm looking at the narrowing tunnel to having a "fixed" income. As much as I love my 22 y/o daugher. I will be grateful to receiving "Senior Discounts." Because unlike her... where her income can rise... mine probably won't YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #34

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I remind my wife that retired means half the income but twice the husband. She has had three months to get used to both and all is fine. We still manage to save for trips.
BRietkerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Retirement is like a water well, while working your water level stays same because you have fresh water coming in to replace any water used. Upon retirement, you have built up a water reserve but your fresh water becomes a trickle and you start to watch your water use. You may have a deep reserve, but if you take more out than your trickle, it can eventually run dry.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Retirement is like a water well, while working your water level stays same because you have fresh water coming in to replace any water used. Upon retirement, you have built up a water reserve but your fresh water becomes a trickle and you start to watch your water use. You may have a deep reserve, but if you take more out than your trickle, it can eventually run dry.
Hi: cpaharley2008... I just hope my "Water well" doesn't turn into a "Black hole". LoL...Off to see Ed Jones this am to learn how to tread water!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #37

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Alf

Say Hi to Ed from me. Ask if he has anything extra to share with Escape owners who are retired and trying to figure out how to outlive our (as Jim says) deep reserve of water.

All kidding aside my congratulations on your retirement! See you week after next in warm FL

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Excellent analogy, Jim.

Fans of Two and a Half Men might remember the brilliant explanation of this same cash flow situation given to Charlie by his departing accountant, Stan, illustrated with a foam coffee cup and pencil. Based on the Wikipedia list, I think it's season 1, episode 14.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote